Rb26/30 Build, Yet Another One... ;)

Simonster

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all seriousness, dont. Its something he has spent a long time on worked out and i wont just give it away. As i said he's on holidays, another week to go. But i doubt he'll give it as it's his proprietry. Just like some shops with their engine "secrets". :P

Colonal sanders hey, haha.

spacers between exhaust manifolds and turbos that drop the turbos downwards? seen this done before to good effect - keeps stock plumbing, dumps etc.

Mark,

That is something i was instigating but then u have the challenge of fitting the turbo oil lines and intake pipes...it all becomes a bit of a mess. On top of this, it doesnt give anymore clearance to the bonnet as the engine height remains 1inch higher with the rb30 donk

spacers between exhaust manifolds and turbos that drop the turbos downwards? seen this done before to good effect - keeps stock plumbing, dumps etc.

Pretty good thinking however it doesnt explain the cam timing cover

Mark,

That is something i was instigating but then u have the challenge of fitting the turbo oil lines and intake pipes...it all becomes a bit of a mess. On top of this, it doesnt give anymore clearance to the bonnet as the engine height remains 1inch higher with the rb30 donk

Hi Marko

doh, of course. friend of mine did this ages ago on an R33, dropped them by 38mm but I recall he used the stock lines etc would have to be close I'd have thought. still rubbed on the bonnet slightly come to think of it.

haven't looked under mine to confirm its possible but what about reprofiling the cross member and then slotting the mounts?

Hi Marko

doh, of course. friend of mine did this ages ago on an R33, dropped them by 38mm but I recall he used the stock lines etc would have to be close I'd have thought. still rubbed on the bonnet slightly come to think of it.

haven't looked under mine to confirm its possible but what about reprofiling the cross member and then slotting the mounts?

Does anyone actually know 'how much' it has to be lowered to clear everything? Is 3mm enough? Or 10mm? Makes a big difference in what is achieveable.

ie if its only 3mm, I could see slotting the engine mounts would almost do it.. if its 10mm though......

Edited by R32 TT

Does anyone actually know 'how much' it has to be lowered to clear everything? Is 3mm enough? Or 10mm? Makes a big difference in what is achieveable.

ie if its only 3mm, I could see slotting the engine mounts would almost do it.. if its 10mm though......

i heard it is only about 15mm to clear the bonnet...i was going to slot my engine mounts BUT people in the know how such as rob @ rips strongly advised not to do this as the goemetry of the suspension is affected. modifying the cross member wuold do the exact same thing

i heard it is only about 15mm to clear the bonnet...i was going to slot my engine mounts BUT people in the know how such as rob @ rips strongly advised not to do this as the goemetry of the suspension is affected. modifying the cross member wuold do the exact same thing

The engine mounts have NOTHING to do with suspension geometry... They do not touch it ONE BIT... I can't see how slotting the mounts will affect it.

Adjusting the cross member, from memory some of the arms are mounted off of it, so that would be a problem.

The engine mounts have NOTHING to do with suspension geometry... They do not touch it ONE BIT... I can't see how slotting the mounts will affect it.

Adjusting the cross member, from memory some of the arms are mounted off of it, so that would be a problem.

sorry. let me elaborate...dropping the engine will mean that the front cv's will also drop down with the engine which will have an adverse effect on the entire front end in terms of clearance & position of front driveshafts

dropping the engine will also give less clearance to the road

sorry. let me elaborate...dropping the engine will mean that the front cv's will also drop down with the engine which will have an adverse effect on the entire front end in terms of clearance & position of front driveshafts

dropping the engine will also give less clearance to the road

Well to be fair, no matter what you do - you are going to be dropping the motor relative to the wheels.. The head has to come down under the bonnet - therefore so does the block and so does the sump and cv's (unless you can squash the block by 15mm :D ) So whether you do it at the engine mounts or other ways - its still going to impact on the CV's position yeah?

I don't think this is a huge issue if the car is kept at 'reasonable ride height'. Normally when guys lower the car via short springs the CV's have to deal with a bigger change then.. not to mention the changes going on all the time when the car is actually driving around corners under full load on semi's...

i reckon 15mm is about right...there's bugger all in it and without cutting I could actually shut my bonnet - it just wasn't a good shut in that I knew there was minor contact.

curiouser and curiouser...

I dont own a GTR and havent really worked on one....but cant you just space the crossmember down? As in a packer to go inbetween the chassis rails and where the crossmember bolts up.

Say 10mm worth there and then slot the engine mounts down say 5mm and bam there is your 15mm. Hopefully with clearance still between crossmember and sump/diff housing/driveshaft/cv. :) So long as you maintain the 10 degree lean that rb's have, it should be fine.

I dont own a GTR and havent really worked on one....but cant you just space the crossmember down? As in a packer to go inbetween the chassis rails and where the crossmember bolts up.

Say 10mm worth there and then slot the engine mounts down say 5mm and bam there is your 15mm. Hopefully with clearance still between crossmember and sump/diff housing/driveshaft/cv. :) So long as you maintain the 10 degree lean that rb's have, it should be fine.

Did you even bother to read the thread before posting?

Lol actually those last few pages, no i didnt read them properly. Just a quick browse over then it was a while after that i posted that. My bad, I now notice that what i suggested had been covered and rejected.

But its been done before, spacing subframes down. Im sure i did that fricken 7 years ago when i put a rb20det in my sil80.

seeing as though the rear of the motor sits at pretty much the same height as an rb26 and the front is a little higher im going to go with gearbox crossmember/mount being lowered as well as engine mounts.

seeing as though the rear of the motor sits at pretty much the same height as an rb26 and the front is a little higher im going to go with gearbox crossmember/mount being lowered as well as engine mounts.

I suggested that the gearbox had been mounted differently but I was getting at raising the gearbox mounts to tilt the engine forward to clear.. no response :stupid:

i also think u have cracked the answer.

i would not be messing around with the driveline geometry, if it was a gemini or dato 1600 then why not...a well engineered gtr though?

but haven't you done just that when you put a spacer plate on the bottom of your engine? It would lower the front driveshafts connection point by the thickness of the plate so therefore alter the angle...yes?