SAU Community

S1 R33 Coils Vs S2 R33 Coils.

W0rp3D

I would like to get rid of the igniter on my S1, is there any quality difference between S1 and S2 and how hard would it be to use S2 coils in a S1 running a power fc?

It can be done, just wire them in accordingly and use the computer from the S2 and you'll be set. You'll probably have to change the TPS and Tbody if you do so.

I would have to ask why as it's a pretty silly thing to do. Why not just extend the wiring and hide the unit you have?

The S2 coilpack will give you no performance gain so you'll be spending a fair amount of money just so you don't have to look at something.

Mount it on the firewall or something, or near the brake booster if you must.

Seen it done a few times as the ingitors sometimes to get a bit angry with heat (i think a gibson GTR had it this way, and some cars from the motherland)

But ye, as above... a lot of expense and dicking around just to get rid of a small black box

If you paint up the rockers/piping it'll draw attention away from it as another idea

its more a factor of trying to eliminate a common item that screws up, plus i will be buying new coils soon so looking at the option of getting S2 coils and doing away with the igniter all together, as mentioned i have a power fc so no need to change ecu just wondering what else needs to be done wiring wise.

I wouldnt call it a common thing to let go.

No more common than any other part on the long list of sensors that can fail (CAS, AFM, TPS).

It'll cost you 3-4 times the amount to do the swap over than it would be to just grab another ignitor (should it actually fail).

I wouldnt call it a common thing to let go.

No more common than any other part on the long list of sensors that can fail (CAS, AFM, TPS).

It'll cost you 3-4 times the amount to do the swap over than it would be to just grab another ignitor (should it actually fail).

+1

Never seen one actually fail unless subjected to stressful situations like extreme heat when cooking a cylinder head. I know they have failed on one or two other peoples cars but the majority of what people may be reading is when someone has a problem and they say 'Have replaced:' then there is always the PTU. But it's never actually the cause.

So yeah, definitely NOT a common issue.

Brett: I can give you a list of common issues with Skylines if you like, then you can replace all that stuff too if you like.

• 2 years later...

Reviving the dead.

Having recently sold my S1 33, I am refitting the guys motor from his wrecked S2.

Now, I sold the car with no motor but left the intact S1 wiring harness in the car.. The guys car was an S2 and he still has the entire car to work with. Now what I did not sell with the car are coilpacks..

From my reading and understanding, I will simply need to change the S1 'ignitor plug' with the S2 'coil loom plug'.

Can anyone correct me if I am wrong as I have not bothered to read and trace back the full engine wirring diagram yet.

As a basis of my ability I have done stuff like (and far from limited to) wire redtop SR's into S14s using the S13 ECU and sensors but S14 harness (later nistune and consult capable). So this will be a walk in the park either way, but if someone with some experience can save me (and future readers) some time in saying YES or NO that would be great.

Thanks,

CONFIRMED:

As confirmed by BH_SLO32

The swap is doable and will work fine. Need to trace wiring back to correct cylinders and can eliminate the ignitor box by wiring a harness in and using S2 coils.

I will post more detailed info after Saturday once I've done it.

Have now successfully rewired S2 coils into an S1.

Process is dead simple. The colour coded wires that plug into the S1 ignitor (from ECU) are identically coloured to those that plug into the S2 coil harness (male plug from ECU).

The S2 harness will have a black solid wire (earth) which will not match with its counterpart on the S1, the S1 was black with a yellow trace. It is the middle wire on the 7 pin plug, also identifiable as earth on the ignitor (marked E).

Hope this is helpful for anyone else in my position!

I didnt take any actually.. I can take a photo when I go back next week, I still need to change the coolant temp sensors (lucky I still have the S1 intake in the garage). The S1 ecu and S2 coolant sensors dont seem to be compatible, the dash doesnt show a reading and the ecu shuts the motor down when its idling.

If you want photos of the coil swap let me know.. Its all soldered in and taped up but I can still try get you an idea.