SAU Community

Rb26/30 Build, Yet Another One... ;)

Simonster

Guys, this is my build thread. The fact that the engine fits without any cutting is what everyone seems to be concerned about. I was and still am surprised you can't work it out. I said right from the beginning that i wouldn't necessarily tell you how its done, because it was someone else's propriety. I made that clear. So, take your car to Signature, Mick will do it for you.

I don't really care you're annoyed, yes you are right, it's not a engine building secret but it's a engine installing secret, one that you guys can't work out even with pics. :cool:

So stop asking.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your view but if u reduce the height via cam covers then marry the rb26 front cover to suit the new height the clearance is accomplished...or just use the rb25 front cover as well

Anyway, once this mod is done it doesn't address the clearance issue with the twin turbo pipe as it will rub the paint off if resprayed like mine?

RB25 front covers still rub or at least it did in my car.

So is mine, I was just trying to further the sharing of information that this forum is reknowned for. Obviously some people don't agree, I'm done with this thread!

P.S. smokin' hot eh?:thumbsup:

Likewise bubba I'm on the same page, its like dating the hottest girl in hope that u get your way with her, better to move on and give her the royal salute.

I'll catch you on another thread :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Engine is out of the car, N1 oil pump failed after 4500km of street driving. Saw 6000rpm twice, was still on run in tune.

Anyway, i caught it quickly but other things transpired that's delayed fixing it until now. Been sitting idle for almost 5 months :dry: Have a Nitto pump to fit.

Main bearings have touched the crank lightly in a few places, but overall, ok to re-fit, but it'll get all new bearings and i'll be knife edging the crank as well.

Cleaned the bottom end today, along with the pistons and rods. Just waiting for bearings to arrive to begin assembly.

Will make some changes to the sump baffling, while its apart. Its also getting a surge tank and another 044.

Recently purchased an SM4 from a forum member which will replace the PowerFC.

The new clutch wasn't disengaging 100%, so modding the pivot point slightly.

Have fitted a hard piping kit from as well.

Should be finished in a few weeks....ordered a new sound system for it as well.. :yes:

sorry hear the bad news simon.\

ANOTHER N1 FAILURE!!! the worlds worst pump...i'd rather run a 20yr old factory gtr pump than an n1...

you are following the same path as i, went from an n1 (which for me lasted 2000km) to a nitto pump - great move :)

what hard pipe kit u getting for it? im guessing that u wont need to lengthen the top pipes to accommodate the difference in height as u have overcome this?

Thanks, it's shitty but you live and learn. I now shudder when i see/read about cars with N1's. It was the only piece of the engine i was uncomfortable with, had the chance to fit a Jun pump but obviously i decided not to- bad decision, but the Nitto will be better.

The 25 in my Sil80 ran standard oil and water pumps with no issues for 5 years with around 480 engine hp and hard track use. Engine had around 25000kms on it, a cracked block was what stopped it. Now rebuilding the 26 that was in my GTR. :cheers:

Crank collar is pretty much a standard fit now!

I used a 999 hard piping kit cheap and good quality. I lengthend the pipe that comes through the chassis on the inlet side, so that any future standard piping would fit :cool: Yer the standard top pipes have had the magic wand cast over them :P

Edited by Simonster

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back into the engine build after more unavoidable delays.

Cleaned the crank and did the big end clearances, had planned to complete the bottom end but ran out of plastigauge after 2 pistons >_<

Ordered a CDI for the newly acquired SM4 yesterday and the clutch is off getting re-built. New radiator should arrive by the end of the week.

Got bored and repainted the brakes in their factory colour as well.

post-3168-0-33863000-1299582919_thumb.jpg

post-3168-0-65833300-1299582930_thumb.jpg

post-3168-0-59589900-1299582966_thumb.jpg

CDI has arrived, engine is back in the car, just waiting on a new radiator and a wiring kit for the CDI. I Expect it to be running on Tuesday, there are a number of other things im having done once the engine is in so it should be tuned by the end of the week.

The Blitz boost controller is coming out as the SM4 will control it.

I've also removed the 4ws and modified the power steering pump to suit. New clutch is in as the previous one needed a slightly longer throw to disengage, consequently the fingers have copped it from the thrust bearing so will need replacing. I"ll keep that clutch for my 26 build that will be starting in a few weeks once the GTR is up and running.

Got bored and painted the callipers in their factory colour.

Head unit for the sound system has arrived, other bits seem to have been lost in the mail, fortunately i insured them so i will be getting a replacement set :thumbsup:

Otherwise baring something major i should have her back end of next week and i'll be able to see what she ends up putting out.

• 2 weeks later...

After numerous delay for various reasons, i have the car back in my posession......but its not had it's final tune We tried to but my standard intercooler just not cutting the mustard. She was losing 6psi across the core @ 18 so inlet manifold was only seeing 12. This just wasn't good enough. So i've bought Femno's Trust cooler and in a few weeks time she'll back for her final tune.

That said 300hp on 6psi is pretty nice, surprisingly very smooth and just gobs of torque. It's up ~30 percent on what it had previously and 20 more hp i think a combination of new ecu and the things Mick did to the crank. :thumbsup:

I'll post some pics up tomorrow when i can see the car in the daylight, but had to change the inlet filters from Apexi to HKS mushrooms as I no longer need AFM's & the CDI is mounted next to the water bottle.

The guys made me up a reeeeeeeeeeally nice oil/air separator which apparently from the time Josh spent making it is worth about $800 he he.

Anyway, it's sooooo nice to drive her again and i need to reacquaint myself with everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a Trust cooler but it would not fit as i still run the return pipework from the BOV's. If that wasn't there it wouldn't have been an issue.

SO i bought an A.R.E. cooler which is now sitting nicely in place.

Tuned the car on Tuesday. Result wasn't as expected, i suspect i've gone too aggressive with the cam timing as power is falling over by 5500rpm and won't accept much timing. Mountains of torque though which is really nice 18psi by 3700rpm.

So will adjust the timing and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the graph

We have some ideas on whats going on, just need to find some dyno time to check the theories

Fitting the standard airbox, just waiting on a filter for it.

Its friggin awesome to drive, very repsonsive, so different from the 2.6 and the 2.5 that's in my Sil80.

post-3168-0-82939200-1304331777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simonster