SAU Community

Two Kinds Of Turbo?

Rhyou

Ogura Racing Clutch (ORC) have a supercharged and turbocharged 350z,

naturally the supercharger provides instant low down power until the turbo kicks in in the higher rpm range, was in an issue of either HPI or autosalon

yes it works, no its not worth it. i'm pretty sure stocky himself said he wouldnt do it again. twincharging is really more for smaller motors, i'd say under 3ltr capacity, which although an RB26 falls into this catagory, still wouldnt bother mearly for the fact theres a million different turbo options available off the shelf, and you should be able to find something that makes your power requirement without leaving you with rediculous lag. rb's love to rev anyway

i've always seen it being a waste because, twincharging would prove itself most useful on the street, if you on the track, you throw it back a gear and let rip, if your lazy/drivign normal, then yes the lowdown torque would make it a much nicer car to drive. if your chasing big numbers, like more than 600hp, the cars probly not gonna be a daily driver any more anyway, and if you want less than that, you should be able to find a reasonable turbo setup, without the great cost (and even greater headf*ck) of twin charging.

but they don't suck raw shaft

had to quote that mearly for the fact it made me giggle

probly biggest draw back of twin charging (besisdes cost and headf*ckedness) is that you cop the efficiency loss of both compressors. instead of having a 75% efficient turbo, you now have a 60% efficient supercharger after that, meaning your overall efficiency is down to 50%. (semi-random numbers, may actually be more or less than that). thats why i dont like the Bee*R twin charge setup more than others, i'm not a fan of because the supercharger side of it is non-intercooled from memory.

they way around this is to run the supercharger and turbo and parrelel instead of series, but for this you can triple the cost and headf*ckedness.

factory toyota superchargers are good to throw on an old commodore n stuff like that, they'd have no place in the engine bay of a GTR though. *just my opinion* so there goes the 'cheap and easy' was out.

look into compound turbo charging, ask lots of people (you'll need to) because most people will tell you that its for running big boost in diesel motors. now heres the trick, when people tell you this, walk away, and ask someone else, until you find somebody that knows how to do it right. BL in america have done it on a supra, and came up with a setup that spools similar to stock twins but made over 800rwhp from memory. there is a graph floating around somewhere on supraforums. similar problems to twincharging, but i rkn it would be a bit simpler. needs a fair bit of room, but should be able to squeeze it down in a GTR bay with some work. it looks a bit complicated but if you can but out how it works you'll see its actually pretty simple.

again tho, lots of cost and headf*cks.

PS that twin charged 26 was from tomei i believe? dont think it ever went into production though? was more of a show-off thing, that never really went anywhere. thats saying something isnt it?

Edited by VB-

You guys have to look outside the box a bit, give the car mags the flick.

Engine driven turbochargers have been around on industrial engines forever.

Most big locomotives use the 4000hp V12 2-stroke GM diesel which has 2-engine driven turbochargers.

The turbos are shaft driven for low RPM scavenging and incorporate over-running clutches so that once exhaust gases reach sufficient velocity, the turbos are exhaust driven.

The 18 cylinder Napier Delta series engines also had engine driven turbochargers, really old school.