SAU Community

Dealers, Twats, Same Thing ?

Went in to the local and only on the Gold Coast Nissan dealer for a few oil filters and innocently asked what oil Nissan spec'd for an R34GT-t, it was all downhill from there on, I was condescendingly told 'Nissan don't recomend any oils for imports' in a manner that left no doubt that if he had to choose between serving me and a pile of dogcrap the dogcrap would get served first.

Is this a general thing ?

I had heard that Nissan whilst not being encouraging regarding imports were at least mildly supportive regarding OE aftermarket parts.

But maybe that was Mitsubishi ?

:pirate:

Edited by BASHO

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do get some decent guys at a few dealers but...

many feel that they're subverted by the grey import market > a "Them & Us" attitude.

I wonder if NISSAN JAPAN had even the slightest idea that a two tier mind-set was going to be created around the globe with their performance cars?

It seems to happen at a few Nissan dealerships. I work in Nissan parts, and i'm more than happy to help other import drivers, probably because I know what it can be like trying to find parts for them from my own experiences. But i also know of people who would rather not spend the time on import stuff.

As for your oil, there's no specific imports lubricant guide that i know of, but nissan have a 7.5w30 or a synthetic 5w30 that may be suitable for you.

Yeh its a funny thing with some of the dealers, it's like they don't want to make money. This was real strange to me when I brought my '32's over from NZ in '99, where the Nissan dealers were actually selling imports. The NZ guys were only too happy to take your dollars from you and help you out. When I was in Brisi the only Nissan dealer that was helpful was the Moorooka dealer and they were really quite good, getting hold of all the parts I wanted, even including those window rubbing strips for the doors. I don't know if they are still keen on imports as I have been in the ACT for a few years now but they are worth a try!

It seems to happen at a few Nissan dealerships. I work in Nissan parts, and i'm more than happy to help other import drivers, probably because I know what it can be like trying to find parts for them from my own experiences. But i also know of people who would rather not spend the time on import stuff.

As for your oil, there's no specific imports lubricant guide that i know of, but nissan have a 7.5w30 or a synthetic 5w30 that may be suitable for you.

Thanks for that , I think it comes under the "everyone has to have someone to look down on" school of thought :D stupid bastards, the amount of damage this does the brand is huge not to mention lost revenue , do they think that by being agressively unhelpfull will encourage my wife to go Nissan , dream on she already gave that idea away after encountering an agressive Nissan salesperson , it may be the entire company needs an attitude brush up ?

Whinge over. :D

I changed to Valvolene engine armour 10/30 semi syn by way of default however this whilst giving 2kg/sq cm (24.4 psi) at idle at opperating temperature it only gives 3kg/sq cm (36.6) at 60kph/4th gear which is less than the old rubbish I threw out, I have no idea what is normal but this seems very low to me, I'll do a search , or I'll just phone Nissan---nah---I'll do a search. :laugh:

I've had great dealings with Lakeside Nissan parts depart in SA. When I changed my gearbox they found out what the best grade of oil was for it aswell as how much it should hold. I would highly recommend them to everyone, plus friendly guys to deal with, :laugh: and I've been dealing with them for years. :laugh:

dealers are twats... end of story... ive worked in lots.... just because they have a nissan/toyota/datsun, whatever shirt on... the people there are usually the last to know anything and they are on a need to know basis.. meaning you, by jumping on google etc, can find out stuff before they do.

generally they dont want to waste time with import owners... if farmer joe wants a new diff housing for his 78' landcruiser and big shteeve wants some trd bits for his supra... chances are they'll serve farmer joe first because he wont be a pain, complain about the price, or cause unneccessary stress... and even if it is stressful, farmer joe will complete the purchase.

tooo many times ive done my absolute best to source parts for people, get prices and availabilty from japan or the states, beyond the dealerships means, only to have them turn around and say its to too expensive, takes too long and they can get a/m stuff from goober down the road heaps cheaper and my work has been for nothing, after a while, this takes it toll and the attitude changes accordingly.

