SAU Community

Do I Need Same Tyres On Rear As On The Front

Im looking into getting new tyres as my rears as quite worn especially after doing a level 2 driving course.

My step dads making a fuss saying i have to get the same tyres as the ones i have on the front. The front tyers i have on are Nankangs ive had them on for over a year and still plenty of tread left on them

The rear is my second set..had nankangs which were crappy on the rear and wore them out now have worn Austyre or something cant quite remember.

Im asking if it will make any difference putting different type of tyres on as they have different tread pattern????

someone please shed some light on the situation

okay well i quickly looked it up in google and most people have said that its fine aslong as they are the same size. So the brand/tread wont make a difference, just got the make sure i get them aliigned.

yes its fine. The only time it would cause an issue is on the track where they will warm up differently. Even then its not a massive problem as front and rears warm up differently anyway!

it depends really but since its an rwd i would make sure u got good ones on the back. I got 235 potenzas on the front and hancook 265 on the back. NO issue at all, just make sure that they are pairs :D

My Dads the same "must have same tyres front and rear, blah blah blah" yeah maybe thats what they had to do in the olden days, when they had to have the same tyres front and rear whilst dodging dinosaurs on the way to the shops!

yes its fine. The only time it would cause an issue is on the track where they will warm up differently. Even then its not a massive problem as front and rears warm up differently anyway!

^^^+1

I had this issue when my Potenza RE-01Rs wore out at the rear. I replaced them with Toyo Proxes.

The difference in heat build-up was such that the Proxes felt mushy. When my Potenzas wore down at the front & replaced with Proxes (as a matching set), everything was sweet again.