SAU Community

Help Needed With Mods For My R32

Yeah I think they may have stopped selling them new. Might be a bit out of your price range but if you want the response I think Hypergear also do a ball bearing highflow, bigger than the HKS2530 for more power and only a little less responsive.

I ended up buying the Justjap type camgears. I have heard bad things about the HKS ones as they are only held by 3 bolts but I think some of the other brands such as OSGiken are pretty good. Realistically they won't make any difference and I would imagine even the worst would have lives longer than most current RB20DET's will live unless you have had a rebuild recently. Some people do say to replace the bolts on the Just Jap ones as that is the first thing that will let go.

HKS cams or cam gears ?? not worth doing cam gears on std cams i dont think HKS cams gona cost u about 550 each with the dollar the way it is

prob not necessary

im running hks 2530, hks 264 in and ex cams and the rest as you are above get 308 rwhp at 17-18 psi

cams moved the touque curve up a little something you prob dont need on an rb20 but holds peak power well but dont think they are a necessary... cam gear may increase mid range

the difference bewteen 220 rwkw and 230 rwkw is yes techincally diff but running it on road doubt you find it much diff other than numbers chasing

above sounds like a good proven solid quick package

yeah i am going for non ball bearing high flow turbo r33 from hyper gear - costing me $1125.00 inc postage..

will bolt that on.. then save up for the rest..

is there much benefit if i have the money when the time comes getting 800 or 900cc injectors over getting 440cc gtr injectors?? willl i notice much power difference once tuned if any?

No power difference unless you were to upgrade. You only need a big enough fuel system to keep mixtures at a certain Air/Fuel ratio. the GTR injectors are easily enough for what you need. I have heard of some people having problems idling with larger injectors, you can imagine that the bigger you go, you lose 'resolution' IE 1% of 440cc is 4.4cc, 1% of 900cc is 9cc so I think this is the reasoning behind it.

Replace fuel pump if stock asap (they're quite old now). Mine was going lean running stock turbo and made a world of difference just upgrading. Pretty cheap and easy DIY and it's not worth the risk of running lean.

Replace fuel pump if stock asap (they're quite old now). Mine was going lean running stock turbo and made a world of difference just upgrading. Pretty cheap and easy DIY and it's not worth the risk of running lean.

ok.. but shouldnt i replace injectors same time i do fuel pump or doesnt matter??

can i upgrade to gtr injectors now without getting a tune?

thanks, ben

def do fuel pump, that is just a given

cant just run diff injectors with no tune run rich and kill things... u also have to run resistor pack with ur injectors as they are diff impedence etc

too easy.. thanks for that...

do injectors need to be professionally cleaned if i purchase second hand ones??

and wat about fuel pump?? all ok to just hook new one up?

thanks, ben

yeah thanks i was going to put a gtr fuel pump in it i had decided....

but almost seems worthwhile getting like a walbro or bosch 044 due to the amount they are being brand new?? and the fact i could buy a gtr one which could be a dudd... im thinking better off getting something new which will last long long time garunteed

ive been told there is no harm at all getting bigger fuel pump as it just means it can push through more than enough fuel needed but only sends through as much as injectors need?

thoughts on this..

Correct.

Forget about the 044, its too big. The 040 is what you want, its the closest thing to 'bolt in' and will do the job more than easily. Dont go a GTR fuel pump, its old and like you said new Bosch ones arent expensive. Steer clear of Walbro pumps.

Forget this idea you have about 900cc injectors. Bigger is not always better, you have to be smart about things. Go the 440s. If they come out a engine that its running perfectly, and if you dont let them sit around, there shouldnt be a need to clean them, but if you want piece of mind, go right ahead.

The comments about cam gears not doing anything on standard cams is complete bullshit. Cam gears make a huge difference to midrange and top end, more importantly power delivery. A gain of about 20kw depending on your turbo can be had in the midrange just with cam gears. No need to change bolts in GKTECH cam gears.

Correct.

Forget about the 044, its too big. The 040 is what you want, its the closest thing to 'bolt in' and will do the job more than easily. Dont go a GTR fuel pump, its old and like you said new Bosch ones arent expensive. Steer clear of Walbro pumps.

Forget this idea you have about 900cc injectors. Bigger is not always better, you have to be smart about things. Go the 440s. If they come out a engine that its running perfectly, and if you dont let them sit around, there shouldnt be a need to clean them, but if you want piece of mind, go right ahead.

The comments about cam gears not doing anything on standard cams is complete bullshit. Cam gears make a huge difference to midrange and top end, more importantly power delivery. A gain of about 20kw depending on your turbo can be had in the midrange just with cam gears. No need to change bolts in GKTECH cam gears.

thanks for that mate... some very very useful information. im going to get highflow r33 turbo.. n will get fuel pump n hook both up at same time...

i have seen couple of power fc's for $1000 and i know getting nisstune will cost about $900 including tune...

any better getting power fc over nisstune at all?? information ive been getting is all contradicting..

or does it all not make too much as difference as long as someone can tune power fc that i get??

cheers

go a 2530, they are MADE for 2L engine, an RB25 highflow is an upgrade for a 2.5...... my 32 supposedly has a 2535 but it could be a 2530, way more than enough power for the street!

garret 2860=HKS2530

• 1 month later...

Here's what i am doing.. i have finally got the money to do everything i want to do....

Now i have purchased walbro fuel pump new as i was told by local tuner they are the best to use with their tune - i am getting nisstune..

I have found a second hand highflow r33 turbo with 10000 k's on it.. looks like new.. one question. Is there any particular thing that confirms it is highflow just by looking at the pics? I cannot tell and have been told how to tell the difference to make sure i not getting ripped.

Also, I am going to buy gtr injectors and probably get cheap cam gear on ebay... will get the injectors cleaned and tested to be safe. Also going to get Z32 AFM and K & N Pod Filter to suit.

This should hopefully suit what i am looking for.. one other thing i am weighing up is splitfire coilpack... but alot of money when mine seem fine at the moment.. recommendations with this??

And this all up should see me getting what i am after at a fairly cheap price.. i have about $2500-$3000 to do all i want including tune which should see this out.. :angry:

Any other tips etc would be greatfully appreciated as i am going to be having this done over next couple of weeks

If you can post up a photo of its comp and turbine wheel then we should know if its been high flowed or not. But if you compare it to you stock turbo you would definitly notice the difference in wheels sizes.

If you can post up a photo of its comp and turbine wheel then we should know if its been high flowed or not. But if you compare it to you stock turbo you would definitly notice the difference in wheels sizes.

excellent.. that would be great..i will post pics up tonight and let me know what you think..

thankyou, Ben.