SAU Community

Track Day (pre And Post) Inspections?

First up let me say i have done a lot of track days (amateur circuit stuff, weekend warriors, no serious competition) and have never expected a manufacturer to "sponsor" my track time by fixing / replacing anything that has worn out / broken on the track. Ever. To be blunt i usually consider warranty more trouble than it is worth. However, that was with cheaper cars where i could buy a crate motor for $5k or a transmission for $3k.... Anyway after reading the track day inspection thread on gtr.co.uk, i decided to ask my local dealer about the situation.

He told me:

Nissan will cover warranty for your new R35 if you "track it" - with one caveat: you need to have pre and post track day inspections.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone heard about this?

2) Why did i have to ask (they guy knew straight up when i asked)

3) How much are these pre and post track day inspections going to cost? (he didnt know)

4) Will you have ANY warranty if you dont do this and "track" the car? (assuming they find out)

5) Is this a cash cow

I dont fancy losing the car for two days every time i have a track day. However, if they are REALLY going to cover breakages when driven in anger on the circuit, maybe it is worth considering? I would hazard a guess they will only cover items due to faulty manufacture/fitment, versus bits that wear out due to "abuse"... You can imagine the likely outcome... It's going to be ambiguous at best, so is this worth the hassle? Obviously they wont cover consumables (rotors/pads etc) or accidents, but i just cant see them replacing a broken CV or the like under these circumstances, do you?

I would normally swap out pads/rotors and fluids myself; even if i have these "inspections" i would still feel the need to personally check all these things (which we do before, during and after track days anyway). Also, I would rather source my own pads/rotors and fluids (probably more durable products at less tham OEM prices).

If i get these Nissan "inspections" done, i will probably get suckered into using all the OEM $tuff at top dollar as well.

As mentioned i would ordinarily consider warranty a joke in this context, but if a new tranny is going to cost $30k, and god knows that a new motor would cost (jesus, $75k? who knows) then maybe...... I dont expect these things to break but you never know.

What do you think? I am in two minds about it. This could be an extraordinarily good thing (who really covers track days? - do porsche?) but i just can't see it working out if something goes pop at the track.

Thoughts?

Edited by LSX-438

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, the Aus delivered late model Evo's came with track support. Not sure about Porsche, but if any were to be covered id expect the GT3, GT3RS, GT2 and Turbo models to be covered - as they're sold as "the road legal racecars"

Ok, onto the GTR;

Why did you have to ask? Not all sales reps are good at what they do, the better ones will find out what you're going to use the product for and give you ALL the related information, leaving you with only one question; "When do i get it". Unless they're instructed otherwise by their boss...

Is that a cash cow? Of course it is.

Will you have to use OEM parts? Nissan will surely try and make you believe that you have to (and may threaten to void warranty if you dont as a scare tactic to make more parts sales as they actually make coin on the parts, unlike the initial car sale, look at any number of car makers for examples of this). Just for a laugh, go and get a price for "supply only 2 x R34 GTR standard front rotors", then remember that the R35 has a larger disc and Nissan Aus will surely be aware of the money that they can make on parts, and as they have customers so scared about losing the warranty will no doubt take advantage of this.

I honestly hope they dont require you to use OEM brake gear, there's already better priced replacement parts out there that not only have the upper hand price wise, but have been improved on the stuff Nissan sells. And its only early days, wait until places like ACDelco make discs for the R35....

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder with those initial Evo's (with "track support") - i wonder what that means? Would they cover a cracked rotor? Doubt it. What about a smashed CV or broken tailshaft etc.? I just dont see them covering these things - do these "warranties" cover track related wear or just faulty parts etc. I just have big doubts about it.

Would like to know if others have been given the same information as me and possibly know underlying conditions and costs associated with these inspections. We've already had to sign the disclaimer, i wonder if there willbe another bit of similar paperwork before delivery.

A good place to start if you want to question what Ralliart australia offered would be your local mitsubishi/ralliart dealership ;)

You'd want to hope nissan australia at least ussed out what the competition offer their customers and tried to "top" that offer

Unfortunately I don't think there will be track warranty. I saw the revised disclaimer today which has gone from the original 5 page one to a new 11 page one and on it was distinctly mentioned no warranty when driving on "race tracks, air strips, skidpans" and other non road speed locations.

Yep I got an explanation on this last week, the warranty is void whist you are tracking the car. They inspect for faults before going on the track, they then inspect after you finish to ensure there aren't any. Your warranty then resumes.

Your warranty does not resume until after your after track inspection.

Once again another surprise that Nissan springs after you order the car.

Nissan GTR, the every day super car that is designed to beat the Porsche Turbo....but don't drive it fast, or take it to the track, or launch it because we will not cover it.

I am getting a little jack of this, everytime I go back to the dealer they spring something else on me.

Why build a track car and then not cover anything.

I have not signed anything yet...wonder what happens if I refuse to. This was not part of the original contract for sale.

You get more than you bargain for with Nissan stealerships.

Have any of you guys on pre order for R35's asked for an indication of servicing prices? Or, parts prices? If so, please post them up ;)

Id love to know the costs of the consumables, eg, brake discs, brake pads, tyres, filters etc. We all know the engine/gearbox will be costly to get a genuine replacement for (dont forget, there's always aftermarket options, should the worst happen, which as r32/3/4 owners have realised is a better option as its more cost effective and offers a better product at the end of the day), but seriously, if you guys want to track the cars id still stand by my original comments on a JDM 35 - they dont come with a warranty and there's no point in having an Australian warranty as Nissan Aust wont stand by their product (when i say theirs, i mean bought from Nissan Japan) as soon as you're using it for what they built it for (a racecar), advertised it as (a racecar), sell it as (a racecar).

