SAU Community

Launch Control For Aussie Spec R35

Q for those who have the car, any word on LC? I presume they all have LC2 as per the US spec cars (or any new car made from a few months ago i guess) i suppose nobody has launched their car yet? Maybe someone asked their dealer, anyone know for sure?

Asked my service guy when I picked up the car, he got a little touchy! Says there is no launch control. Obviously wants to avoid the topic. When pressed he talked of the LC2 updated style of launch control. Then gave me a lecture of not needing it. :P

Nissan is still a little jumpy about their new baby.

This service guy was really nice but the situation did remind me of a Seinfeld episode where a mechanic steals Jerry's car because he isn't treating it with 'love and respect'.

Edited by handbrake

Asked my service guy when I picked up the car, he got a little touchy! Says there is no launch control. Obviously wants to avoid the topic. When pressed he talked of the LC2 updated style of launch control. Then gave me a lecture of not needing it. :P

Nissan is still a little jumpy about their new baby.

This service guy was really nice but the situation did remind me of a Seinfeld episode where a mechanic steals Jerry's car because he isn't treating it with 'love and respect'.

Reminds me of my chat with the service manager. They seem like pretty cool guys - but you can tell they have constraints to work within which (in this case anyway) i think they realise just arent workable nor affordable given the options emerging in the aftermarket. But they have a job to do regardless. I was basically told the tranny fluid swap will cost the best part of $2k, brakes $9k etc etc etc. Anyway, i dont think my car will ever see a Nissan workshop, not even for the 2000k checkup. I'll have a trusted shop do the regular servicing instead. Makes the whole warranty thing a non-issue for me i guess. I just can't afford to pay double the price and get inferior products.

Q for those who have the car, any word on LC? I presume they all have LC2 as per the US spec cars (or any new car made from a few months ago i guess) i suppose nobody has launched their car yet? Maybe someone asked their dealer, anyone know for sure?

I wouldn't over use LC2.

Unlike LC1 (The VDC off type Launch) which was an open clutch, electronic RPM limited launch, LC2 is a powerbrake type launch with a partially closed wet clutch being friction loaded. It's less harsh in terms of impact but still bad on Tx temps and clutch life.

You could actually experience an LC2 type launch with LC1 programmed cars, with VDC set to ON or R-mode, the only difference was that in LC1 they fitted a 2k rev limit to reduce the friction loading.

You could potentially see 11.6's at the strip without using LC at all. Several US cars regularly post sub 12 times by just nailing the gas, i.e.take your foot off the brake then nail the gas.

if your cant afford to do the basic service then why own the car all together, the basicy check ups are there for a reason.

in the long run will be cheaper then replacing an engine or gearbox.

if your cant afford to do the basic service then why own the car all together, the basicy check ups are there for a reason.

That argument assumes people have NFI about the reasons behind the checkups, nor do them.

No doubt that some owners will go through their Nissan dealers to do all and any servicing......

But depending on knowledge and resources at hand some of us will most likley only visit

our friendly Dealerships for the first few services and then re-asses.....

I have yet to find a Mechanic that will show the kind of care and respect for my vehicles that I expect.......

Yea i guess your rite, i could always go down the local garage and get my bore replasma coted. :-)

And also It's LC2 in the australian spec same as Dubi,UK etc

Yea i guess your rite, i could always go down the local garage and get my bore replasma coted. :-)

If that happens, i'll buy a block from Nissan, which i'm entitled to do as an R35 owner. Can you imagine what Nissan would charge you for engine work after you've done 30 track days? You're not going to be covered under warranty regardless.

What are the JDM guys supposed to do? The obvious:- find good people on the ground who probably have much more experience than all the AU nissan techs. Heck there are people buying ADM R35's only so they can buy parts for their fleet of R35's race cars, i'm not joking.

Will be interesting to see how long the Bores end up lasting.....My guess is they

will last longer then most of us will own the car for.......

OK let me back pedal just a bit.. :laugh:

I think the dealer service / warranty model is probably ok if your R35 is primarily a road car; maybe one or two track days per year or less. In which case i hazard a guess those cars arent being abused to any great degree. Who knows, maybe that's the norm for most 35 owners at this stage of the game. So yeah, relying on the dealer/warranty thing could be appropriate.

For others, doing regular events (heck i have two track days next week alone) i honestly don't see how you could follow the warranty requirements & procedures to the letter. I would lose my car for 4 days inside a week just doing the pre and post track day inspections (and don't forget there are only two GTR certified dealersips in NSW, distance is an issue too).

Let alone the factory prices for various consumables. But more than that, the aftermarket options (in addition to being half the price) are just more appropriate for track work. eg. A slotted AP rotor is about $850AU and will easily outlast the cross drilled OEM rotor. Why would you pay 2x for something that is half as good? I regularly check most fluids/pads/rotors in addition to data logging for every track day i do - it's not helpful to assume such people are idiots and never check this stuff, they do.

It's just depends on how you're using the car.

I don't see there being a single 100% "correct" approach for everyone.

I wouldn't over use LC2.

Unlike LC1 (The VDC off type Launch) which was an open clutch, electronic RPM limited launch, LC2 is a powerbrake type launch with a partially closed wet clutch being friction loaded. It's less harsh in terms of impact but still bad on Tx temps and clutch life.

You could actually experience an LC2 type launch with LC1 programmed cars, with VDC set to ON or R-mode, the only difference was that in LC1 they fitted a 2k rev limit to reduce the friction loading.

You could potentially see 11.6's at the strip without using LC at all. Several US cars regularly post sub 12 times by just nailing the gas, i.e.take your foot off the brake then nail the gas.

Wow that's interesting, thanks.

You're saying LC2 is just powerbraking, are you sure? (sounds like it!)

If that happens, i'll buy a block from Nissan, which i'm entitled to do as an R35 owner.

The VR38 block is not available by itself from Nissan though.

If you want to buy a VR38 engine assy you need to prove to them you have one broken you're replacing.

and the 100K km tear down, afaik, has not been confirmed anywhere in any market. So this recoating business is just rumour until someone says otherwise.

And now they're officially here, could someone ask a dealer specifically about the fabled 100K km tear down?

and the 100K km tear down, afaik, has not been confirmed anywhere in any market. So this recoating business is just rumour until someone says otherwise.

And now they're officially here, could someone ask a dealer specifically about the fabled 100K km tear down?

I've asked my dealer after I've placed order for my car and the response was that it is only a rumor and that there is no need for recoating after 100k km

from what i know about this coating.....I have a feeling that its the same as what they use on motorcycles....its quite tough....but we have taken apart a number of bikes with long klms (i say long klms as 100,000klms plus on a sportsbike is considered quite high)and guess what....there usually shagged

so back on topic, how many k's have you guys done, and who is going to be the first to launch their ADM R35?

I have only done 415 km in mine, apparently still should only be using 1/2 throttle and 3.5k rpm to 500, pretty hard to restrict myself to that diet...

no attempts at LC2 and probably wont for a long while.

so back on topic, how many k's have you guys done, and who is going to be the first to launch their ADM R35?

My Car has done 32k's......not with me in it but.....so hopefully NO. :(

I take delivery tomorow.....1 more sleep.

Edited by Godcla