SAU Community

what tyres should i choose???

Try one of the better brands where you're not paying for the name, like Michelin, Falken, Kumho, etc. Simex or Nankang if you're really on a budget (they're pretty good for cheap tyres). Do a search for specific models, it's been covered numerous times :rofl:

205/55-16 is stock gts-t size and i think 225/50-16 is GTR size (could be wrong). They're about the same overall diameter too which is handy.

Get the best ones you can afford, because good tyres will make a fairly big difference to your cars handling.

Check out places with second hand rubber too, you can get some real bargains on brand name stuff at the better end of the tyre spectrum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hmmm...I'm in the same boat aswell. My GTS-t is running 225/50/16. I currently have Yoko A539 but I've been doing some research and it's been quite negative.

Here's the current list of tyres I'm looking at (in 225/50/16) which some prices:

Falken ST115 - $198

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 - $180

Dunlop FM901 - $220

Yokohama A539 - $185

Bridgestone G3 - $210

Bridgestone S03 - $240

Hankook K104 - (couldn't get a price)

Pirelli P7000 - $185

Sumitomo HTR Z50 - $145

now as you can see I have a big dilemma. The Sumitomo's are dirt cheap and apparently are quite good. But the fella at Jax said they're cheap and nasty. He recommended the Kumho or the Hankook. The bloke who recommended the Sumitomo's swears by them. He said bang for you buck there is none better. They're made from the Dunlop factory so it's not of dodgey quality, and they do handle well.

MOTOR's recent tyre view had the Hankook come up first (I'm told this I haven't had a chance to take a look). Dunlop FM901's are noisy - not sure if the exhaust will cover that noise. The S03's are soft like the G3 and the A539.

I'm trying to do some research about the Sumitomo's. I'll report back very soon. (I need new tyres by Saturday).

dunno if this helps, but....

Like most of you, I been through a heep of different tyres.. The best allround performance I ever had & still have are the Michelin Pilot X. A bit pricey but they're as quiet as mouse and grip like the all mighty. Falkens:( personally I'd stay away from them. The last set I bought I think they're were ST115's they were suppose to replace the GB's. Had them on a rex for a month "I would have been better riding on bare rims & took em :D " Got the Michelins & never looked back.

ive just replaced my rears with kumho 711 225/50/16 and the car feels terrible. mind u im still runnin 3yr old nangkangs at the front. the car feels very floaty especially when accelarating(i presume because of the shitty tires up front) and i get terrible understeer at low speeds. as for cornering they do the job well. went for a cruise with the wrx club yesterday to portsea and arthurs seat, couldnt wipe the smile off my face on those twisties then i was reminded how loose it felt on the straights.

anybody have any ideas on why this is happening??

Get Dunlop Formula 901s for $200 and you will not complain. My mate has them and he loves them. There not that noisy. I've got Dunlop W10's on atm and they are great. I sometimes find it hard to loss trackion in the wet and they are a great tyre for both road and track. I'm getting 901's next cause they are the replacement for the W10's and they are supposed to be better. The noise is unnoticable, I've been in my mates car and not noticed it at all, so I highly recommend them.....