With that said, i do feel sorry for anyone who's given Nissan a deposit to only be deceived like this.

Yep I got an explanation on this last week, the warranty is void whist you are tracking the car. They inspect for faults before going on the track, they then inspect after you finish to ensure there aren't any. Your warranty then resumes.

Your warranty does not resume until after your after track inspection.

Once again another surprise that Nissan springs after you order the car.

Nissan GTR, the every day super car that is designed to beat the Porsche Turbo....but don't drive it fast, or take it to the track, or launch it because we will not cover it.

I am getting a little jack of this, everytime I go back to the dealer they spring something else on me.

Why build a track car and then not cover anything.

I have not signed anything yet...wonder what happens if I refuse to. This was not part of the original contract for sale.

Thanks for that Gibbo.

OK, so they wont cover any mishaps on the track, not entirely surprising.

But these additional inspections - to reinstate regluar warranty after a track day - well they can shove that up their clacker.

That's just ridiculous.

Edited by LSX-438

You get more than you bargain for with Nissan stealerships.

Have any of you guys on pre order for R35's asked for an indication of servicing prices? Or, parts prices? If so, please post them up ;)

Id love to know the costs of the consumables, eg, brake discs, brake pads, tyres, filters etc.

I've asked a few times but they couldnt tell me.

I've asked a few times but they couldnt tell me.

I hope this isnt the case, but i think you're all in for another R35 ownership shock.

Dealership: "You need new brake discs and pads"

R35 owner: "Oh, ok, well what are my options?"

D: "Genuine parts"

R: "What about DBA, ACDelco, Mines even"

D: "If you want to keep your warranty, you must use genuine parts"

R: "Ok, well, how much are they?"

.....i hope you can all see where im going here ;)

Take Holden for example, i have a 2000 Berlina V6 for towing the GTR, I took it into Holden to get serviced - all fluids and brake discs/pads. Fluids were marked up as you'd expect, but the discs were going on $200ea - when i questioned it i was offered ACDelco parts (sold through the dealership), priced at $77ea. Thats a significant difference for a shitty Holden and according to the Holden employee - the exact same part, so what will Nissan Australia (a company renowned on these forums for outrageously marked up items) do IMO? The same thing, high prices for parts - and continue to use the warranty as a threat to drive more revenue through parts sales. FYI the Holden was out of warranty.

As i said, i hope this isnt the case - but look at their past actions

It's starting to seem like you need to forget about Nissan Warranty if you regularly track these cars. In that case you may as well not even bother getting them to service it.

I also wonder what happens if we refuse to sign these new disclaimers.

Do it and see what they say ;)

I'm guessing due tot he production cut and price increase (in subsequent batches) there would probably be a few people ready to take the car instead, and they know it i guess. Don't like my chances.

This is getting ridiculous, they leave you in the cold if you dont buy ADM, but if you do they require you to jump through hoops everytime u want to use it properly.

Im already thinking they will be extremely tight about warranty claims :D

Uh oh, sorry sir you didnt use genuine nissan gtr windscreen washer fluid and your gearbox needs replacement. Your cars not under warranty anymore, that will be $15000 thanks.

Who expected this to be any different? To think that there would be any semblence of warranty when the car has been 'tracked' is absolutely absurd. This goes for most any car you buy, not just GTR :(

Here is where Nissan Australia have played out the situation perfectly...

They KNOW you have had your car on a track as you took it there for a pre-trackday preparation/service.

This will take around 3 - 4 hours and could cost $450 - $500. Thats before you get to thet track :(

Come the 'post-event' service the dealer will plug into 'Flickr' and download the data. Oh the transmission temp has exceeded 125C....time for new gearbox oil. Thats going to be $1400 including labour. Front and rear diff fluids will now be replaced, and the 0w-40 could also do with a change. Add in seven or eight hours of labour and theres the possibility of a $2500 bill. Now add that to the first little lot and there is a possibility that a track day/re-track day excursion could cost around $3000. The data downloaded from Flickr could also then be used to deny warranty coverage at a later date. This warranty on/warranty off thing is the biggest crock I have ever heard. Vehicle 'abuse' ie racing around the track will never be covered...

OR

Dont tell Nissan, and when they do get the car in for a normal service all the alarms will have gone off in Flickr, and boom no warranty :)

SO

Understand that this is a $160,000+ car - not a VN on steelies - and accept that tracking it hard is going to cost you around $200 per lap PLUS the servicing costs associated with it. This is not some figure I have made up, these figures are gained from track work in our own R35GTR. These are not cheap cars to run, and not for the fainthearted that wants to haggle a buck. Understand that you WILL pay through the nose for service, even the dealer delivery fee here in SA is $10,000 (for a wipe over before you pick the car up) as the dealer wants to get back the money Nissan made them spend on the infrastructure for GTR in the first place.

FINALLY

If you dont have between $5000 - $10000 set aside for servicing costs to run your GTR for a year of enthusiastic use, then you are buying the wrong car. Its as simple as that.

ANY car that gets tracked costs lots of money to maintain, doesnt matter whether its a Lamborghini, Porsche, or GTR. I know the exact costs with all of them, and its not cheap. The only difference is that Nissan want to take a bit of the cherry as well.

These cars are fast, but you have to pay, and keep paying. At least the price of admission keeps the idiots out of them, thats something to be thankful for :(

Edited by Martin Donnon

the fun/dollars ratio is gunna work out very poorly for the next 10 years...

Unless you have actually driven an R35, or spent some of your hard earned on one, you really shouldnt post dumb shit like that.

Its a lot of fun, and the costs are reasonable. Its a $160,000 performance car not a clapped out 20 year old grey import from Salt Road City.

trackit.jpg

See - FUN