SAU Community

Broke my diff :(

NA_R33

Hi all,

Well this morning for some strange reason i decided to do a u turn on boundery street in brisbane, if u know the area its fairly busy at about 8 am. So ive started, it was raining and i realised that i would have to make this a three point turn, theres now traffic coming from both directions and i panicked (spelling*) a bit dropped the clutch in reverse, and i got lots of axle tramp and then BANG, sounded like the back half of my car fell off or something. So by now i was pissed but had to go to school.

So im on my way home this afternoon after a really ****ed up day and i rembered what had happened, so im cornering fairly hard to see if nething had broken, after feeling the car was not quite right i pulled out of a t intersection to turn right, clutch in, in 2nd, dialed up 6500rpm and let it go, and as i suspected i left ONE beatiful big black line, not 2 and didnt go sidewayz as the car normally would. Now very pissed off i began to look at the bright side.

550 bucks later my car is now getting a gtst diff in preparation for the VH45DE, which i have recently put a deposit on, engine should be in less then 6-7 weeks. so i guess its not all bad.

Just thought id share it with you.

Cheers

John

ill do my best for u, ill ask the mechanic tomorrow when ipick it up. My mechanic actually said there are four different types just for 33's. turbo 4stud, turbo 5 stud, non turbo 5 stud and non turbo 5 stud, and most of them have different brake combo's aswell, he said he couldnt beleave it and is just praying the one he got me is gonna fit apparently i may also need a different cradle?? for the turbo diff.

The r33gtst diff is very strong, sub zero are running the stocker on their beasty 3ltr 9.4 sec weapon, same centre and all.

bad luck for you though mate, sorry to hear, how much is the v8conversion costing, fitted etc, what gearbox are you using??

PVA_GLUE: Sorry mate basically what i said in my previous post is all the info he could give me on the different diff's he doesnt know the part numbers.

Its good to hear my new diff is tuff, so hopefully i wont be breaking it netime soon. The conversion all up is costing around 7g's drive in drive out, though im helping out with alot of labour and it includes a full twin exaust and microtech ltx-12 comp and tuning. im hopeing for around 300kws at the crank with minimal mods which my mechanic says is not unacheavable.

My best friend is buying my old engine to put in his silvia with a 100hp shot of nos strapped to it, so dont race him.

tell me about it.

Last year i buy the thing, off to the panel beaters to have front left quater, door and rear quarter repsrayed as it was keyed, i think **** it, month later it goes back to get the whole thing done except for the bumpers.

Mum then backed into, off to the panel beaters, then i decide to get the bumpers resprayed.

Couple of months later the ****en gate to our driveway falls on it, and breaks the headlight, pokes a whole in the bonnet and quarter panel.

I get my licence, 2 days later, chick in front of me gets cut off, and i rear end her.

About three months ago, i get my new kit fitted, week later i crack it on my own driveway, old front bumper goes back on and i get backed into at KFC.

still waiting for my new bumper and then the ****en diff breaks, im pulling my hair out just ready to give up with the ****in thing.

Ah well just waiting for the engine now.

• 1 month later...

hmm ... my car is not in the poll list...

anyway, this will be a great chance for me to find out if there's ANYONE out there who drives the same model as i do...

my girl's a black 1992 2-door R32 Skyline GTS25 with RB25DE engine. Since day 1 when I took over, i have gotten 2.5 inch exhuast, air pod and side skirts for her. Lots of mates mistaken her for a GTR but the stock 4 studs wheels are a giveaway. She handles very well and is extremely fun to drive. Been tempted many times by mates to drop in a RB24DET inside but naaahhh... what's the point?... i like NA anyway ...

anyone of you guys own this model as well?

cheers

genesis

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it's the same... R33 GTS-t LSD is 4.11:1 for manual and 4.3:1 for auto... 3.69 will be too small, speedo will be off and may cause the car to accelerate much slower due to taller gearing. Good for high speed run though, like 300km/h land speed record as stock diff ratio will only allow about 250km/h top speed.

An update on my new diff, its now broken too :D im just about ready to give up, finances have pushed my conversion back even further and now this. Am i doing something wrong? breaking a turbo diff with a non turbo skyline? mmmmm, this one will have to stay broken for a little while this time.