SAU Community

Rb26/30 Build, Yet Another One... ;)

Simonster

Ok! I think I've nailed it this time!.............

You didn't lower the motor at all! You raised the bonnet!! ....and the guards....! .......and er, the doors - which would then lead around the boot - so you must have raised that too I suspect... yesssssss.... that's it I think.....

No one doesn't not call me a lateral thinker..! (!)

...I'm up to a Carton and half now...

Yep changed the car to fit the engine :P

Have sent Steve-o the pics, you'll have it in no time.....the last one(long shot) gives it away :D

Edited by Simonster

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i can see the pics but cant tell what has been done, maybe its because im viewing the thread via mobile phone, although, the intake pipe looks to be sitting lower than usual

Even if that was the case, it doesnt solve the problem of cam cover clearance

stevo has listed them in reverse order, it's the first one i was referring to....

hmm good to see you've got your thinking caps on, keep going!!

Well... that's me out of ideas. I've stared long and hard at those photos and I can't see anything that gives me a clue. Does the bonnet really close??

I'm out.

Well... that's me out of ideas. I've stared long and hard at those photos and I can't see anything that gives me a clue. Does the bonnet really close??

I'm out.

Ive spent a fair bit of time on those photos and re-reading the comments and all i can observe from the photos the "twin turbo" badge has left a imprint on the bonnets underlayer/heat protection

"I've previously said i'd modded the engine mounts to lower the car ~3mm clearance from the cross member Marko"

"Sump is standard depth, much bigger though, 8 litres"

Is car meant to be engine?

I was going to say the bracings been cut and just covered up and the twin turbo badge pressed against it

However i cant see the cam cover making an imprint, that combined with droppin the engine a few MM from the engine mounts make enough clearance?

other then that im out too

space the cross member down from the chassis is my guess

mmm thinking cap in the right place there! :(

The imprint from the twin turbo badge was before the mods were done. You are correct, the bonet closes with no problems :)

The cam cover does not touch the bonnet :)

Mick ( who made the engine fit ) has gone on holidays for 2 weeks, so until he comes back i can't really so yes to how it's done, i'm waiting to hear is he is willing to give away his secrets.

mmm thinking cap in the right place there! :(

The imprint from the twin turbo badge was before the mods were done. You are correct, the bonet closes with no problems :)

The cam cover does not touch the bonnet :)

Mick ( who made the engine fit ) has gone on holidays for 2 weeks, so until he comes back i can't really so yes to how it's done, i'm waiting to hear is he is willing to give away his secrets.

Ahh. ok. Well if its just spacing the subframe down then we already knew about that - but apparently this is no good for roll-centre.. (as to how ~much~ it affects it I don't know). Perhaps then he's done a drop of 3mm on the engine mounts and just 2mm on the subframe to give an effective 5mm drop - which might be just enough?

Can anyone comment on how 'bad' dropping the sub frame really is? 2-3mm doesn't sound like much but a 5mm ride height change from front to rear is noticable by many, so this may or may not be a bad geometry change.. ?

Alright so no one goes off an a tangent, the subframe hasn't been changed, its standard.

I didn't say any of you are on the right track.... just that thinking caps are on....... :D

ooooo.... you suck!!! :)

:) ok, well then I'm back only to bribing you with beer... its all I have left. Take it.. Take my last beer. (how sad my life has now become...)

Gee Simon, if you don't put them out of their misery I might have to take a bribe and go ask Mick myself :P

Mate I hope you do! I am right in the middle of getting a new bonnet sorted out and would like to spray it, and put it on. I'm holding off though because I don't want to have to chop it if I don't need to..

Mate I hope you do! I am right in the middle of getting a new bonnet sorted out and would like to spray it, and put it on. I'm holding off though because I don't want to have to chop it if I don't need to..

I dont know why the secret has not been released as yet lol, btw this is a forum which is a repository for others to benefit from...anyway, everyone is different i guess

Gee Simon, if you don't put them out of their misery I might have to take a bribe and go ask Mick myself :P

In all seriousness, dont. Its something he has spent a long time on worked out and i wont just give it away. As i said he's on holidays, another week to go. But i doubt he'll give it as it's his proprietry. Just like some shops with their engine "secrets". :P

Edited by Simonster