SAU Community

Clutch Pedal Box

Nathan76

Have just discovered i have a broken weld on my R33 clutch pedal box, car is still drivable but means i have about and inch of clutch pedal movement and is of course going to get worse by the quick look i had under the dash it looks like a side strut support that keeps the pedal straight.

Is it possible to pull clutch pedal box out with out pulling out the dash?

is it a common problem and if it is what have other people done to fix it?

Have just discovered i have a broken weld on my R33 clutch pedal box, car is still drivable but means i have about and inch of clutch pedal movement and is of course going to get worse by the quick look i had under the dash it looks like a side strut support that keeps the pedal straight.

Is it possible to pull clutch pedal box out with out pulling out the dash?

is it a common problem and if it is what have other people done to fix it?

I converted my R33 GTS-t from auto to manual, so had the whole pedal box out to fit the 3 pedal set up, and didn't remove the dash. I THINK I removed the steering column, or at least loosened it to allow me to gain better access. It was no big deal, took about 2 hours including hole sawing the bulkhead for the clutch master cylinder. I did remove the lower access panel of course.

if anyone else comes across it, it is pretty easy to repair remove the pivot/lock pin from the clutch master cylinder - clutch pedal then undo the 2 nuts on the master cylinder and the one 12mm that bolts through into the top of the fire wall under the dash and wiggle the pedal box free

Liverpool exhaust charged me 30 bucks to weld it up and i refitted it took me about 2 hours all up incuding welding.

looking at the design of the clutch pedal box i would say its fairly common.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, it's common. and they are easy to remove/replace. I swapped mine out for the nismo one a few years ago and the creaking (impending doom) went away. :P it's easy to reinforce the stock one too with some strategic welding and a few bits of scrap metal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone thru 3 clutch pedals with the last one not only breaking but the whole frame was warped which changed the alginment of the pedal as you push it down. Got another replacement and welded the f*ck out of it with extra bits of metal. probably doubled the weight but it ain't breaking now :P

just outta curiosity as my 32 one has just been welded AGAIN where can i find a nismo one from?

I got mine from Nengun (along with some other small items) when I got my diff sent over.

oooh my clutch pedal has always made a creaking sound when I push on the pedal, I thought it was just the bearing or some such.. but it could be on the way out? I remember at one point getting so annoyed it chucked some WD40 on it and it went away for a little while.