SAU Community

Newbie Question About Bov

SL33K

i used to drive a r33 GTS non turbo.

looked nice but wasn't as fast as it looked. but was a sweet ride

have been wanting a turbo 33 for long and might be getting a r33 series 2 finally. hopefully by next week. (fingers crossed)

now i am new to this turbo stuff. never had a Turbo car before except for a Pajero lol which i dont think counts

i remember once i was at a traffic light in my r33 GTS and a nice white r33 came next to me and was revvin the shit out of the car. and asking me to rev mine too. lol i smiled back. i dont think he knew mine was a non turbo.

His car sounded sweet. had the woooooossshhh from the bov

the car i have looked at didnt seem to have a bov, or maybe i didnt see it.

Questions

1. Do stock/standard skylines have BOV's?

2. if they do have standard BOV's then what sound do they make? Do they make n e flutter, woosh, or anythin?

3. If it doesnt have a BOV then is it hard to FIT a bov? coz i like the sound

4. Which BOV's are legal? i dont want any illegal shit on the car. What sounds do the legal ones make.

5. Which kind of BOVs are good for the TUrbo? which ones wont damage the turbo/engine ?

If you think i have asked Stupid Questions and think this thread needs to be deleted then dont write shit in it. Just Message a MOD and ask them to delete it.

Remember i am a newbie so its better to ask and learn ... ;)

The search is a good place to Start ;) Meaby go in advance search and select the Topic only option as it give you better search results !

For the RB25det it commes with a stock recirculation or Bypass valve witch vents back the excess air in the Turbo intake tube, right after the AFM. The reason for this is the AFM has already calculated the intaked air. Athmospheric BOv's vent this extra air in the Athmosphere as the name said. This is not good because it can play with your idle when yo shift the car from a gear to another or fall back in neutral. Your stock Bypass valve is great if you want to upgrade get a GTR one, Or any brand name that will plumb back in your intake !! And i think its illegal for you guys in Australia to have it vent to Athmo. correct me if im rong!

Hope this helps you out !

Thanks mate. ;)

so it doesnt make sound with the stock bypass valve?

i did a search already but didnt do it the way u sed with the topic option. let me try.

Thanks for your help bro

Np !

With the stock bypass you hear the noise no probleme at all .... the flutter sound is mostly form the air intake if you have a pod filter .. this occures when the valve does not open and air goes back in the turbine. Again the Stock air box is much better the the pod filter !

Congrats on the purchasse and make sure to take it in for a good tune-up and fluid change !

if your still unsure.....basically

the noisely BOV thats make all the cool sounds are illegal or are not the best for performance.

generally there is a atmosphereic BOV which is generally a round cylinder shape thing and sits on an intake pipe which 1 vacum hose going to it.... when this opens it lets all the excess boost out into your engine bay and as explained ^^^^^^^^^^ it can mess with your idle/fuel mixtures.

the other type is bypass or plumb back... this works the same way except when the valve opens it puts in back into the intake just after the afm (as explained).....

all the turbo skylines iv ever scene in OZ have a standard BOV and with a standard air box will not make much noise....

if u put a pod on it u may here abit more, main reason for this is that car manufactuers have to meet strict noise polution rules and thus have dampeners in the intake to reduce any noises such as this.

there is also many different types of BOV's that make all sorts of sounds.... so best of searching around, there are even a few that you can have plumb back AND atmo.... so u can sound sexy, hit a swtich and it will plumb back for performance.

another thing about vent to atmo BOV's are they destroy you fuel economy (at least on a stock computer anyway)

put one on and expect your economy to half or thereabouts.... Think ive heard of a few people that have never had problems but my R33 and a mates 32 both suffered madly from an atmo bov.

As said the cheapest healthiest option is a pod, i had a stock car and pod setup and wen u accelorate u obveously hear the suction alot more, but wen u back of u also hear the air coming out of it which is a psshh, with no flutter. This is good and sounds nice and all but if ur like me youll take the pod out and put the airbox back in simply because the noise gets fking annoying lol

The r33 (any series) has a stock BOV that doesnt make much noise with the standard airbox but once you slap on a pod filter then you will be able to hear it a bit more....the standard BOV makes the (whooooooosh) noise.....if you want the flutter then just get a coke can cut out to go between the intake pipe and BOV and block it off....it shall give you hectik flutterz brew

Only way to stay legal is to not put any of the GAY aftermarket BOV's on

Edited by Krishy

Something I always say - spend the money you want to spend on a BOV on something ELSE.. you can pick up a Gizzmo mc-ibc for around the same price as the HKS SSQ.

thats a very well said statement.....spend the money for the bov on something better and block the stock bov with coke can lol

pretty much any turbo car made after about 1990 has a factory fitted bov. they were put on to meet the new emissions laws that came in.

i had the stock bov on my 33 and with a pod it was as noisey as anything.

on a side note, when i bought my 180sx i took it for a test drive and it had the stock bov and i said to the guy "you can hear the stock bov pretty well" and his reply was "it doesn't have a bov, that noise is the wastegate".......... i didn't bother correcting him. wasn't worth the effort.