SAU Community

2005 Sti Gold Brembo Calipers On An R32 Gtr

Hey All,

I have a full set of 2005 STI Gold Brembo Callipers to use on my car. The rears bolt up fine but the fronts require "dog bone" mounting brackets.

I have called the authorised Brembo distributors but they did not offer any support/product.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a pair? Or do they get custom made and if they do, who does it? I have been doing the ring around here in Perth and I can't find anyone to help.

Any leads/info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by im late

Yeah it would be a custom job for sure.

Try Racebrakes, theyre here in melb, they can probably help, you would need to identify the model number or serial and the caliper though.

Also, what size/model discs did you use on the rear with them?

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late reply.

In my initial post I stated

The rears bolt up fine
. I have not actually had them on the car yet. The reason I stated that is becasue I was promised that the rear Brembos will bolt up to my rear hub by my mechanic.

I tried to fit them myself over the weekend......only to find.......MY MECHANIC FORGOT TO PUT MY LOCK NUT BACK IN THE CAR!!!!!

He is back from Annual leave tomorrow so I will get the lock nut and then try to fit the rear calipers. He assured me they would (which is why I bought the STI Brembo's).

Once I do I will take a picture and post it.

Ok trial fitted them after work today.

The bolt on perfectly (just like my mechanic said).

Only thing is you can't use the Nissan bolts. You will need thinner bolts (My Brembos came with their own bolts which, as you can see below, fits).

Comments I have:

1. The STI pads are bigger than the Nissan pads so they do not cover the outer edge of the rotor 100%.

2. This issue would be solved with 340mm rotors. There is enough clearance in the caliper and the factory rotor shield to accommodate (Factor in the cost of new aftermarket rotors to suit if thinking of going down this path).

3. The factory screw fitting of the brake line looks like the same size to screw into the STI Caliper.

4. The factory bracket that holds the end of the brake line will need to be modified/re-created to fit (Any mechanic/machinist can do this for a small fee so it is not really an issue).

5. Make sure this is done for safety reasons (I.e. so the rubber brake line hose does no rub on the upper/lower suspension link).

6. There is nothing else you would need to do to fit it correctly to your BNR32!!!!

7. You will need to check with a brake expert to see if they will work fine with the standard R32 GTR bracking system.

So there you have it. You CAN direct bolt the STI Gold rear Brembos to your R32 GTR!!!!!!

Pics below:

Fitted on the car

Picture025.jpg

View from the top

Picture026.jpg

View of bolts

Picture032.jpg

View from the bottom

Picture033.jpg

Angle view

Picture034.jpg

Edited by im late

It bolts up but it doesnt look like it actually fits the rotor. They are made to suit a larger diam rotor that is 2mm thicker, if you run an R33 rear rotor the diameter will be closer but the the R33 rotor is 2mm ticker.

So it looks close and there may be a workable solution in there but as is i would not be using them?!?!?!

Correct Troy,

As I stated above. I trial fitted yesterday. I have not decided wether I should actually use them. I did also state you will need a larger diameter rotor (340mm). I did however forgot to mention you also would need a thicker rotor.

I reckon the following has to be costed up to see if it worth it:

- Pair of 340mm x 30mm rotors - $??

- Pair of brake line brakets custom made - $??

- Labour to install - $?? (if you are not able to do it yourself)

All the info above is purley to show other people that it is possible to fit rear calipers.

isn't the factory GTR 32 rear rotor 300mm, and the STi 308mm?

You need to get the bolt circle radius (or diameter) of the GTR and the STi, then do the calc to arrive at your final rotor diameter in a GTR application...

is this how you got to a 340mm rotor??

Hey Ronin_09,

I thought the standard was 330mm. Obviously I was wrong......

I came to the assumption that 340mm is needed because I saw that an extra 10mm is needed to fill the caliper. Unfortunatley I did not make any acurate measurments I just esimated by sight.

The DBA site states the standard Pre 8/93 R32 GTR rear rotor (DBA 908) as 297mm x 18mm.

The DBA site states the standard MY05 STI rear rotor (DBA 655) as 316mm x 20mm.

So now, my assumption would be that a after market 316mm x 20mm 2 piece rotor would be needed with either an off the shelf or custom hat to suit the R32 GTR Hub.

If that rotor size exsists then it would be an option for people.

Does everyone agree? :D

Edited by im late

Interesting because when I fitted up an R32 V-spev/R33 rear rotor to my povvo pack 32 Gtr I found the following.

1. Almost no room between the outside diameter of the rotor & the stone guard.

2. Needed to bash the stone guard flat where the calliper bolted on, otherwise it fouled.

3. The pads wouldn't fit with the new rotor/Brembo calliper & shims. This may be relate to the thickness of the rotor?

4. The hoses from the R33's were too short for the 32's by some 30 or 40 mm. Needed new hoses.

Interesting because when I fitted up an R32 V-spev/R33 rear rotor to my povvo pack 32 Gtr I found the following.

