SAU Community

High Water Temp

Wacky Dee

I've had an autogauge electrical gauge installed for water temp for a few weeks now and the temps have never gone above 80 degrees celsius on it. The needle never goes above middle point on the factory cluster gauge either...

However I just plugged in a consult USB cable with nissan datascan today and according to ECU the water temp rose up to 96 degrees today with the weather freezing outside. That was only after a short run on the motorway too ..nothing too crazy (up to 110kmh in 3rd once and thats it) ..as soon as I slowed down the water temp started rising according to ECU and went up to 96..

After a short while driving around it dropped down to 91 ..

To me this sounds waaaaay too high esp due to temps outside, the fact its a < 200rwkw skyline and that I wasn't racing it. Plenty of water/coolant in the radiator.

What is the most likely cause ? ECU water temp sensor faulty ?? I just can't imagine how the autogauge gauge/sensor could be off by 10-15 degrees...AND the dash cluster needle being stuck also.

Or could it be my radiator maybe clogged or something ?? I know it's not leaking but that's about it..

I've had an autogauge electrical gauge installed for water temp for a few weeks now and the temps have never gone above 80 degrees celsius on it. The needle never goes above middle point on the factory cluster gauge either...

However I just plugged in a consult USB cable with nissan datascan today and according to ECU the water temp rose up to 96 degrees today with the weather freezing outside. That was only after a short run on the motorway too ..nothing too crazy (up to 110kmh in 3rd once and thats it) ..as soon as I slowed down the water temp started rising according to ECU and went up to 96..

After a short while driving around it dropped down to 91 ..

To me this sounds waaaaay too high esp due to temps outside, the fact its a < 200rwkw skyline and that I wasn't racing it. Plenty of water/coolant in the radiator.

What is the most likely cause ? ECU water temp sensor faulty ?? I just can't imagine how the autogauge gauge/sensor could be off by 10-15 degrees...AND the dash cluster needle being stuck also.

Or could it be my radiator maybe clogged or something ?? I know it's not leaking but that's about it..

were have you got the gauge hooked up to???

is it spliced into the ecu side of the loom or hard run it from the sensor on the front of the plenum,

also when was the last thermostate done could be due.

i had a temp gauge running from loom on ecu witch is pin 28,my temp was av 38-44deg and hottest i seen was 87deg.

hope that helps :down:

the gauge sensor sits in the top left radiator hose ..about 20cm from the radiator

no idea when the termostat was changed last if ever ...is the nismo thermo worth the extra dough? ($112 delivered from japan) vs $40-50 for the Nissan one? The nismo one apparently opens up 15 degrees sooner at 62celsius vs 76 on the Nissan.

my ecu temp is way too high ..worried it might be the ecu temp sensor that's farked so new themorstat wouldn't do jack shit I think. There's no way in hell the water temps should have gone to 96degrees celsius in today's assfreezing weather after only a 10 min run on the motorway..

By the way I don't have a FMIC so the radiator isn't sucking in hot air..

was just googling around for a nissan oem thermostat ...most places sell the 76.5degrees one for "ALL RB ENGINES" ... well, that doesn't appear to be right. According to kudos motorsport web site, the NEO engine (R34 GTT and others) uses a different thermo, that opens at 82degrees..what the fark. NEO engines like more heat ?!

edit: and looking at the R34 service manual ..it does also state thermostat opening at 82 degrees (fully open at 95) as opposed to 76.5 in all the other skylines.