SAU Community

I Was Told A Vl Turbo Oil Pump Is Very Strong?

Interesting read here. Can anybody show or clearly tell me what the difference between NA VL oil pump and turbo VL oil pump?

I have always thought they were the same. Can anybody show picture of RB25 oil pump gears?

thanks in advance.

My mind is going crazy trying to sort out what oil pump to use as I am building an engine for RB30ET SOHC.

Can anybody show or clearly tell me what the difference between NA VL oil pump and turbo VL oil pump?

The 30ET oil pump has increased flow rate compared to the NA version. From memory, the NA pump gears are of the order of 9 or 10mm wide compared with the turbo version, which are 11 or 12mm wide or so.

My mind is going crazy trying to sort out what oil pump to use as I am building an engine for RB30ET SOHC.

You should use a 30ET pump.

cheers mate. Ive puled down original turbo motor and compared oil pump with NA oil pump and were the same. cant work it out.

Does anybody reading this have turbo VL oil pump they want to sell? please pm me

alternatively

What is involved to fit rb25 oil pump to rb30 crank? i have been told straight bolt on but was wondering if a crank collar is required. what do the flats look like on RB25 oil pump?

cheers mate. Ive puled down original turbo motor and compared oil pump with NA oil pump and were the same. cant work it out.

Must have been changed at some stage (or the engine was actually NA......wouldn't be the first time). I've got both types and the turbo pump is definitely designed to flow more oil.

Does anybody reading this have turbo VL oil pump they want to sell? please pm me

alternatively

What is involved to fit rb25 oil pump to rb30 crank? i have been told straight bolt on but was wondering if a crank collar is required. what do the flats look like on RB25 oil pump?

The NA rb30 oil pump was only used in the VL commodore series 1 NA's. once the VL went to series II ALL the engines had the turbo series pumps.

But if the crank has a narrow oil pump drive...it would only still have 8mm of contact. It wouldn't matter which pump you used.

Id prefer to use a pump which mated to the entire face of the drive...not just a small portion of it...this in my opinion is part of the whole RB oil pump saga and why Nissan extended the drives on later crankshafts.

Yer but you can machine a collar on the crank nose of the RB30 and use a 20-25-26 pump, what i did. worked mint. JACK BRO'S in underwood QLD set it all up for me.

On those picture of the VL,33, N1 and jun pump's, the gear drive itself isn't the worry here, its the overall surface area on the crank id be worried about when turning your engine to and above 7000RPM.

The more surface area, the better the hold, strength and overall reliability of the pump will have.

On those picture of the VL,33, N1 and jun pump's, the gear drive itself isn't the worry here, its the overall surface area on the crank id be worried about when turning your engine to and above 7000RPM.

The more surface area, the better the hold, strength and overall reliability of the pump will have.

i agree as most of the failings occur due to the lack of crank surface area with the oil pump (this is what i have been told by a few mechanics)

i have my jun oil crank collar which probably has about 15mm depth - i compare this to the key depth on the standard crank which is only half of that...i wonder how nissan underengineered this at the time :(