SAU Community

Work Wanted

blind_elk

Wonderful news to make my weekend worth while.

I've just been advised that as of next Wednesday July 1, I will be without a job. My current job is in IT, working on Oracle databases, Oracle Forms, SQL*Plus.

If anyone knows of suitable work please let me know via PM.

TIA

the visually challenged moose

I was thinking of subcontracting someone to develop a few Oracle DB procedures to work with an online application I'm developing for a client, still waiting on the tender to be approved first though, but if it comes through, I might have some freelance work?

Anyone know anything about SQL Server? Is it like Oracle RDBMS, or is there a lot more in it, like .NET, VB, etc.

I'm thinking of applying for a job at my local council.

SQL Server db admin here.. in 2005 there's visual studio, but you can still write in t-sql which is preferable. Had to do a oracle to sqlsrv migration recently, and that was a pain in the ass. But i'm sure you'll be fine as you sound pretty experienced in oracle.. and yep sqlserver just another rdbms.

i mean if someone is going to pay you to do sql server and code etc then go for it

but as far as managing it, adminstration of it etc oracle is better and bulletproof on solaris

oracle is way better than sql server

windows & sql servers = sucky

oracle on solaris is bulletproof

Here we go again........this old debate :D

I've worked with both...Horses for courses IMO :down:

i mean if someone is going to pay you to do sql server and code etc then go for it

but as far as managing it, adminstration of it etc oracle is better and bulletproof on solaris

SQL server is easy to admin, but there are some limitations of things you just cannot tune.

Where in Oracle, there is much more to tune but it also relatively harder to admin.

Paulr33 have you worked with SQL server? Or just Oracle?

90% of my work has been with SQL server admin, but I've programmed in both SQL server and Oracle, I'm not a full-time DBA though....

From a programming point of view, in the past Oracle used to be awesome due to the fact that you could program in triggers, stored procedures etc. But these days MSSql and MySQL have caught up to the tech. The only issue is with the OS's they're implemented, but even that these days is pretty good. Personally the only thing I've come across that the latter two engines suck at is that they're slightly slower in calculating hashes and reindexing etc.

have done both, not as much sql server

it just seems to standard and out of the box

and any retard can get them self into trouble really easily from assumptions etc

whereas oracle you really need to know whats going on to tune it properly

very poweful when done properly

we did an oracle 10g rac cluster on solaris, it was ace

• 3 weeks later...