SAU Community

Registration & Legal Implications (if Any)

Marko R1

Unfortunately another one of those State differences, in NSW you can't simple stick a 1986 model engine into, say, a 1993 model car. They know the date of manufacture from the engine number, much easier for Commodore RB30's as they weren't available after 1989. No chance of sneaking one of those into a 1993 model. Even if all you are changing is the block, that's where the engine number is and so it is still a problem.

Im in NSW, didnt re-stamp my block and the RTA simply entered all my details straight off the blue slip/change of records form and engineers cert into the database without any issues. So In my case putting an old motor into a new vehicle definately wasn't a problem.

Edited by MintR33

Where in the engine number does it signify what year its from?

I still do not understand that...

To my understanding they have all the engine numbers listen on a database along with the vehicle. So once they have the engine number they also know where it came from (stolen or not stolen)

seems other states have it easy. SA is very strict. which suks on one hand but not if you do some thinking of ways around things. All i had to say was RB30 with twin cam head and i got an instant NO! Never a production engine so it can never live in a car on the road. Same as the RB30na getting turboed. Because the compression is higher when you use the NA block it's also a no no. like i said before though they only recently clacked on to this because to my understanding there was more VL 'blocks' comining through mainly in 31's i think than seemed reasonable and they made a link.

I don't know about police interstate too but they don't need to prove anything here, only suspect to send you for an inspection. i know a guy who was defected (GTR) because the officer said he saw oil drip from his car while stopped at the traffic lights!!!! could not show where it came from but it was enough for an inspection which consequently put him in the dumps because it was modified.

I rekon keep things looking stock and forget about it. if you were to crash and they somhow blamed it on engine modification you would be in the same amount of trouble for a different turbo.

handy when you have a stock engine as a spare.

Must be impossible for all the Hot Rodders in SA then. Did you even talk to an engineer?

Hot rodders fall in to a different category. Don't think much matters for them.

I spoke too two engineers. One said "this engineer is not prepared to do it" and the other engineer with an excellent reputation said it was not possible simply because the block is from an older engine and my car is pre 86. he said i could go RB26 etc etc with some chassis torque testing and larger brakes and the rest of it but not RB30, not even RB30et.

car is a silvia btw.

however i suppose if you had a post 86 vehicle (s1 r31?) then maybe it could be worked around if you are willing to fork out $$$ for various testing.

But like i said before the EPA never mentioned any of this they simply said you cannot just mix and match engines because the engine must have come from a production vehicle. There was no twin cam RB30.

Classic cars seem to get a golden blanked that makes police look and not touch anway, unlike jap cars.

i'm about to make a phonecall and ask them again, it was over a year ago when i first looked in to it.

confirmed by the EPA just then.

Very simple a blunt "No, you can not mix and match engines" i asked why and he said the same as what i was told last time "not a production engine" i then asked about any possibility to get it engineered "No".

i also asked about RB30et and after a few moments on hold he asked me the year of my car and then bluntly said "No, you cant"

Guess that clears it up in SA then.

If you want an RB30DE/T/T in SA legally, bad luck.

Where in the engine number does it signify what year its from?

I still do not understand that...

The NSW RTA computer system has the engine number and the chassis number it came from linked. It's mostly for use with stolen cars and sold off parts, hence the engine number linking. But they do use the same database for determining the age of the engine based on the chassis number it came from and when it was first registered. Punch in an RB30 engine number from a Skyline or Commodore and up comes the chassis number it was in and when it was first registered. The data is shared amongst the states, it was part of the push to stop the practise of stolen car rebirthing interstate. What other states do I have no idea. I do know a lot of SA guys that get their modified cars registered in Vic to avoid the Nazis.

Same as the RB30na getting turboed. Because the compression is higher when you use the NA block it's also a no no.

There is no difference in RB30E and RB30ET blocks, the compression ratio difference is in the pistons. We know that, but the Nazis are too stupid to bother checking the facts.

Cheers

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to a few here in SA regarding the RB30DET in mine.

In short it was to be treated as a stroker of which I was told required it to be signed off by a select few engineers and emissions tested. I was then told ~4k per emissions test. Unsure how much the $$ has changed but this was a good number of years ago.

Now with all the whoo haa of modified cars here in SA (even though its the RCK hoons causing all the ruckus) they may have even clamped up more so.

Since no Rb30 is younger than your car you could not do it at all. assuming you have the 32? older engine in newer car = no no.

If you had an RB30 you could stroke it out but not put a twin cam head on it, i'v asked a few times now.

Plus sydneykid they don't know by the engine that it was originally a turbo engine, but by the car that it came out in...

If you had a r31 and wanted to turbo it then you need an RB30 from a VL turbo.

I was talking to a guy from the r31skylinesclub.com before (i had a 31 a while back) and he mentioned heaps of people got there cars registered as turbo until regency cracked down on it and require the lower compression engine. By that they cant check compression but rather the engine number. An engine from the VL-t is obviously lower comp from factory so that's what they want...

I dare say anyone that has been already registered with an R31-t may feel the peril if they are sent back to regency.

But really it depends what mood they are in :D one of my friends was refused rego for a small rip in his vinyl door trim of his r32...

Of course there is still the route of backhanders here.... won't say too much but $2000 to the right place and you have no dramas

(lets hope you don't get defected every week hah)

Since no Rb30 is younger than your car you could not do it at all. assuming you have the 32? older engine in newer car = no no.

R31's were producted until 5/1991, R32 GTR's started production in 6/1989. As long as you have a GTR made before 5/1991 it isn't an old engine in a newer car.