1. Almost no room between the outside diameter of the rotor & the stone guard.

2. Needed to bash the stone guard flat where the calliper bolted on, otherwise it fouled.

3. The pads wouldn't fit with the new rotor/Brembo calliper & shims. This may be relate to the thickness of the rotor?

4. The hoses from the R33's were too short for the 32's by some 30 or 40 mm. Needed new hoses.

Hey djr81,

The GTRs (vspec R32, standard R33 and vspec R33) all use the same rear size rotor which is DBA 929 - 300mm x 22mm.

My GTR is a non-vpec so the rotor is smaller in diameter and thickness.

Is your povvo pack GTR a non vspec version?

You mentioned in point 3 above that the brembos wouldn't fit over your rotor. Is your rear brembo a nissan vspec oem? If it is I think it is different from the MY05 STI rear brembo I have. My rear Brembos can fit over 316mm x 20mm rotors.

We are raising so good conversation points.

Let's keep them coming :D

Hey djr81,

The GTRs (vspec R32, standard R33 and vspec R33) all use the same rear size rotor which is DBA 929 - 300mm x 22mm.

My GTR is a non-vpec so the rotor is smaller in diameter and thickness.

Is your povvo pack GTR a non vspec version?

You mentioned in point 3 above that the brembos wouldn't fit over your rotor. Is your rear brembo a nissan vspec oem? If it is I think it is different from the MY05 STI rear brembo I have. My rear Brembos can fit over 316mm x 20mm rotors.

We are raising so good conversation points.

Let's keep them coming :D

About the thickness I must have misread Roys comment about the 2mms.

Yeah poverty pack = non V-spec GT-R.

The calliper was a Brembo from a 33. I thought they were all the same on the 33 GT-R's.

Some Q's.

What piston diameter does the WRX calliper run?

How did you get on with the internal hand brake?

The Nissan type rotors run bad arsed cooling vanes in the inside at the rear. How do the Subaru's compare?

Anyone have an opinion on the best tool to use to remove the stone guards from the back of the car? Apparently a 9" grinder is a bit over the top.

lol... poverty pack GTR!!! I feel so poor... :D

My understanding is that the rear brembos on the R32 vspec, R33 GTR and R33 vspec are all the same calipers.

I will measure the piston diamter of the rear (and front) calipers and post it here when I get home tonight.

I am not sure what you mean about the internal hand brake. I only trial bolted the Brembo caliper. It is physically about the external same size as the OEM caliper so it does not foul the path of the handbrake cable as it enters the hub from behind. You can see in the picture I took above labeled "view from the bottom" were the handbrake cable enters the hub is not near the caliper.

I'll take some internal shots of the calipers and also post tonight.

Can't really offer any advice on removing the stone gaurd... :P

Edited by im late

Yeah poverty packs. You can get luxury packs, sports packs & just about anything else so I figure they also make poverty packs for people with incomes similar to mine.

The Nissan hand brake works on the inside of the centre section of the rotor. Or in otherwords it is internal. If the diameter of the friction surface for the drum shoes is different rotor to rotor then your handbrake wont work.

Ok now I understand :P

I think that this won't be an issue if there is a 316mm x 20mm rotor that has the correct offset and size rotor hat to suit your car (whether it is the poverty pack or the hollywood pack) :laughing-smiley-014:

But custom hats would be the answer if there is no "off the shelf" one.

I have been able to find a company here in Perth (Racetune Motorsport) that has a machinist that has done custom dog bones and hats many times.

I still haven't decided if I keep the STI claiper set or if I sell them and go down a different path................ :D

your measurements are probably right (from DBA) I was pulling them from old grey matter upstairs.

some fly-in-ointment stuff though for you...

you can't just assume that if the GTR std is 297 and the STi is 316, then the diff is 19mm therefore ~9.5mm bigger radius rotor will be fine.

see if you draw a circle through the two mounting bolts on the GTR, and measure the radius to the centre of the hub, and do the same with the STi mounting bolts, then this theory is OK

BUT, if the STi mount is, say 10mm larger radius, than the GTR, then the rotor size should be 297 + 19 (diff b/w GTR rotor and STi) + 20 (diam. difference in mount between GTR and STi) = 336mm rotor.

similarly, if the STi mount is 10mm smalller radius, then the rotor size should be 297 + 19 - 20 = 298mm

this takes into account the possible variance in length of the caliper lug mount lengths.

do I make sense or am I cross eyed again?

You are making sense Ronin_09,

I guess they only way to really tell is to trial fit with a 316 x 20 rotor (if they exsist, I can't be stuff checking just now) to see if it fits...

Anyway, for those that are interested, below is the pics of the inside of the rotors.

BTW, front rotors have piston diameters of 40mm and 34mm and the rear rotors have a piston diameter of 30mm.

Picture039.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

350z brembo rear rotor is I think 322mm... so if you can sneak in an extra 3mm of radius, you might be able to use this...

that would be a good result - I run an R33 brembo with an offset kit and 3pce rear rotor to give 322mm... the kit was super dear too!