SAU Community

Strut Tower Rust

RBPOWA-(TJ)

hey mate I have a similar issue ..very bad rust in the same spot on my R34 and it's been cut and bogged before but rust came back so i've just got new top plates (clean towers cut off a wrecked R33)

Do you know what you guy did .. did he remove the original top plates and then treat the area and then weld new top plates on? what did he use to rust proof the bottom plate before welding on new top plates ?

I'm taking it back to the same panel beater that did the dodgy bog job on mine as he's charging me less this time (only $400) but this time to take the original top plates and do it properly. But if the rust ever comes back I'm gonna f**king cry.

Don't know what to do .. what to use to protect the bottom plate once the tops are off because the welding heat will probably melt any rust proofing

• 3 weeks later...

yeah its no good this rust!! I will be going to a few bodyshops shortly to get some quotes, I have pealed back some of the top skin to see how bad it is, there are no holes it just seems to be the upper skin not the tower it self,

It must be a pretty big problem as half the stagea's down here have rust bubbles around the tower