SAU Community

Vic P Platers With Turbos

I was just wondering how many vic green vic p platers with the restrictions are there out there ( or even red) that have turbos in there skylines

And do u get much attention by cops or because your p could they mistake u for a p plater with no restrictions?

I would rather a turbo and don't want to wait

The restriction for no turbos came in around June 2007 I think and I was 18 in may 2007 but couldn't get my p's till jan 2009 because had to pay and didn't have a job so...

Do u think there's chance of gettin away with it

Might sound stupid but I wanna hear other ppls storys

i drove my gtst for about a year on my P's and didnt get pulled over once. This was before the restrictions tho. I might just be lucky but i have had only one random pull over and it was after i kinda let loose :)

i reckon turbo with new red p-plater laws will be asking for trouble. As law says no turbo period.

The old laws worked off p/w restrictions and had no demerit points if caught. I believe the new penalties are demerits+fine up to $1000

Ive been driving my r32 gtst for 3yrs on my P-Plates but as many have mentioned its on the limit of 125kw/tonne and I try to stay away from any hotspots for cops. Never had any troubles but ive never had a cop tailing me to spot the p-plate in time.

My opinion, if you are on red p-plates with no turbo law, id pass on getting a skyline. You could always get a stagea or similar uncommon turbo car, that should fly under the radar for majority of cops...

drove around in a 32 gtst in 07/08 on red then green P's....got pulled over around 4 to 5 times in that period.

^Rekin, the power to weight law still applies to all new P platers. Doesnt matter if its turbo or not it just needs to come under the PTW limit. Look at all the turbo diesels out there in Utes, Golfs etc..

If you drive a car over this power limit (125kw per tonne) and are caught you will recieve an $1100 fine and 3 demerit points.

Edited by willL

There has been a long running thread in the Vic section on this topic.

End of the day, you risk it its your choice.

You get busted more than once - license out the window.

So ye, please refer to Vic topic (have a search for it).