SAU Community

HSV vs R33gtst

This is funny. People are listening to so much BS about HSVs...

The Ford BOSS V8 is Quad-cam (DOHC per bank). The Falcon V8 doesn't put out more power, but does have shite-loads more torque (40Nm).

It's an iron-block, truck bottom end with Aussie designed Mustang 4.6Litre V8 heads.

Holden HAVE been able to get the tuning right (more than the Americans) but have restricted (retarded) the tune of the Gen III for local conditions, emissions, and economy. Oh, and the fact that most Aussies can't drive for sh!t.

The reason the C4B (300kW) V8 is made by Callaway is for cost. they use crate motors for the 400hp GTS' while the 255/260/285kW cars are ordinary SS engines with:

New exhaust (not headers) with cat and muffler and tip

New tune on ECU. (They go through a computer terminal that allows them to choose how much power the ECU tells the engine to make. Ie: they open up different "hidden" maps in the ECU like 290kW, 330kW, etc)

Some more cosmetic bits.

Horses for courses. Skyline's a different car doing different job. I'm not suggesting we join hands and sing songs of praise but respect your fellow petrol heads' rides and they'll respect yours. If you don't like that, catch a bus.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, yes i do have a clue about that. Why don't you drive a ZO6 C5 Vette against a 300kW GTS Coupe over a rough road. The Vette will be left scuttle-shaking all over the tarmac.

Holden got the tune right cause the Americans adopted the specs for their engines in 2001. You obviously have no idea about the factory Delco engine management. :D

As for Trans-Am/Z28/SS Camaro/GS/Mustang good luck. The Cobra R is the only one that could be the locals but have you driven one? The build quality is non-existent and a blind demented kid could've designed a better looking car

Originally posted by Sonic

Erm, yes i do have a clue about that. Why don't you drive a ZO6 C5 Vette against a 300kW GTS Coupe over a rough road. The Vette will be left scuttle-shaking all over the tarmac.

Holden got the tune right cause the Americans adopted the specs for their engines in 2001. You obviously have no idea about the factory Delco engine management. :D

As for Trans-Am/Z28/SS Camaro/GS/Mustang good luck. The Cobra R is the only one that could be the locals but have you driven one? The build quality is non-existent and a blind demented kid could've designed a better looking car

Im not going 2 reply as this is a thread about Skyline and Hsv, make a thread and i will talk 2 u about that stuff

This is too much fun:D

On the other hand, the 5.4L V8 in the BA falcon was built in australia (still using mostly american parts though) but still a much better engine as it has DOHC.

Sorry you are wrong there. Having DOHC does not make an engine good, just as pushrods dont make engines bad.

As someone said the Boss engine is based on a truck bottom end with Mustang heads. At 6,000rpm the thing has piston speeds within a couple m/s of an F1 engine (ie. cant really rev any harder) So is never going to make any decent power without forced induction.

And rule out turbos as the width of the engine means there is no space, so really if you want more power from one all you can do is supercharge it.

Cams will be almost a waste of time as the engine cant rev any harder, and bloody expensive as you will need 4 cams ($$$$)

I can guarantee that if you go chasing power out of the GenIII or Boss 5.4L, the Chev will leave it for dead.

That said Ford are bringing out a blown 5.4L, but these Boss engines do not have near the power potential in the hands of the aftermarket tuner.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.

New tune on ECU. (They go through a computer terminal that allows them to choose how much power the ECU tells the engine to make. Ie: they open up different "hidden" maps in the ECU like 290kW, 330kW, etc)  

LOL!

if it was only that easy.

imagine

wake up in the morning and say ok i feel like 800hp today, so u type in 800hp on the computer and away you go! :bahaha:

Actually its true with many of the modern engines. The tune dictates the power of the engine, conservative ignition, plenty of fuel, crappy exhausts/inlets are the differences between a family of engines, not the actual engine internals.

Not only on local Ford and Holdens but on Audi/VW/Skodas etc etc who rely on the same engine families

That's what they do, although it's more to do with fuel/ignition/timing programming.

There are different tunes programmed into the ECU that they unlock. EG: say there are 5 written by Holden and HSV just activate the one they want. Kinda like a U-Tec

bear in mind that the majority of people who buy HSVs and GTs don't go looking to modify them, so who cares if u can't get much more out of a 290kw GT?

on that topic tho, i work at a ford dealer and their currently fitting a supercharger kit, that should allow the engine to produce around 400kws....

use are all saying that hsv are like 50,000 compared to a gtst

have use actually been ine one before???

i truly doubt every cent of that 50,000 has gone towards its motor...... one of my mates has a new r8 and fark me its a pleasure to sit in with th einterior it has.

shits all over the standard r33 gtst thats 100% for sure ... i cant believe dick heads like use say shit like this all day long... its a ****en classy car.. does 13.8 stock

interior is unreal and yet use still bag da **** out of it...

personally i think a hsv is alot more classier then a r33 gtst

I think we have to remember that a car has more point's to it than just 1/4 mile time's....

Sure a GTR is a fast car with awsome handeling.... But the seat's and the tough suspension would DEFINATELY give you a sore A$$ and back by the time you made it to Brisbane....

Commodore seat's are comfortable... and matched perfectly to the "Average" Aussie body and weight... with plenty of lower back support and leg support. The dash instruments are lit well and 100 kmph sit's right at the top of the arc so it is easy to see....

There a lot of little thing' s that come in to play, Torque is plenty low down where you need it most..... not all car's need to hammer to 9,000 rpm to make max power when over taking (although the scream when overtaking is fun :() They can fit 4 - 5 people in comfort and still haull A$$ ..... They New VY series II HSV's look awsome.... i really like that colour (looks similer to the midnight purple in the GTR) and Skaife really give's it a hammering.

When i'm 50... i hope to have a nice HSV..... and an awsome TEAM of GTR's running in the PRO CAR series....

Loz

I have driven a friend's new XR8 and it is a very nice car. I would keep it if someone gave me one but I wouldn't buy one myself unless I could still afford to keep the Skyline as my weekend car, because it's just too agricultural. It feels like you're driving a big hovercraft (although it does handle pretty well for its size) and even though there's 260kw on tap it just doesn't feel fast because of the huge weight of the thing.

Because my friends (married couple) use it as a work car it's not going to get much if anything in the way of performance mods. But still, it's faster than the vanilla 6 cylinder versions of Commodores/Falcons.

(these comments made because I think that the BA XR8 would be very similar to a current HSV)

have u been in one?

have u seen the quality of there interior

its like sitting in a big leather couch

HSV isnt factory produced holden..

HSV grab some cars of the production line and do things to them hence HSV enhanced...

there sexy cars..

perhaps you should drive in way...

made my skyline interior look like mud thats 100% sure..

100% kicks da shit out of any jap interior...