SAU Community

4.0L sixes

Roy

Reading the Ford XR6T thread got me thinking about he other night when i was dribbling sh1t like i normally do late at night after a drink:(

A friend was tossing off (with good cause) over the 4.0L Ford six and what a turbo has done for it. And like the Nations Cup Monaro, imagine what Tickford/FPV could do if given a free reign to come up with a competition derivative.

But, if i was really going to become a batty boy for a day it would have to be a TVR Cerbera (or Speed 6 which is even lighter again). Now i would normally go for the V8 model, but it is also offered as a 4.0L 350bhp, dry sumped inline 6.

So what does every turbo nut think when he is presented with an 1100kg chassis with again, a 4.0L twin cam, dry sumped NA six cylinder with a std 10.5:1 compression ratio.

Now that would be the building block of somthing special:D ... and me for one i think i think id trade in that dream of a Mines R34 for one.

I think the Speed12 racer's already gone there Roy. Also try the TVR "Black Cat" T440R. It's lighter than the Cerbera (kerb weight of 950kg) with a psycho 4L six (328kW, 460Nm). and it's NA. Don't ask me how they make those numbers, i just know they do. Currently, there are 5 in the world.

The Speed 12 was a Supercar competitor. I have a video on it and it is the wildest sounding thing at full tilt.

But imagine as an aftermarket "tuned" car rather then a factory special.

The T440R is awesome, carbon fibre moncoque etc, etc, but a bit highly tuned with compresion probably over the 11.0:1 for a turbo...and again a little expensive on the 2nd hand market due their spec and age.

I just love TVRs.

Ok so if we had a budget of 200k, what would we do with our money.

Im thinking TT V8 TVR, or if space is a problem go the 6-cylinder with a big nasty single turbo like a HKS T51:D

Actually, TVR reckon their engines aren't suited to turbocharging or supercharging (i had to speak to them about some of their products).

They were saying you can have too much power in a lightweight car, especially with the accelerative characteristics of a Big-Ass Single Turbo (BAST - that's a technical term for you newbies).

The T440R is highly tuned, but not tuned to its max according to an engineer called Berkcroft (that's his surname). They were saying a 4.3L super-tune unit could crack almost 350kW, from an NA six cyl!

I was seriously looking at TVR Tamora which runs the same engine, slightly detuned.

I suspect that the engines are pretty strung out, straight out of the box......could you really push them *that* much further? That 350kw out of 4.3l = 81kw per litre. Still less than an S2000 but right up there....

Top bunch of cars though, eg look at the interior of that Cerbera that was down at Wakefield the other day. No bloody "parts-bin" switches in that girl :)

I think thats an around about way of saying their is realistically no point to having more power, the car already does 0-100 in a dash under 4 seconds.

So they are not suited to turbocharging from a chassis dynamics perspective. That makes sense as all the reviews i have read have said they are livewires wth the std weight and power.

Thats not to say the engine isnt suited to it, just that the behaviour of the car/chassis with turbos isnt what one would expect from a car direct form a manufacturers door, even TVRs door who would seem to already stretch the usual norms.

Footage of an XJR-15 in the wet wheelspining and opposite lock in first 4 gear gears at next to no throttle has inspeire me.

Thats what i would expect from a TT TVR. No real reason other then too laugh my a55 off at the stupidity of it all.

Yeah pretty amazing what they can do with N/A straigh sixes... ah the straight six, gotta love em ;)

BMW M3 CSL 3.2 N/A 6: 265kw's. 370NM

That's 82.8kw's/litre. TVR Cebera at 269kw's or 67kw/litre

Go BMW!! hehehe.

If u take the spruced up version previously mentioned (328kw one) that's 82kw/litre. Pipped by .8kw :)

Look at the figures coming out of these N/A straight sixes. Then go look at the 235kw's of a holden 5.7 V8 :bahaha: what a waste of space. Or even the top 300kw 5.7 V8, 52kw/litre. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Give BWM or TVR 5.7 litres and a bent 8 to play with and see what they come up with :)

cheers.

by the way, what are the specs of the S2000, all i know it 2ltr 4...

that is sooo f*cking impressive. 178kw's from a 2ltr 4 cylinder.

is the 360 Modena a V8? Good figure that, 298kw's. But yeah, looks like Porsche takes the cake.

74.4 is a pretty good figure i would think.

The new (MY04) GT2 Porsche is even more powerful, but it's the torque that i love: 3.6L TT with 700Nm!

The "Red Rose" spec TVR Cerbera has more than 328kW, try 360kW from a 4.5L DOHC-per bank V8. Then there's the T440R racers with 344kW/470Nm from an NA 4.4L 6-cyl.

There's the gold Meguiar's TVR Cerbera show car in SPEED 009 (on sale now) with 414kW from its 4.2L V8 as well...

Also, the Gen IIIs are seriously detuned. By how much? Well, the "unlimited-edition" LeMans C5R Corvettes that were at SEMA a couple of years back have stroked to 7L, run twin turbos and put out over 1300hp.

High kw/L is all good and well, but if not given any displacement or forced induction then i dont see the point.

As nice as the S2000 is, i put it in the same basket as an MX-5, a fun sports car, not a performance car. (My opinion only)

If something is going to be considered as a credible performance car then at 2L it needs a turbo, or at least a 3.0L or bigger NA engine, prefereably over 3.5L.

As for writing off the GenIIIs, im like a scratched record, i wouldnt be in a hurry to dismiss one. Its a shame aftermarket tuners need to modify the parent cars chassis to give the engine a capable platform to demonstrate itself.

Read up on why GM used pushrods, and you will see that it doesnt affect the performance potential of the engine, due to the design consideration/work that went into the engine when tranforming it from a light-commercial truck engine.

Yeh that TVR is a bit over the top, std body would do me fine, and the nitrous.

theres a car in an old serious performance dvd made in oz called or is known as the "bullet" based around the mx-5 running either a supercharged, efi or n/a v8 your choice they seem to have the power to weight thing covered!

Here in Melb, Nizpro is coming up with a 400rwkw (yes, 400rwkw) bolt-on kit for the XR6turbo.

Basically, I think its new manifold, strengthened rods, injectors, fuel pump, bigger intercooler, new ECU, and prolly another couple of things. Stock turbo I think, and thats about it. And apparently its about a 10k upgrade from stock.

Now that is some serious rwkw! So the xr6t could be a serious weapon in the next few years.