SAU Community

Feeling Used And Abused

iseekool

I never let any one drive my car - Only other person that drives it is my dad and my best mate - which I knew from high school.

Last night I went to another "mate's" BBQ, I knew the this guy for 2 years through work and I always politly perstering me for a drive of my Skyline "one day" - he comes a cross as a good character - no way I thought he would do such a thing to my car.

...Anyways he is really into cars - but never really had to the chance to buy something "special" like a Skyline due to him being a family man at a young age - he has always driven "common cars".

I'm about to leave the BBQ and he asks me for a drive around the block - I thought why not - biggest mistake I've ever made.

I was in the car the whole time.

Screws up all my settings mirrors etc. to suit him (not that it is bad - but the fact he did everthing so rough) - in the process tries to guess everything - so I politly guide him. He was generally rough with the signal light stalk whenever he uses it.

The trouble began once engine was at operating temp. He gave the car a little boot - I didn't mind he opened up the taps a little, but afterwards the real abuse began he flicked it into tipronic mode and fanged the crap out of my car full throttle starts, race car like braking and droping into lower gear way too quick for what was needed - he even miss shifted - his reason he got confused with what is offered in the arcades - essentially he drove it like he stole it - this was for about 10 minutes - but flet like hours. I was constatly telling him to take it easy - but he thought I wasn't too serious and just laughed it off. We eventually came to the point where he was near his place, I told him firmly to call it a night - but instead of calling it a night, he drives past his place and continues on for another 10 mins, at one point I thought I was going to die he did a tight suburban round about at 50km/h - at this point I was pretty much yelling at him to ease off - but he just laughed. Eventually stopped the car at his place - I was fuming - but was at a loss to say anything - I didn't even yell - I just felt like smashing the c*** - but his family were at the front yard and I had the inner voice saying "don't do it". What pissed me off the most was the fact he thought it was all a big joke with me being upset.

I drove off so bitter and hate filled after that experience - I'm pretty much trying to block off all contact with this guy.

Never again am I trusting anyone with my car no matter how "good" they may seem. It goes to show how some people minds work. When some people get a chance to try something they only dream of, they jump at the chance to literally abuse it.

Anyone had something similar happen? Was I over reacting?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never let anyone drive my car except my dad and my mum is to scared lol. i dont think you were over reacting. If it were my car i would most likely have smashed the guy but then i have anger issues :banana:

I've let other people drive my car before but they've been people that I trust. I say to them "Take it easy" and they say "Yeah no worries" and you barely see the RPM go above 3000.

You've gotta be careful with who you trust and make it very clear before they start driving that you won't put up with any shit.

i would of decked that dude in front of his family and said somthing completly of topic to him to make his family disgusted in him, and to let me get away.

give some one a drive in your car, and they take that previlege and chuck it out the window, then to just ignore you when your telling him to calm down, not everyones car is driven to be thrashed.

i've let my gf, my parents and my brother drive mine. they all took it easy on the car untill i told them to open it up. which was fine.

that guy is a tool head.

i think you need to

1. harden up

2. a bit more firm with how you tell sometime to "take it easy"

3. just be more honest, just tell him what you think...

i get the feeling when you said take it easy to him, you still had your kitchen apron on with chocolate stains from the muffins you just finished making... i mean you were upset about how he used the indercator stalk... i dont think u were firm enough with telling him to ease off

when i had my GTR i let EVERYONE drive that car! why? well f**k why not sharing is caring, f**k i even et the guy who installed the head unit in sydney drive it lol...and the only problem i ever had was my friend who was used to rwd cars was "slapping gears, dumping the clutch during changes" lol

and i said "f**k man its not a rwd car dont do that", yes i yelled at him.. but did the abuse stop? YES

its annoying seeing ur car thrashed by someone else... but in theory its the same as when you thrash it right? ims ure ive given it harder than that dude has to your car...

also if thats the biggest of your problems atm man your on easy street. enjoy it

Edited by bLaQ.bOi

harden the fk up cupcake.

Thats nothin - if u are that anal about how u drive ur car - dont let anyone else drive it.

He wasn't being anal, just expecting that someone who was given a privilege would respect someone elses property.

This guy sounds like an absolute a/hole, and doesn't deserve to be your friend. I know the type. When they get in/out they knee the console panels etc. and screw up the floor mat; they just don't care.

Years ago a friend of mine had an R33 GTSt and it was way better than anything I'd ever had but he let me drive it, because we had a mutual respect. I treated it responsibly, carefully, just giving it a couple of squirts up to 5000. I would trust him driving any of my cars. But there is likely very few people that you would know like that.

No you're not over reacting, I would have felt violated aswell (I started getting angry just reading it) and you did well not to yell at him in front of his family. The best thing you can do is learn from this experience. I don't know how old you are but I found it's just something that comes with age (learning who to trust). Remember: It's your car, your property, you decide who gets the privilege. You just need to discern who deserves it. And you can always say that for insurance reasons you can't let anyone else drive it.

