SAU Community

HSV vs R33gtst

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In steps HSVKLR....

I was disturbed this week to learn that despite all the money i spent on my car last week to get my nose ahead of HSV, they have upped the power of the LS1 to 285kw(292kwDIN).

HSV "claim" 0-100km/h = 5.3s

0-400m = 13.5s

You'd have 3/5ths of fcuk all chance however of confirming those times. HSV are notorious in winding the BS meter to 11.

They claim 5.6/13.6 for the auto... Wheels mag this week recorded 6.5/14.5s... see what i mean

Hey, obviously all you guys are fairly biased haha.

My old man has this years GTO coupe, and it's a nice car.

Look at a HSV from this point of view:

The buyer of HSV's are generally in the market for a European car, not a jap car. What do you get for $75000 in a European car will not you get you far; EG you can get a low spec 2.5ltr 6cyl base model 5-series or probably a medium spec 3.0ltr 6cyl vectra sized 3-series beamer.

The GTO is not bad for value, you get a 260kw V8, big breaks, big wheels, body kit blah blah blah.

That's just one point of view, a 40yr old like my old man does not want to have a jap car, it's more luxury.

But this is just a point of view.

Originally posted by Morgs

The VY series 2 have 285kw standard. That is the base model. They are claimed to run 13.6 sec standard by HSV, which with a decent driver should be matched.  

Its hard to say what power you'd need in a Skyline to top that, but you'd need a few modifications at the least.

13.6 on a gtech. NOT a real drag strip.

The 300kw ones struggle to do sub 14 passes on a real dragstrip.

we are talking a slow car.

then again many an R33 runs like a peice of poo too.

Rev,

I have read your thread on mid 13 second with stockish R33 gtst and would like to follow your advise ie,

* K&N panel filter inside stock airbox

* 3inch FGK cat-back exhaust (very quiet and probably more restrictive than some exhausts)

* 3 inch stainless dump pipe off the turbo 'wrapped' with DEI thermal tape to the cat. This dump does not have a sepparate wastegate screamer or feed pipe.

* Diff Cradle kit or 'pineapples' , the Whiteline kit No. KCA349.

* Ogura Lightwieght flywheel 4.8kgs.

* Ceramic puck sprung clutch and stock pressure plate

* Wrapped turbo to intercooler pipe (DEI thermal tape).

* Removed panel behind stock intercooler.

* Timing set around 20+degrees advance.

* disable the carbon canister fume feeds to the intake.

* Turbo smart bleed valve (cheap one) set to 10psi boost

* Simex 205/50 16 inch rear tyres. let them down to 19psi.

* NGK coppers ...6ES gapped to 0.7mm.

Oh yea and I will avoid the don'ts at the bottom too. My questions is do you advise to do the above in that order. Also I'm wondering about things like resetting the ecu after every mod also.

I'm getting my factory standard R33gtst

this Wednesday and want to start mods based on your work. I'd like to have a HSV killer too - a bit sad I know but we all have our querks...

After recently driving a $100,000 VY2 GTS Coupe i found the quality very poor. Bang for bucks it's great but there's no way you can compare it to a GT-R (that's a sports car) or an M5 (that's almost double the price).

Look at it like this:

HSVs are large (heavy), comfortable cars that do the whole GT thing better than almost anything else available under $120,000.

Ford GT and HSVs both handle really well compared to other Jap and Euro cars i've driven and then there's the prodigious torque on offer... If you're after a (relativley cheap) continent-swallowing car that eats highway miles with ease, buy an HSV or GT.

rev210, if a GTS300 is only pulling 14s, then there's something seriously wrong with it, or the driver hasn't got enough experience at the drag strip to know how to get good times.

