SAU Community

Sub Rattle Noise When Mounted

funki_munki

Hey all hopefully some one can help me.

I have a Alpine Type R 12" sub, Cadence FXA 1500 amp (500wrms @ 2ohm), 2ga wiring, Response 1 farad capacitor.

Problem is when i adjust the gain i get a rattle noise coming from the sub but only when its mounted (had to modify a box for it to fit) when the sub is out of the box it doesnt rattle at all. I bought the sub in a alpine enclosure but having a R32 the boot isnt accomidating to the box. Even when i put the sub back into the original alpine box i get the same rattle. I have checked all my cables and they are all fine (well they look fine).

As it works fine out side of the box and if its slightly lifted out of the box is this a sub issue or a box issue. The original box had quite a large port in it but the box i have now has a 4" port and 2x2" ports in it.

All of the parts are brand new and have only just been put into the car over the weekend.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Daniel

Hey all hopefully some one can help me.

I have a Alpine Type R 12" sub, Cadence FXA 1500 amp (500wrms @ 2ohm), 2ga wiring, Response 1 farad capacitor.

Problem is when i adjust the gain i get a rattle noise coming from the sub but only when its mounted (had to modify a box for it to fit) when the sub is out of the box it doesnt rattle at all. I bought the sub in a alpine enclosure but having a R32 the boot isnt accomidating to the box. Even when i put the sub back into the original alpine box i get the same rattle. I have checked all my cables and they are all fine (well they look fine).

As it works fine out side of the box and if its slightly lifted out of the box is this a sub issue or a box issue. The original box had quite a large port in it but the box i have now has a 4" port and 2x2" ports in it.

All of the parts are brand new and have only just been put into the car over the weekend.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Daniel

might be easier to see in person, or photos, you tube to hear it ????

one thing I would guess right off is you dont have the port tuning right on the box to start with, and will destroy the woofer in the end if thats the case ?

porting sounds weird to me, but i'd say you've probably clipped it to death, or over excurted it. take it to your alpine dealer, they'll cut it open and tell you. if its a manufacturing fault, they'll replace it, if you've clipped the asshole out of it, or over driven it, then you have a new paperweight. only way unfortunately.

well it has doing it since day one when i installed it.we tried it in the box it came in which was from alpine and it did the same.it shouldnt be over driven as it can handle 500wrms peak 1000wrms and the amp says it only goes to 500wrms @2 ohm. if it was clipping it should do it when its not in the box? but it doesnt. its really confusing me lol.

if the port tuning was wrong on the box im guessing that could cause it,but it does it in the alpine box it came in?

well if the amp is only 500wrms it'd be easy to clip or underdrive the woofer. like i said, it's only something that can be found by cutting the woofer apart.

and unless the amp is rated 500wrms @ 12v @ 0.005%thd i'd doubt it'd make 500wrms.

Edited by Shiraz200SX

Where abouts are you located mate? if your in adelaide south i can put it through its paces for you and determine a problem with it if any.

Without hearing it personally it sounds like the spider is detaching from the cone, if it did it from day one it could be that the machine that applys the glue missed a spot or something.other than that the only thing that could make that kind of noise would be a problem with the VC,if that was the case it would have probly seised by now.if not it could be your amp introducing the noise.

Have you tryed the sub from another amp or in another car?

EDIT: Oh and 500 rms is more then enough to run the sub. Remember an amp is like a light switch it wont put all its power out as soon as you turn it on. VERY rarely would a sub see full out put from an amp unless your pounding on it consitantly.

And +1 to troys post.

Edited by Jack88