SAU Community

Wheel Studs

Hanaldo

Hey everyone,

So i got my car back from Murphy's Tyre Power in midland about a month ago after getting new tyres, and when i took the car to my mechanic to get some brake work done, it turns out Tyre Power over tightened the nuts, and two of them on the front right wheel have binded, and now the wheel nuts wont stay on and im driving around with 3 wheel nuts. Obviously not an ideal situation. So does anyone know where i can find some replacement studs? Ive been to Repco and Malz and Coventry's, none of them have studs that fit, and i went to Ian Diffen Tyre Factory and they say that im going to have to get some engineered. Anyone know better?

Also, i have no idea what Tyre Power did, but i think they curbed my car driving it into the garage, because i have never ever even come close to a curb or pot-hole or any sort of bump, and when i got my car back from them there was a violent shaking in my steering wheel. I thought that maybe they didnt balance the wheels, so i went to another tyre shop on Wednesday to get it balanced, and they put my front right tyre on the machine, and it was wobbling about something fierce. Turns out there is a flat spot across the whole rim and it needs to be replaced.

So does anyone know if i have a foot to stand on if i accuse Tyre Power and try to get them to pay for the damages? I thought it unlikely as they can just claim that both the dented wheel and the wheel studs were not there doing and are my fault.

Thanks for any help guys, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin

Get something in writing from your mechanic first, then take that to Murphy's, you will certainly have more ground to stand on. Sounds like the studs could be paid for by them however I don't like the chances of your claim in regards to the wheels, alloys bend quite easily and there is little to no hard evidence that they did damage.

Sounds like you went to the wrong Tyrepower! :P

Yeh i heard about that Ecentrix, really dont want the same thing to happen to me!

Ive been to the Repco near me, guy said they dont stock them. Canningvale is a bit far to drive for me

I definitely went to the wrong Tyre Power aye, dont ever go there for anything, they are useless

Unless you have hard undisputable evidence they damaged your wheel, i doubt you will get anything out it.

I would suggest giving them a call and chatting to the boss/owner of the shop though. Be polite, explain the situation and see what it does.

Also, what are the chances the wheel was already damaged? A nice big Perth pothole can damage a rim. If it was originally on the rear you would not have felt the vibration so bad....maybe they rotated the rims around??

My mate in a VE HSV bent 2 rims on a pothole :D

Yeh the boss there is an idiot so im gonna just have to cut my losses and buy a new rim =[

I havent hit a pot-hole or anything while ive owned the car, the previous owner might have done it but it never had the shake before. I have 9.5's on the back and 8.5's on the front, so the most they could have rotated the rims would be left and right, means the shake still would have been there. If i didnt have staggered wheels i would just put it on the back and not worry about it, but wider at the back so cant do it :D

Oh i see.

It was just a suggestion. :P

Yeh thats cool, thanks for that man :)

Turns out its gonna cost me $525 to replace the wheel. Last one left in WA, so noone go and buy a GMax Enigma yeh! Mine :(

I wish i could afford a full set of new wheels, but according to my years of maths education, $525 is less than $3000 :P

get a secondhand hub, smash it out and smash it back in. - for wheel studs.

or as above nissan would have em, be pricey tho.

otherwise, auto1, repco etc should have em. these are cheaper, but theyre universal. and i have heard of people having trouble getting em in.

Ok.. it will cost you 16 buks.. and 2 hours...

Go to NIssan in ossy park.

ask for studs and nuts.. 2 +2

then use ur hands and a wheel brace the spanner to take off ur nuts. No pun intended . If they dont come off easy just strip the head they will twist off..

next take off the whole wheel..

and the too bolts that hold the break caliper on ..

and take off the hub,, _ take off the handbreak.. in the cabin.. so its off.. then get 2 m6 bolts with long thred and put them in the two holes tighten and vola..

next remove the hand break spring and detach the handbreak break..

nock out the old studs with the new ones turnd arround.. or a nother old bolt..

and put in the new stud from behind. then place two loose nuts on to the studd and then the new wheel nut on and tighten this will get the nut set in..

now do the reverce and you are set to go..

thanx mate.. i was going to get a place to do this for me till i google replace wheel nut..

Ok.. it will cost you 16 buks.. and 2 hours...

Go to NIssan in ossy park.

ask for studs and nuts.. 2 +2

then use ur hands and a wheel brace the spanner to take off ur nuts. No pun intended . If they dont come off easy just strip the head they will twist off..

next take off the whole wheel..

and the too bolts that hold the break caliper on ..

and take off the hub,, _ take off the handbreak.. in the cabin.. so its off.. then get 2 m6 bolts with long thred and put them in the two holes tighten and vola..

next remove the hand break spring and detach the handbreak break..

nock out the old studs with the new ones turnd arround.. or a nother old bolt..

and put in the new stud from behind. then place two loose nuts on to the studd and then the new wheel nut on and tighten this will get the nut set in..

now do the reverce and you are set to go..

thanx mate.. i was going to get a place to do this for me till i google replace wheel nut..

Wow, thanks for that mate... Turns out im gonna take it to a mechanic. Lol. Nah i dunno yet, i was going to have a crack at it myself, but i dunno about messing with the handbrake springs etc... How much harder is it to do this compared to something like changing brake pads?

Thanks again for the info guys, i might drive down to Nissan tomorrow after uni and get the studs

Mate if ya want bring it over im sure threre are heaps of guys that will give ya a hand.. iv done it my self ... and it took a couple of min work it out but yea..

Cheers for the offer mate, i enjoy trying to do things myself, learn something new. Ill be careful and if i cant figure it out then ill ask around to see if anyone wants to give me a hand.

Just another question, does anyone know about these thread repair kits? Ive seen some in Malz, i thought maybe they would work instead of replacing the stud? I would rather replace the stud, but i phoned two Nissan's, three wreckers and all the automotive shops that are near me, and none of them have these damn wheel studs, its a real pain in the ass.

Cheers for your help everyone