SAU Community

Gearbox - Redline Oil Vs Royal Purple

reNEGaDe88

Woah, ok thats good. If the oil lasts for 400,000km's. Now the only other query is if it is corrosive?

lol, it's not going to eat through your gearbox and synchros. it's a lubricant. and a good one at that. so no, it's not corrosive...

lol, it's not going to eat through your gearbox and synchros. it's a lubricant. and a good one at that. so no, it's not corrosive...

Hmmm, I was thinking....corrosive oil, why would they sell it? :P

Anyway, when I was at oilworld in Cheltenham the a couple days ago, he had the redline book out, for all Nissan Skylines, before R34, Redline lightweight shockproof was the recommended oil.

For R34, Redline Super Lightweight shockproof.

And that was from a Redline book :D

Feel free to check there website for further information, this is not the first time confusion on Redline gearbox oil's has occurred...

MT-90 is a high quality oil. It is 75w90, which is what most nissans use and is thicker than MTL. Its recommended to R33 gearbox's.

D'oh got it backwards, possibly too *thick* for my gearbox.

I'll leave it in there a little longer and see how it goes, otherwise I may drop it out and try Redline Lightweight shockproof.

I might just make sure I'm very gentle on warm up on the gearbox....

WRONG :D

Did you not read my post?

CORROSION PROTECTION

The extreme pressure chemistry used in many gear oils

can be corrosive to brass and bronze used in synchronizers

and bushings. Most gear oils are corrosive at

temperatures of 200°F. Red Line Gear Oils are non-corrosive

up to 300°F and the MTL® in excess of 375°F. A

corrosive gear oil can shorten synchronizer life by half

and can also contribute to rust problems.

I thought the reason redline don't recommend lightweight shockproof because it eats away bushings and brass parts. It would stop gears crunching for 20,000km but after that it would start to wear out other parts. Turns out they only don't recommend it, cos its too slippery for most synchro box's.

I read now that its a fine oil for R33 box's. Its actually better than most other box oils.

MT-90 (75w90) is recommended for nissans. MTL is 70w80. So its thinner. Thats from the site.

WRONG :D

Did you not read my post?

I thought the reason redline don't recommend lightweight shockproof because it eats away bushings and brass parts. It would stop gears crunching for 20,000km but after that it would start to wear out other parts. Turns out they only don't recommend it, cos its too slippery for most synchro box's.

MT-90 (75w90) is recommended for nissans. MTL is 70w80. So its thinner. Thats from the site.

Did you read my post? I saw it written in a book, in fact I'm not even sure if your talking to me in your post or not but I'll assume you are...

What site are you looking at?

I'm looking right here.

redline.com.au, Red Line Oils Pty Ltd, Car - Nissan - Skyline

ALL-2001 GTR (R32,R33,R34) RB26 Eng, Twin Turbo, 2600cc, AWD, Manual Gearbox Nissan 5 spd use 'Lightweight Shockproof', Getrag in R34 use 'Superlight Shockproof'. @ see handbook for Litres

Where do you see the MT-90?

Mate from person experience shock proof is really good. Royal purple isn't cheap either!! Don't stress over the extra 40bucks!! As it lasts ages, at least30-40km and that's been anal!

That put aside how is your box overall? If u got crunchy changes go redline, cause it won't make it worse or damage it. That nylon additives are bs cause shockproof already has that mixed into it, just in moderation!

If your box is fine, use royal purple.

Shock proof doesn't fix the problem, it covers it up. I mean it might wear out 6km ealier no big deal. If it needs a rebuild, pour shockproof in, or rebuild in u got the cash

One word of advice, smurfs blood expands a lot under heat, so under fill rather than over fill otherwise it will leak from the breather. About 200ml under full approx 3.4 l

I'll check tonight, but using the proper measurement it's close to the full bottle, 1 gallen- 3.5l. But smurfs blood expands a grate deal so I drained about 200ml. All up I'd say 3.2-3.3 l.

Some say 3L is enough, I had mixed responses when I was changing my gear box fluids too.

In all honesty sounds like me i had the same situation, slightly rough gear box and wasn't sure which fluid.

After the shockproof I wouldn't change to another brand! But if your box is in good nic, go purple :blink:

(mine had slight crunch on cold mornings in second, now it's gone)

Hope this helps

if this doesn't then u need a rebuild simple!! i'm sure that u will see massive results just don't over fill cause the box will feel slugish and u will dirty the whole bottom of your car (person expierence :D)

Any idea how mucha rebuild is gonna cost?

Oh, and what do u mean by sluggish? Do u mean the car feels like the hand brake is pulled up when driven around?

I read on the american site that Redline Recomend MT-90 for most nissans. The gearbox oil recommended for R32 and R33 GTST's are 75w90. The MT-90 is 75w-90. MTL is 75w80. Which is too thin for skylines for racing.

But yeah the aus site says MTL for skylines ( both GTR and GTST)

Spoke to the Redline distributor for AUS. He said redline only do not advise the lightweight shockproof to be used with most gearbox's with synchro's as there are llegal litigation issues in the US for it. So to cover themselves they say that. However he says the lightweight shockproof oil is magic for skyline gearbox's. He has had a box that didn't shift, and with the redline oil it shifted perfectly after. He said the lightweight shock proof is 75w140 and is good for skylines that see a bit of track work. Box can be in good or bad condition and it will do wonders. Also its only mineral oils that are corrosive as they break down after time from heat and being worked into acids which eats the brass and bushings. Redline is fully synthetic, so it won't corrode ur box.

IMO Redline wins hands down :D

Ahh damn, I just got my gearbox oil changed into Royal Purple Synchromax. Car is a daily drive, mostly stock but I like performance..

How much am I missing out on by going Royal Purple?

Heck, is it even the right thing to use on my R33? (Done about 89000k, no synchro probs but clutch is a bit warn)

Is it a bad oil? The Royal Purple Synchromax that is, well I highly doubt it's bad but compared to Redline?

I also changed my engine oil to 5w30w Royal Purple oil from Motul 4100 Turbolite and it feels a hell of a lot better I wanted to try something thinner and a better grade, was tempted to try Mobil 1 0w30w but wasn't too sure on the quality of it.

The shifting still feels smoother than whatever was in there before, need a new clutch tho, a bit of crunching in all gears so I'm going easy on it.

Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil. It is also ideal for 4x4 transfer cases and / or 2-cycle and 4-cycle motorcycle gear boxes.

I thought max gear was for manual box's that need manual oil. If you put in max gear its like 80% the price of redline and 90% the performance. So its good. But i want 100% performance.

5w30 is too thin for AU and a worn in engine. Nissan recommends 7.5w30. So for aus we need 10w30 or 10w40, not 5w30. Turbolite is an good oil. 8100 would have been better, its similar to royal purple, price/quality. Mobils good, but not great like motul/redline/royal purple.

It should never crunch in gears. That is a box issue, not a clutch issue. Redline lightweight shock proof is most likely to stop all crunching, or make it better.

Ok I have had problems with my synchro crunching into 2nd.

I just bought the car about 8 months ago.

Decided to try Redline lightweight shockproof as it seems that everyone commented that it does wonders for the R33 GTST box.

I drained the transmission oil in my R33 and put in the Redline shockproof oil yesterday.

Been driving for a day now, it seems like the new oil hasn't done anything. Still crunches into 2nd between 2500 - 3500rpm.

Edited by bin