SAU Community

Why Shouldnt I Sell The Skyline For A Wrx?

WRX is a beautiful car to drive, nice power to weight ratio, and has the 4WD system too, thus making it feel much better on the road than the R33.

I have a a R33, but I've gone way beyond that point to sell it as I could never get even 50% of my investment back.

Stock for stock, a WRX will punish the R33, if you are thinking of keeping it relatively standard, go a WRX.

If you are thinking of modifying the turbo, injectors, fuel pump etc etc, DON'T get a WRX, you will have issues with your gearbox and you will have to fork out around 5K to get a dog box.

If you don't mind the fact that every second person drives one, get one.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow... lots of rex haters on here..

i have a good mate with a tidy my99, has falken semi slicks, vf30 turbo, buddy club coilovers, hks exhaust, and front mount.. it tears up the putty rd, cruises through traffic, and sits comfortably on the freeway.. the engine doesnt make noises, it starts everytime, aircon and everything works.. its a really nice car to drive, and great to give it a thrash.. with the semi slicks under steer is non existent if you know how to drive it... brake hard and sharp, turn, punch it out.. and whoever said the ej20 doesnt have any torque... are you serious?? thats what wrx's are reknowned for.. and 18psi through a vf30 certainly has torque.

ive owned a really tidy my02 wagon, i wanted just what you want.. it had slight upgrades like springs, tyres, exhaust, bigger cooler, boost and retune.. it felt like a new car, sure, the engine bay wasnt as simple as the rb's but it was only a few years old and had less than 100000kms so i never had to work on it anyway, i hardly ever thought about it.. the interior was nice and tight, the seats were comfy and didnt rattle and werent torn, the controls felt good, the engine sounded good, it had cruise control and all the mod cons. it was a great car and id happily have it back. i bought that after owning a vy ss ute that had 300kw... that thing had no torque and was absolute crap compared to the wrx... nice car though.

the my99 gearbox will break if you launch or snap 1st to 2nd... but who does that?? idiots mainly. if you do want to drive it like that, ring ppg, $4000 will get you 1st to 4th straight cut.

at the end of the day... evo's are better, but more exy for initial purchase and parts.. you can get a tidy stock my99 for around 15g these days.. id love an evo... but i cant bring myself to own a mitsubishi.

*cough*

Are you trying to honestly tell me that a VY SS, which has nearly 500NM of torque dead stock available around 4000rpm, had less torque than a WRX (which by the power of my google machine has 280/90ish Nm stock at about the same RPM)? Then on top of that the commodore was obviously modified to get to 300kW which would net similar torque gains.

I am not attacking here I just want to point out the obvious. Perhaps the ute just suffered because it was fat and heavy with tall gearing like all commodores.

Edited by R33_Dude

yes... for all intensive purposes... heres a comparo.

2004 VY SS series 2, 6 speed, 18" SS wheels

SS inductions intake, throttle body, modified afm, pacemaker extractors, hi flow cats, custom twin 3" to single rear muffler.. (was twin 2.5 from front to back originally) chip torque custom tune, dyno reading of 254rwkw. not sure of torque reading, dyno sheet went with car when it sold.

2002 WRX wagon, 5 speed, 17" original wheels.

HKS pod + CAI pipe, hitech cat back exhaust, Turbo XS top mount intercooler, ECUtek Retune, 19psi through standard turbo using TurboXS bleed valve.. dynoed at 150awkw, king springs, falken st115 tyres

seat of the pants and happy thoughts is all i go on, dyno graphs mean shit to me.. and the rex had it all over the ute. it would put you back in your seat like mike tyson...

believe me, lots of people ask the same question as you... and when i tell them my thoughts and experiences the common response is "your ss must have had something wrong with it"

The diff ratios in those utes are super low. Like 2.9 or something. That would have a large effect on seat of your pants dynos.

something that nobody takes into account when comparing cars.. on paper the ls1 should produce the goods... in real traffic light grand prix or on a twisty road.. small engined jap cars walk away.

seat of the pants and happy thoughts is all i go on, dyno graphs mean shit to me.. and the rex had it all over the ute. it would put you back in your seat like mike tyson...

