SAU Community

Lakeside Sprints

Noddy

http://www.trackattack.com.au/2010/

I found website just recently and have booked in today for this sunday. Basicly they have bought 1 of the sprint sessions and are looking for people to fill the spots. There about ten in total i think and were still a few spots avalible when I last spoke to him. As i understand, there is still places avalible for this sunday.

Entry form link http://trackattack.com.au/forms/2009%20ent...ntry%202009.pdf

Call Geoff on 0407 763 976 If you are interested. I found him very approachabe and good to deal with.

Ps. the number is on the entry form and after talking to him, he is happy for me to post it up here.

Hopefully I might see some of you out there.

Edited by Noddy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeh, they told me I was concistant ly 101db with a rotary not fay behind me. MMM, who was realy the loud 1? how ever my day was over after the 2nd run any way when a rear cracked (Peddle went very long) going into carosel. It started the lap before and I thought the pads are getting down to about 1/2 worn, perhaps ther starting to over heat quicker?

When the peddle went realy long on the 200+ entry to carosel, I thought "that feels very odd, even for fade" and decided to brake early for hungry. On arrival at hungry....the peddle went to the floor at about 195kph...... :( a combination for foot & H'brake and compression lock got it in to the corner but, HOLLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! not something I want to do again. Suprisingly even with a greatly subdued remainder of the lap it still clocked in the 62sec bracket.

My second drive of the Sil80 at Lakeside yesterday was a bit less scary than Noddy's experience! My first 2 sessions were wasted with an overboost problem caused by a faulty bleed valve. But once I removed that everything was good. Wastegate pressure was 0.9bar (~13.5psi) so I only lost 0.1bar (~1.5psi). Imperceptible to the seat of the pants, but must be a touch shy of the 200rwkw it made on the dyno now.

Handling is much improved from the first drive at Lakeside, but still has a way to go. It doesn't like bumps at all, so under the bridge which I take at full throttle in 5th gear at over 180km/h, often involved significant amounts of opposite lock. With only 2 sessions of the car running properly, I only got to try 1 change at the track (rear shock adjustment) so I'm looking forward to the next Lakeside Open Sprint in 2 weeks time.

I ended up with a new PB in the final session of 59.87. My first ever sub 60 second lap of Lakeside! :P I'll have some video up in the coming days. There should still be plenty of time left in the car yet. Its early days for the suspension setup, and its still fairly crude at the moment. But for now I'm over the moon with that.

Very nicely done Harry! Sub 60 is quick! We towed that crashed Evo home, but while we loaded it I watched you coming under Dunlop from the outside of the track, you ummmmmm, had some going on there! lol

And 5th gear!? She have short gearing or just goes really hard?

I also had an interesting time on sunday. First session of the day, second lap, i managed to get a front left flat. Turning on to the straight coming down the hill i thought thats weird i seam to have lost some grip. Through the kink seamed fine as the right side was loaded. Then as i hit the brakes at roughly 200 coming close to carousel the front left dipped on me. Once again thinking thats weird + HOLY SHIT. Managed to slow it down and went to turn in and understeered big time. Somehow got it around and back into pits to find the tire dead flat.

Went and pumped it up again to find the bead was leaking. got the psi up to 35 and the leak sealed. i then droped it back to 30psi (RE55s) and it was fine. i thought ill put it on the back assuming there would be less load on the tire and get back out there and take it easy.

However when i took the wheel off there was also two massive bubbles on the inside sidewall.

And that was the end of my day :P;) ...however im looking at the good side of things and glad i didnt end up in the tire wall!!

Took it to the tire shop today to see whether it was due to a fault in the tire or a fitment mistake...will be interesting to find out.

It will be interesting to hear the results ben.

It looked like most ppl were getting a pretty good handle on things by the end of the day with some good times as well. I liked the new surface but a little disapointed that the kink has lost some of its fear factor. At any rate I can't wait to get back in a forghtnights time... I think, will check the dates.

ming spec, was that you in the gold R34 GTR? that thing was beautiful!

Completely agree with Noddy about the kink. the next sprint is the 2nd of August mate. See you there!

Thanks Ben. Its just shy of 200rwkw so its not an animal in a straight line but goes OK. Not sure what diff ratio its got. I just shift into 5th before the bridge.

Geez Ming, lucky to get away with that one, also interested to hear the outcome if any.

Noddy, was that your 33 with the big wing on the back?

2nd of August is my new target. Car went to paint today, and now I need some new rubber. Does anyone know if they have plans to place some ripple strips on the inside of any of the resurfaced corners, like the Kink, and under Dunlop?

They have said in earlier drivers breifings that they are not even going to fill up to the new height of the track surface. So I doubt there is any plan to put in new ripple strips. There would be a 4" (or more) drop in places off the edge of the track. Their response is "stay on the black part and you'll be fine". They haven't even painted lines around the track yet - 7 months after the resurfacing.

In the first session I went close/on to the edge out of eastern loop, into bus stop and before the bridge, F$%&ing scary!!!

Yes marlin it has a big silly wing. Will be taking some rake off it as I was getting some highspeed understear. Front splitter miht help there too???? mmmm how to make a new splitter before the 2nd?

Once I have a decent connection I'll check out ya driving Harry :( lol

If I had of been less hungover Stuart I would have realised it was you and said hi :D

Re the drop offs, it's one of the things I really dislike about the track after it's resurface, not because I'd cut the corners (the kink and right under Dunlop), but because before you could at least run the tyre juuuust over the edge for a little extra grip on the inner sidewall, but now you run the risk of tyre damage doing that.

Joysus! Just had a look at the vid, either your car has plenty of stick or it's short geared or it weighs nothing (which i suspect after seeing it LOL).

You're pulling 5th just onto the straight! (I hold 4th for the whole straight, maybe slot 5th if I'm feeling easy on it).

I pull 4th at the left crest near the bus stop, and I wish I could get the grip to pull 5th Under Dunlop, flat in 4th is the best I can do.

And Hungry, are you in 4th gear through there! lol

Yer thats me, Cheers for the comment Harry. Congrats on the sub 60..thats awesome

The tire shop took responsibility for poor fitment. There was a small tear where the leak was at the bead. they said the bubbling was then formed from driving back into pits on the flat tire.

So they have ordered me a new tire and recommend i get it fitted elsewhere. Was very happy in the way they handled the situation.

Lets just hope there is no tears in the other 3.

Its probably a little of all 3.

Would be reasonably light, but still plenty of stuff that could come out. All the air con apart from the compressor is still there. Front half of the interior is still in, including passenger seat, console, carpet, CD player, speakers and rooflining.

The thing has 270bhp at the wheels, but that's only part of the story. Its also got over 260bhp at the wheels from 5000-7500, so basically there is no point on the track where it has less than 260bhp available to use :) Its very nice power delivery. If I can harness a bit more of it on the exits of Carousel and onto the straight it will get faster.

I don't really know what diff ratios are common in these things. But if I had to guess I'd say its around 4.3ish? I'll have a look while I'm tinkering on it this weekend.

The shift into 5th before the bridge is a slight short-shift. I figure its better than wringing its neck in 4th under there and wanting another gear half way through. Similar sort of thing for Hungry. Could use 3rd but it would be reving its tits off for no real reason. So I leave it a gear higher and just try to carry as much speed as I can.

Your RB20 probably revs higher than my truck engine too?

lol, well, I wanna drive it.... you're welcome to steer mine too if ya want?

I shift at around 7k, my stock turbo runs out of puff very quickly. Understand what you're saying re using the torque in 5th, maybe the SR's better, my RB just lays over in 5th, rpm drops just too far.