SAU Community

Auto Antenna Height Adjustment?

Hi guys, I have a cheap Pioneer head unit that keeps the antenna up at all times while on - even while on cd mode. I'm *this* close to going and getting a switch to put in line with the antenna remote wire so I can click it *up* or *down* - easy enough.

What I'm curious about is, could I put a knob in place of the switch? Would that affect the height of the antenna? Or would it do nothing at all?

I figure the way it works is the antenna itself is wired to earth + power (from head deck). This makes the motor go up. When you remove the power signal (turn the deck off), it's earthed only, and the motor spins the other way (retracts it). If this is the case, then my idea WON'T work.... but can someone fill me in on how the antenna DOES in fact go up and down if this is not the case?

And is there a way that I could in fact use a knob to set the height of the antenna? So dial in 5 on the knob and it sits at half height etc etc.

And yes I know it's not really that useful but I'm more curious than anything hehe.

Thanks guys.

Its not possible with a fully automatic antenna, such as the one that comes in the R33.its ether fully up or fully down. however if you can find a semi automatic antenna that will fit then your idea will work.

My listing doesnt have anything for a skyline as its an import so you would ether have to try and match something up from another car or give a universal one a go and try and fit the plastic part that sits in the gaurd to the new antenna. Part number from Aerpro for the semi automatic universal one is AP24, head down to your local autobarn or strathfeilds and they should have them in stock.

Jack

My 96 S2 33 has a switch on the dash just under the left side of the steering wheel, this changes the antenna to be fully up or only half.

Previously I've had 2 different kenwood head units and they both only power the antenna when your in radio mode. cd/usb etc the antenna is fully down.

my alpine keeps my aerial down unless the radio is on.

but i'd love to be able to go 1/2 or full mast on the aerial too. however this is a series 2 option only, and from what i understand is more complicated than just using a pot switch.

i recall something about it running through the ecu, or through its own processing unit, or something of that nature.

Edited by Munkyb0y

Thanks heaps for the replies guys! And thanks Jack for the part numbers etc but I don't think I'll bother with that, seems too involved, and I'm quite lazy haha!

And Tony I was pretty sure it would have to be more complex than just wiring it to a pot. We could wish though :)

I'm going to be swapping a USB kenwood unit in as soon as I can afford to, so it shouldn't be a problem then, but I figured it would be an interesting project to kill an hour on the weekend!

there should be a switch under the steering wheel on your left hand side that allows you to put your antenna 1/2 up or full. As far as your aerial staying up all the time it hasn't been wired properly on the HU. Pull the HU out and re-wire it to the blue "antenna" wire - not the amp remote wire. Aerial will go up when radio is on and go down when you put on any other source.

there should be a switch under the steering wheel on your left hand side that allows you to put your antenna 1/2 up or full. As far as your aerial staying up all the time it hasn't been wired properly on the HU. Pull the HU out and re-wire it to the blue "antenna" wire - not the amp remote wire. Aerial will go up when radio is on and go down when you put on any other source.

If there is a switch under the steering wheel in your car that is not factory fitted.if your talking about the one that is factory fitted that sits in the dash to the left of the steering wheel that is only an option on series tow R33's.

There are some aftermarked units that do not have a seperate remote turn on and antenna wire, such as pioneer units.

old trick I use :laugh:

VP commodore Calais - grab the unit out of that (high in the passenger kick above the ECU) and use that to set height. works on a centre off return rocker switch and you can set it to what ever height you wish.

use a semi auto antenna when you do.

the switch works i just did it. but i have a s2 so i can adjust to down, up or 1/2 now. i dont know about a dial to very the hight because the wire ur talking about it looks like a low voltage wire so probs goes to a relay so changing the voltage or amps wouldn't relay work. ur stuck with all the way up or all the way down. unless u start taking parts of other cars