I've let other people drive my car before but they've been people that I trust. I say to them "Take it easy" and they say "Yeah no worries" and you barely see the RPM go above 3000.

You've gotta be careful with who you trust and make it very clear before they start driving that you won't put up with any shit.

Thats right, my dad barely goes past 2,500 in it, and only 1 other mate Ive let drive it, told him before hand if theres any funny business hes walking back..... no joking around, and I said I would tell him when he could give it a bit, so he'd ask and most of the time id say yeh, give a little squirt.... was absolutely fine....

now im not going to judge your character, but seems to me that your point of view was not expressed harsly enough.... maybe you were trying to be polite or not look half scared/upset... but ur worrying your going to die in your own car with someone else going crazy in the drivers side, yet he thought you were joking.....

perhaps harsher language, really yelling at him, or threating physcial behavior if he doesnt stop might have worked a little better.

least youve learnt your lesson, and your car is ok...

next time something like this happens, where people ask to have a drive, i tell them i'll take them and that theyll be too sh*t scared to drive because they will be holding on, and I mostly dont disappoint :P

Adam

i let most people who ask drive my car, if they give it a little boot i dont mind.

i just think to myself i drive my car alot harder all the time. but then if they do start to drive stupidly or i feel unsafe i tell them to slow down and they always do.

shoulda just raised your voice and go "SLOW THE f**k DOWN NOW!"

and im pretty sure he woulda stoped.

You pretty much got it spot on. It's a respect thing.

He wasn't being anal, just expecting that someone who was given a privilege would respect someone elses property.

This guy sounds like an absolute a/hole, and doesn't deserve to be your friend. I know the type. When they get in/out they knee the console panels etc. and screw up the floor mat; they just don't care.

Years ago a friend of mine had an R33 GTSt and it was way better than anything I'd ever had but he let me drive it, because we had a mutual respect. I treated it responsibly, carefully, just giving it a couple of squirts up to 5000. I would trust him driving any of my cars. But there is likely very few people that you would know like that.

No you're not over reacting, I would have felt violated aswell (I started getting angry just reading it) and you did well not to yell at him in front of his family. The best thing you can do is learn from this experience. I don't know how old you are but I found it's just something that comes with age (learning who to trust). Remember: It's your car, your property, you decide who gets the privilege. You just need to discern who deserves it. And you can always say that for insurance reasons you can't let anyone else drive it.

I'm emo about my car too, so no one else drives it. However he wasnt smoking it up, doing circle work or bouncing off limiter, so maybe its just a combo of he wanted to try it out and he has totally different attitudes towards the driving of your car. Some ppl are harsh, others just plain rough, some are like a grandma. As nothing was smashed, blown, broken or impounded.....you have reson to smile, shake your head and say NEVER again...will my mate knob jockey get the keys to my car. :P

Has it happened to me hell yeah...my old mechanic was a complete f**k wit, like screw loose in anyones car, had zero respect...I'd beg him not to drive it like he stole it, but more often than not he would...

Some ppl can get into anothers car and not give a shit...I'm glad to say I'm NOT one of those ppl.

True I should have - but I definately remember yelling some stuff - but i guess I was kinda chocked/confused - but all I could see was my car going for the barrier (this was on the tight round about) - I was bracing myself for impact. All that was really going through my mind primarlily was "I'm screwed".

Hard to explain.

shoulda just raised your voice and go "SLOW THE f**k DOWN NOW!"

and im pretty sure he woulda stoped.

you mech is a tool head Danielle ;)

and i think this thread is going over and over, saying Mark should harden the f. up and what not.

its not everyday some nob head gets in your car and turns psycho and threatens your life in your own car, and ignores your pleas with him to slow down.

he's simple sharing his experiance. and you guys are just telling him basically that he should of threaten him with violence, abused him. decked him and so on.

there is a psycho behind a wheel and your the passenger. and you want to anger that psycho even more with threats? not a smart move i'd say

my 2cents :P

Thats why the handbrake is in the middle of you two, so u can pull it up and tell your "mate" to start walking. Your soft. My mates don't do that.

In saying that, if they drive my car, i dont expect them to granny it either, i mean they drive holden/ford so they get excited, which i understand.

Here's my 2cents,

What happend is your so call mate has no respect for you and your car. So stay away from people like that.

But you cant go around saying no one can drive your car because thats just beening a tight ass. I let my mates drive my car and they respect it same token i want to drive there's, If they dont let me then there diffenty not driveing my car.

But you cant go around saying no one can drive your car because thats just beening a tight ass.

I don't agree with that. No-one has a god-given right to drive your car if you don't want them to.