SAU Community

Knock Vs Oil Filter

Johnny

Hey guys,

Just though id punch in some info about something to do with oil filters; ill try to explain it:

-Now when i start my car, the knocks would jump to 91-95. I though this was just the starter motor noise but just to check i disconnected my coil packs and cranked the car, yes it did repeat the 90ish knocks without the car starting so i was pretty happy that it wasnt a bad startup tune.

-I have been having an issue with drift oil filters from autobarn with my oil light staying on for 2ish seconds and pressre the same (on startup, even warm start)

This was noticed by creatd ms and myself but i though it was just the oil taking a second to pump around.

-about a week ago i changed back to coopers oil filter and now there is no knock on startup (reaches 1-2max) and my oil light turns straight off in less than a second and i get full pressure.

Coincidence??? no way as it was instant fix for my issue

Conclusion: Bad oil filter or a bad batch; either way im not happy buying a filter which 'may' be bad and potentially wreck a 10k motor.

Take this not as a discredit but simply i will not be using the drift filter again, greddy/coopers/knn for me now.

BTW the oil was 8100xcess 5w40 and 300v changed at 2000km intervals

-Johnny

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drift oil filters? maybe they're designed to leak oil so you can get sideways more easily and the knock is your engine rattling itself to death.

coopers filters are very good quality, keep using them.

I'll take notice when there's some hard evidence about this, I use a Ryco oil filter, and my pressure light goes off straight away, and pressure always reflects whether its a hot day, car's warm etc.

Same diff using Castrol EDGE 5w30 or Motul 8100 Xcess.

Might want to check if there is an anti drain back incorporated into the filter. Some do, some don't.

Getting agricultural but the same thing happens with my dirty diesel patrol with some filters. Genuine nissan are fine and have the anti drain back.

??

drift oil filters? maybe they're designed to leak oil so you can get sideways more easily and the knock is your engine rattling itself to death.

coopers filters are very good quality, keep using them.

Yeah thanks man, dont worry ill keep using coopers or maybe greddy next time for a try

10k motor? when did you get a forged build... i thought it was still a stock RB26, which is worth less than half that :cool:

Cause if it was a 10k motor, you shouldn't be having any problems or using drift filters

Aha i see so if you have a 10k motor and a crappy restrictive filter with low oil pressure then it should be ok? i mean if mine blew then i would spend 10k to rebuild it.

I use Z145A has the anti drain back valve... Slight difference on start up oil pressure registering compared to the other black Ryco filters I used previously. The part number for those excapes me now. No difference on knock noticed between the two however, always sits on 1 doesnt move until I get to about 2500rpm.

Edited by MintR33

I got another question on oil filters. Nissan got 2 types of oil filters that can be fitted to RB-series engine. Big oil filters and small ones. They oall have the same thread. My rb20 had a big one. And an rb25 had a small one. Small one costs more. What are the benefits of running a smaller oil filter if none ?

I always thought, that the bigger the oil filter, the more oil it can hold, the better ?

I got another question on oil filters. Nissan got 2 types of oil filters that can be fitted to RB-series engine. Big oil filters and small ones. They oall have the same thread. My rb20 had a big one. And an rb25 had a small one. Small one costs more. What are the benefits of running a smaller oil filter if none ?

I always thought, that the bigger the oil filter, the more oil it can hold, the better ?

Ive noticed this too mate, umm best way to think of it; smaller one would reach full pressure faster for startup but under full load/high rpm applications you would want a higher capacity as the smaller one would be the restriction.

i dont want to bag drift but itsjust 'one' bad experience can affect the reputation of the company to a small group of potential customers.

Rememmber: a good product; the customer will only tell 5 or so people about, whereas a bad product the customer will tell over 15.

Similar to 2 threads ive read on here about a certain trader SP and their bad customer service.

nissan genuine oil filter. 15208-h8911au

thats the large one

there is no difference between the large and small oil filters, they are just made to save space, but the small ones would build pressure up more.

I buy filters for my mates GTi-R powered N14 pulsar and my R34 and they both do the same job.

Also, large oil filters are made in thailand and the small ones are made in japan, this also reflects in the cost of them!