cheerio

Lint

I've personally been into the Nissan Dealer Ship on the Gold Coast, several times chasing different parts for my r33, Exhaust manifold studs, exhaust man gasket, turbo/man gasket, few other things i cant really remember now. Altho they werent the friendliest people i have ever met, they did however answer every query i had and each time had the parts in stock i needed :(

I've personally been into the Nissan Dealer Ship on the Gold Coast, several times chasing different parts for my r33, Exhaust manifold studs, exhaust man gasket, turbo/man gasket, few other things i cant really remember now. Altho they werent the friendliest people i have ever met, they did however answer every query i had and each time had the parts in stock i needed :(

Good to hear there's a silver lining.

Hahaha if you guys reckon you have trouble, try owning a Holden Calibra. Atleast Nissan dealers have heard of your car.

Yep, time to find another Nissan dealer.

The one at Capalaba was very good. Pretty rare not to see an import in the carpark and the spare part guys are very helpful.

You should hear the response from Toyota or Lexus when you ask Aristo questions. They have no clue and could care less.

Well im in a parts dept, and i go next door for nissan bits, Hornsby Nissan.. the guys there are friendly and will help out with anything they can.

I work for a multi franchise company, but the three biggest being Toyota, Lexus and VW..

From what i have felt the imports or grey market as its known is one that is challenging and u meet alot of different ppl..

These people actually know stuff about their car, make, model, year, enigne, transmission... yet i get some person driving a camry and cant even tell me what year it is or the number plate... its too hard for them to compare pics on the car so i have to go and see what sort of car it is... so i much rather look after import owners... and if its stupidly expensive i may give them a trade prrice or better than trade..

grigor aristos are a beautiful machine to work with... let me know if i can help u with any parts that u are after!!

Yep, time to find another Nissan dealer.

The one at Capalaba was very good. Pretty rare not to see an import in the carpark and the spare part guys are very helpful.

You should hear the response from Toyota or Lexus when you ask Aristo questions. They have no clue and could care less.

I spoke to a guy called Garry in parts at Nissan in Wollongabba (ph 3896 6710) who was very helpfull he informed me that when it come to servicing they can and do do imports also they are one of only three dealers , I think in QLD, who actualy have the Nissan speed-whatever program that enables full integrated access to the stock R34's ECUs , I'm guessing that this is the CONSULT program that the bloody workshop manual is dependant on to work properly.

I'm guessing, and hoping , that I just struck my local and only dealer parts people on a bad day as the Gabba is a fair hoyk for an oil filter.

Bye the Bye Wollongabba Nissan are moving to Mnt Gravatt on the 24th this month.

Edited by BASHO

Sometimes it's just the person you get at the time you walk in there I guess.

I get R34 bits from Lennock Nissan sometimes (usually just filters) and the guy I normally go in and see is really great, get me what I need (eg. got me a couple of breather hoses from Nissan Japan fairly quickly) and has a chat etc. Even asked to see my car once and brought the workshop guys out too.

But once or twice I get this guy who's mood changes completely when I ask him for R34 bits, he suddenly looks down on you and either tells you "we don't have parts for private imports" and walks off, or goes in the back and has a look for literally no more than 4 seconds, sticks his head out around the corner and says "No you'll have to try one of those aftermarket workshops" and then walks off.

Anyway, I guess it can depend on who you get on the day.

Hahaha if you guys reckon you have trouble, try owning a Holden Calibra. Atleast Nissan dealers have heard of your car.

not really - i own a stagea :blush:

try explaining that!

I've spoken to a few dealers around Syd and most have seemed happy to help. In saying that, they definately charge you for that help.

As an example, the last item i priced up was $150 more expensive from my local Nissan dealer than from Just Jap. And the price from Just Jap was $140 :-)

As much as they can provide the parts it'll always be an absoluet last resort to even get a quote from them from now on.