Anyway, these new VY2 Clubbies do look good to me. 285kw is nothing to sneeze at, but if you do your basic mods, you'll be at least even with it, if not slightly in front. Just hope he doesn't modify his, cos then he'll be up around the 330kw territory with a simple exhaust and ECU edit. These aren't exactly light cars, so that's your main advantage, but they can really pump out the power.

well..... I enjoyed Skaife thrashing a new VY

http://www.hsv.com.au/cars/vy2/video/skaifevideo.asp

HPI did a comparo on a midly tweeked HSV (remapped comp, new cam's , exhaust)

and R34 GTR some mods (exhaust 1.0 bar, cam gear's..Power FC)

in roll on accelerate.... Matched perfectly.....

in Stand start.... R34 (Attesa .... of course)

in the hill's..... eventually the R34 got away... due to the weight of the HSV.

BUT i had 5 people in my skyline ...(what leg room) put the same in a HSV for a long trip..... i know which i'd prefer....

Hey Sonic.... when are you comin on a cruise with us CC guy's...??

Loz

Originally posted by rev210

13.6 on a gtech. NOT a real drag strip.

The 300kw ones struggle to do sub 14 passes on a real dragstrip.

we are talking a slow car.

then again many an R33 runs like a peice of poo too.

I know owners of these vehicles.

HSV quoted 13.3 for the GTS 300kw.

Two owners who have taken their vehicles down the strip have recorded 13.3, and 13.4, they are facts.

Wheels magazine cannot drive, and have never recorded quick times. Look at Motor, its a little closer to reality.

Guys, a GTS 300 will pull 13's very easy, if they dont know how to drive then a 14 will be the go.

Put it this way, a stock 5.7 VX manual 6 speed will run 14.0 relatively easy, my mate had one with a cat back exhaust and with me at the helm i ran a PB of 13.70, he ran 13.85. Now with more mods including full exhaust and LS1 edit, cold air etc, he has run a best of 13.10.

HSV's (not the 300 though) will not be any quicker than this, if not slower due to extra weight, they only have better stock exhaust and a better tune.

I cant wait to get my R33 down the strip.

I have a few things to say about Commodores, having owned 2 VS's over a period of 5 years.

Firstly, this thing about "improved build quality" on new models is something I've heard about ever since the VN, which is when I first started paying attention to cars. Basically what happens is new model Commodore comes out, then everyone goes "Oh look! The build quality is so much better than the previous model!" Well, can you figure out why? It's because they are comparing a brand new car to one that's 2-3 years old. Of course it's going to be better!

Same goes for handling, power, space, etc. After a few years people start to realise which models actually better. For example, the VN when new was touted as being superior in every way to the VL. But after a few years, you could tell that the VL's were generally better cars, more structurally sound, better power:weight, turbo option, etc. I also believe that the VS is mostly a better car than the VT.

That said, I don't think their build quality is too bad. The V6 and old Holden V8 leak oil like a sieve, but as far as reliability and functionality are concerned, I never had an issue. My friend's old VT Berlina's door rubbers creaked when he went around corners due to body flex, but it was otherwise a good car with over 100k km on the dial.

Anyway, re: R33 vs a new HSV. I think the HSV will generally hammer a stock R33. But put in a little bit of money and effort and I think the R33 will come out on top again. If you don't want to spend any money then just swallow your pride and feel good that you have a much sexier car that cost $30k less than his :rolleyes:

Lozza, PM me with details and i'll show up. The Skyline died a nasty, tree induced death about 2 months ago so it's now just the Mazda until i can save enough money to get either:

Astra Turbo

BMW M635i

Aah, f&*k it. I'll just spend the money on booze and hookers, LOL

Maybe the only way to end this argument as to which is better is to assume the "horses for courses" policy. Each of the cars have big strengths and some weaknesses. Budget, performance and people talking them up too much all fall into these catergories. At the end of the day most people on this forum chose Skylines so that says more than anything we can type...

Plus i like that 30k that i saved sitting in my pocket rather than Holden's

roy

as for the gtp, u do know that the evos and other cars have been handicapped so that there is a more even playing field. Some of the evos have to run lower than stock boost. If the evo's were allowed to run to their full potential they would kill the 300kw commo around all the tracks in Australia.

My understanding is that the winning car is handicapped in subsequent races by addition of weight. Then removed after the next race pending other winners, and so the cycle goes on (round by round basis)...could be wrong though.