SAU Community

Sparks Everywhere!

Hey guys, My r33 is going all good. The RB27de rebuild i did has given me an extra 500rpm and the redline.

Anyway its only done 1200km and i just put new oil in today and oil filter

-oil filter and oil done from 0km

- 2nd oil filter and oil done from 100km

- 3rd oil filter and oil done from 1000km (i went over by 200km but the oil looks new in the engine, im just looking after my engine and keeping it fresh till i can put synthetic in at 5000km )

Anyway i went out for a 1 hour drive to get the new oil worked in and such and had my mate in his 300xz behind me. 5 min away from home and the car was running sweet as always i went to 7500RPM in 3rd and backed off as that was enough for one night with my new engine. Get home and my mate is like "I just saw sparks explode from your exhaust and go bouncing all over the road"

Now i checked oil to see if i burn any

:oil didn't go down on dipstick

:Still the same color as it was when it came out the bottle

:And i didn't burn and for sure because my exhaust is polished up and 1cm inside it is and there was not a single bit of carbon on the polished lip its still shiny as.

I didn't have a clue it spat sparks and its still running the same as it has been but im basically wondering what happened here and is it a bad thing or one of those things engines do because they can?

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by central coast person

yeah i would say the cat let go. i had a similar thing happen in my 180sx, except i was just taking off from an intersection and it happened at low rpm, and it was only a small amount of sparks.

if you had happened to hit a bump while giving it the beans then the sparks could've come from the exhaust hitting the ground. mine used to throw sparks if i floored it up a certain street as there was a big dip in the road. you didn't hear it hit the ground at all, but my mates told me it did, and there was scuff marks on the exhaust to match.

i checked with my mate and he said the sparks looked like they were a vortex in the exhaust then shot out so im guessing your right about cat breaking apart, or other thing ive been thinking about is the carbon that built up from 10,000km of driving with 5L of 40w-70 oil coming out the engine every 500km and into the exhaust. All the carbon build up could just be breaking out the exhaust with the new engine???

I also checked and my exhaust exhaust system doesn't have scratches on it so it wouldn't be that. Its stock with a cannon so its got LOADS of potential when i start on the engine mods. Ill get pics and videos of it ASAP

you use 5L of oil in 500km? holy shit!!! didn't the massive clouds of white smoke give you an idea something was wrong? actually if it is burning that much oil it would run like puss. the spark plugs would be constantly fouled. especially since the engine holds less than 5L of oil, so you would be filling up with oil more often than fuel. so unless you top it up every day i'm suprised you didn't seize the engine when it got too low in oil.

Sorry i didnt know if you had seen my other posts about my engine rebuild that i had at the start of the year. The previous owner killed the engine but now its brand new and everything in the engine bay has been reconditioned buy a friend mechanic and i put the engine together with the help of my uncle.

When the engine was bad it chewed up 5L of oil every 500km and the carbon build up in the exhaust system from driving (10,000km of driving with the engine like this) is very thick and i was thinking maybe the new engine was igniting the old carbon.

The new engine hasn't lost a drop of oil in the 1200km and the mechanic bored and honed it with the finest stone so its better than factory. (even from factory engines have small bits of oil the pistons leave behind)

I guess a new exhaust system will fix the problem whether its the cat or carbon

i gathered that you had a new engine, but still. 5L of oil in 500kms would've been as smokey as buggery.

so yes, your cat will probably be extremely blocked. if you want to rule it out the cheap way, pull it out, grab a can of degreaser and go to town on it. also spray a heap back up the front pipe (or drop the front pipe off and give it a good spray out to stop any oil in there just blocking the cat back up again.

have you tried whacking you cat really hard with your fist or something blunt? (sounds really bad aha) let us know if you can hear rattles when you do :P and have you noticed your exhaust sounding any different after this incident?

+1 for youtube vid of this motor

ill check the cat out tomorrow.

Exhaust still sounds same and at the skyline meet tonight we all just agreed it is the new engine cleaning the exhaust system of the old carbon. Its the stock cat so theirs always the chance the cat is old anyway and needs to be changed.

i hit my cat with a hammer after using my fist and then a sump plug key and it didn't make a rattle.

I really want a Kakimoto exhaust system with one of those metal cat and a custom front pipe connected to the set of DKNE extractors waiting in my garage.

.......when year 12 is over ......... whennn year 12 is ovvvvvveeeeeeerrrrr

Edited by central coast person

haha i would probably make 1500 a week at super cheap because going over 32 hours is over time and ill be working for my dads screen printing company on the days im not working so ill be getting about 500 from superheap and 400 from my dad a week and living with my parents ....... AWWW YEAH :D my $12,000 engine list will exist.