SAU Community

skyline vs 300zx

G'day I am new to this forum, so go easy on me.

I am after some general pro's and con's for the 1995/96 r33 gts25t and 1990/91 twin turbo 300zx. I am in the market to buy either one of these and given that I will be spending my life savings I want to make the right choice.

Main queries:

1) Running costs - repairs, parts prices etc

2) Performance - which is quicker, handles better

3) Mods - is one more expensive to do up than the other

4) Price - what should I pay for an un-modififed version of each.

All input will be much appreciated.

I was told by a mechanic once that the 300zx is a b14tch to work on, the engine is a mess and takes ages to do simple maintenace.

And someone else told me that the 300zx was just made for the USA market, nothing really special, BUT, i've never been in one so dont listen to me :P

Get a GTS-T, i've had mine for 6+ months, had no dramas at all. I think the Series II, 1996+ looks much nicer too, inside and out.

skyline is heaps cheaper due to more space in engine space, more line on the road also means easy to get parts

stock 300zx is faster, skyline handle better

skyline will be more respone to the mod, 300zx get over heat specially after mod due to the engine bay design, not really good for heavy mod

better check trading post or the for sale section

good luck :P

I've always wanted a 300zx, don't know why really....possibly because I had never heard of a skyline until recently.

I am reading up on them now.....very impressive stats.

Most friends have pushed me towards the skyline, maybe you're all onto something.

wanna spend about 20K, bit less preferably. Is that enough for one that's in pretty good nik (and not too many K's on the clock).

Are there any inherernt faults within the r33 range?

I am particularly interested in the 95/96 r33.

Just want to make sure I know what to look out for when I go out shopping for my dream car.

Anyone with a car of this era for sale, please let me know.

Ready to buy!

Was in the same position not long ago until I bought my Skyline.

Test drive both, I find private sellers are easier to convince to do that. BUT, pop the bonnet on both and have a look. I know nothing about engine maintenance (maybe topping up the water for the wipers...oh and the fuel) but crickey! The 300ZX is absolutely chocka block. Definately look at both though and make your own decision on what YOU like. I Luuuurrrrv my Skyline :P

Nearly had an accident test driving a 300ZX .. hehe

Almost right up the butt of some slow wagon, the owner goes..and I quote.. "LOOK OUT !". I was shaking form the experience and still laugh about it

Don't forget the practical aspects - most 300ZX's here only have 1 passenger seat. The 4 seater ones are also pretty cramped in the back. But having a 2 seater is a good excuse to not have to act as a taxi to your friends :rolleyes:

Main queries:

skyline cheaper.. single turbo, less weight, 2.5 instead of 3.0 engine, more of them around for parts, engine access is easy for repairs.

300zx is faster in straight line.

skyline will handle better being lighter and all.

yes. 300zx is a V6.

meaning it has 2 3cyliner blocks.

each side has it's own air filter, air flow meter,turbo, intercooler, throttle body, manifold, blow off valve, exhaust.

so when you want to do mods like air filter and exhaust, it costs double because you have to get 2 of each.

95-96 R33 skyline will be from $19K - $25K

90-92 300ZX I've seen from $15K - $30K

Also, the thing that everyone knows about the 300zx is the heat issue.

the engine bay is so packed out that there is NO room for air to escape really so in a 13 year old car, you are bound to have cracked or split hoses and so on.

and replacing the little ones in the back of the engine is no easy job.

If you do get a 300zx, make sure that the RADIATOR and all associated hoses and fans are the first things that are checked/replaced.

the other thing is that MANY mechanics will simply NOT take the job for repairs on the 300ZX's...

You said "I am in the market to buy either one of these and given that I will be spending my life savings I want to make the right choice. "

I say, if you get the 300zx, you WILL be spending that on this car..

• 7 months later...

Not knowing too much about the skyline i'm coming from a biased view, however you should choose to do what is practical for you! Yes being a zed owner i can say that it is expensive for parts mostly because if u can't get them second hand they need to be imported from jap. (pain in the butt). Having owned my tt zed for 2 years now, regular maintenance aside, i've only spent about $1500 on repairs, mainly a new heater core. Regarding issues on repairs the timing belt to get repaired doesn't need the engine out and the little bypass hoses are a pain to fix. Therefore if you choose the z be prepared to put a little aside for hidden problems. Thats my view anyway, either would be a good car but think what u need it for. Happy driving.

A friend of mine (Barry) watched his beloved Zed burn to the ground on the roadside just south of Byron Bay (drove from Syd). So, yes - they are well & truly prone to overheating issues.

Having said that, Boosted Zed regularly flogs his on NSW tracks & records some very impressive times. He also knows Skylines inside out. I would suggest you chat with him & determine your best & worst case scenarios before drawing any conclusions.

Ummmkay ?

skyline = sports version of a family car

300zx = expensive grand tourer (sort of like a japanese 928)

the latter is aimed at someone with deeper pockets. its faster, heavier & more thirsty. feels like a giant go-kart to drive due to its low centre of gravity & wide track/short wheelbase layout

if you clock up 200+km a week i'd suggest the skyline mainly because i think it would be less trouble/expense in the long run.

go & talk to UAS at castle hill. they usually have a range of both in stock and opinions based on a lot of experience

As someone mentioned, u wouldnt really wanna spend 16 to 18k on a 11 to 12 yer old car when u can get something around 8 yrs old for about 23 - 25k...

the skyline is A better car all round with heaps of potential........Z32, parts alot harder to get, coolong probs, and much more expensive to run.......i personally couldnt go past the 96 skyline myself.........

Cheers!

It's really up to you on how thick your wallet is. Zeds will easily be more expensive to maintain and to modify. In my opinion, they look and feel like more of a sports car as they're already low to begin with. I've had no overheating/cooling issues in my 2 year ownership.

Ive been in the motor industry for 27 years & can remember the first z at the Birmingham motor show, that same year I saw a yellow one in the states and thought wow ! well in those days they were beyond my pocket & as for skylines- you just did not see them in europe, then 3 & half years ago I came to nz & have owned & driven probaly 20 z's & well over 50 skylines THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO COMPARISON !!!!!!!!!!!!! in my opinion (for what it's worth) the z has poor build quality, rides like crap, has far less tuning options, looked good in 1990 but those looks have just not 'held on' were as look at the bnr32 in comparison, wow that's what 'retro' is all about,it's timeless, look at the 33 coupe 'hard as f*ck, the 34 coupe is even harder,( the sedan is butt ugly),now take a good look at the 89 on z, ha ha ha ha ha, look at the trim they used on the non leather cars -yuk ! why was nobody racing a z around Bathhurst in the early ninty's- I wonder

don't even think about buying a z over a skyline, you are comparing a fine wine with ditch water !