My thoughts exactly. The fun factor lies in the acceleration.

I don't give a shit if the car produces 100kw, which is about what the GT-A produces stock atw, a slight under exageration, but it's still not much (smaller turbo, very restricted exhaust, etc) if it takes off like a rocket - that's fun. My mate owns a stock GT-A, and the thing is a weapon. Literally point and shoot.

Ok before i bought my skyline, had a look around at a few WRX's and the like. Was tossing up between a 1998 34 GT-T or a 2002 WRX, which were about the same price range that i was looking. Went and saw this rex a guy was selling and asked him why he was getting rid of it after he had spent aroung $10'g on it already, and he simply replied "I'm selling it to buy a 32 GTR"..... That did it for me, and never looked back after buying the 34!

Plus how many Rex's do you see on the road, you can't go 100 metres without seeing some dude trying to flick it sideways! :P

yeh but how many skylines have you seen that can tow a trailer with dirt bikes, have a kayak on the roof, mountain bikes in the back, and still be awesome to drive??

me and my gf threw our mountain bikes in the back, strapped it down the putty, went for a ride along a trail, and strapped it back home again.

its all about horses for courses.. this isnt a thread disputing which car is better... its which car is better suited to his needs and requirements at the present time in his life..

i sold my wrx to buy an auto vs v8 statesman.. because i wanted to drive a lounge chair at the time... sold it 6 months later.

Edited by NZM.031

dont know why ppl hate the wrx but here are my thoughts.

would destroy 90% of the GTSTs out there period

would destroy 100% of the GTSts out there in the wet

superior AWD system compared to yoru current gtst (i know it makes drifting hard but its a compromise)

gearbox issue was only ever in the pre 00 models, you defiently wont get that if yous tick to something like 03-08 models.

Evolution editions of wrx come with leather sunroof and all that standard.

ppl mover

Better resale potential to P platers as i believe its legal on green Ps =D

and personally the f*kn best sounding exhaust note ever. everyone knows when a wrx is comming....

end of the day what do you want in a car?

if it were be id pick the evo over the wrx to =[

Im sorry but I dont believe a pre-00 WRX would have a GTST at the drag strip. Ive been out to my local (willowbank) plenty of times and stock WRX's run mid 15's whereas 33 ST's are high 13 low 14ish cars...

Im sorry but I dont believe a pre-00 WRX would have a GTST at the drag strip. Ive been out to my local (willowbank) plenty of times and stock WRX's run mid 15's whereas 33 ST's are high 13 low 14ish cars...

sorry i didnt mean drag strip, im talking about the street.

no one ever goes the full 400m and unfortunately roads are never as smooth as drag strips.... hands down to wrx

dont know why ppl hate the wrx but here are my thoughts.

would destroy 90% of the GTSTs out there period

would destroy 100% of the GTSts out there in the wet

superior AWD system compared to yoru current gtst (i know it makes drifting hard but its a compromise)

gearbox issue was only ever in the pre 00 models, you defiently wont get that if yous tick to something like 03-08 models.

Evolution editions of wrx come with leather sunroof and all that standard.

ppl mover

Better resale potential to P platers as i believe its legal on green Ps =D

and personally the f*kn best sounding exhaust note ever. everyone knows when a wrx is comming....

end of the day what do you want in a car?

if it were be id pick the evo over the wrx to =[

Red and Green P's = No Forced Induction. Therefore, no rexy.

It all depends on your taste. However, they are recognizable, since everyone knows it. just like i can tell a Rb from a distance. However, not everyone knows it. :P

Yep, I bet cops' ears tingle when they near the WRX note in the distance.

I sold my R33 GTS25T for a 2003 wrx.

It is not as solid as the R33. other than that it is a better car. Like others have mentioned, the awd in the wet and so on. cant see the point having a heavily worked rear-drive which just wheel spins.

Mine is heavily modded, but nothing has happened to the 5spd for the 3 yrs Ive owned it. This model 5spd were stronger built than previous models. This is usually the case if you dont use a HD clutch and stick with the oem.

2000 and below models I believe have a crap safety rating. They explode like water melons on impact.