SAU Community

My 1994 Mx5 Clubman

evil_weevil

Hi guys n gals!

Thought I'd put a thread up of my nugget here!

Just a bit of a background....I had a 254rwkw R33 gtst for over 3 years, was just getting a bit costly for me to run at the track etc while Ive got a wedding coming up. So after 6 months of looking for a cheaper replacement, I found the mx5 up in QLD.

The car was built and logged as a CAMS 2F race car.

Can be eligable for FOSC, Prod Sports, MX5 challenge, etc

(I'll hopefully be doing MRA and MX5 challenge in 2010)

I havent done too much since buying it, but previous owner bought it stock standard and stripped it and caged it and log booked it!

He raced it for over a year up in QLD, but got into money issues and needed to sell. And I needed to buy :)

So...

Its a 1994 MX5 NA8 Clubman.

Mods when I bought it...

6 point cage

sparco drivers seat with 5 pt harness

daytona passenger seat with sparco 3 pt harness

TEIN Flex coil overs

Whiteline front sway bar

Some a/market caster and camber bushes etc

Brake master cylinder brace

stripped interior

CAMS approved tow hooks and kill switch

Braided brake and clutch lines

Toyo R888 semi's

2634_61457521075_536561075_2038505_7940437_n.jpg

A shot just after I bought it.

Got it engineered down here in NSW through Greg and Brad @ autosport engineering - big thumbs up there!!!!

Since I have owned it, I have added....

MX5Mania cold air induction - can see it in engine bay shot.

4823_104304871075_536561075_2584137_2048067_n.jpg

(s13deviats s13 in background!)

Full exhaust system,

4-2-1 extractors, high flow cat and 2.5" cat back exhaust

advanced timing from 10degrees to 14 degress.

Also added RDA slotted rotors with QFM A1RM pads

Just Jap shift light

So far times I have done...

Round 2 SSCC interclub supersprint March 8th - OP GP

1.30.4 - first in class 2B

Round 3 SSCC interclub supersprint May 17th - OP South

55.2 - first in class 2B

Round 4 - SSCC interclub supersprint June 7th - Wakefeild

1.15.1 - first in class 2B

Round 5 - didnt race as was flagging - Wakefield

Round 6 - SSCC interclub supersprint August 2nd - OP GP

1.27.2 - 1st in class - 2B

Round 7 - SSCC interclub sprint 13th september

54.2 - 1st in class

Round 8 - SSCC interclub sprint 18th October

2.00.4 - 1st in class

Car prob makes around 70-80rwkw! It has pretty good corner speed, just lacks straight line speed LOL

Plans for next year are cams and an ECU - can net upto 100rwkw - while its not MASSIVE power, it helps in a lighter car!

Anyhoo, a few pics from some track days,

5896_119503661075_536561075_2842498_7324786_n.jpg

5896_122263676075_536561075_2885930_2828140_n.jpg

4844_103902701075_536561075_2575155_603833_n.jpg

5494_244671285523_897505523_8134742_6230463_n.jpg

While its not going to set any world records, its a fkn fun car to drive, and will teach me alot about driving @ the track, and set me up for later races and door to door!

Here is a vid from our SAU NSW OP GP day

Thanks for reading,

I'll update as I go :)

Cheers,

Chris

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

faaark mate you are so smooth......and its so quiet. wish it was as easy as you make it look.

Hi guys n gals!

Thought I'd put a thread up of my nugget here!

Just a bit of a background....I had a 254rwkw R33 gtst for over 3 years, was just getting a bit costly for me to run at the track etc while Ive got a wedding coming up. So after 6 months of looking for a cheaper replacement, I found the mx5 up in QLD.

The car was built and logged as a CAMS 2F race car.

Can be eligable for FOSC, Prod Sports, MX5 challenge, etc

(I'll hopefully be doing MRA and MX5 challenge in 2010)

I havent done too much since buying it, but previous owner bought it stock standard and stripped it and caged it and log booked it!

He raced it for over a year up in QLD, but got into money issues and needed to sell. And I needed to buy :P

So...

Its a 1994 MX5 NA8 Clubman.

Mods when I bought it...

6 point cage

sparco drivers seat with 5 pt harness

daytona passenger seat with sparco 3 pt harness

TEIN Flex coil overs

Whiteline front sway bar

Some a/market caster and camber bushes etc

Brake master cylinder brace

stripped interior

CAMS approved tow hooks and kill switch

Braided brake and clutch lines

Toyo R888 semi's

2634_61457521075_536561075_2038505_7940437_n.jpg

A shot just after I bought it.

Got it engineered down here in NSW through Greg and Brad @ autosport engineering - big thumbs up there!!!!

Since I have owned it, I have added....

MX5Mania cold air induction - can see it in engine bay shot.

4823_104304871075_536561075_2584137_2048067_n.jpg

(s13deviats s13 in background!)

Full exhaust system,

4-2-1 extractors, high flow cat and 2.5" cat back exhaust

advanced timing from 10degrees to 14 degress.

Also added RDA slotted rotors with QFM A1RM pads

Just Jap shift light

So far times I have done...

Round 2 SSCC interclub supersprint March 8th - OP GP

1.30.4 - first in class 2B

Round 3 SSCC interclub supersprint May 17th - OP South

55.2 - first in class 2B

Round 4 - SSCC interclub supersprint June 7th - Wakefeild

1.15.1 - first in class 2B

Round 5 - didnt race as was flagging - Wakefield

Round 6 - SSCC interclub supersprint August 2nd - OP GP

1.27.2 - second in class - 2B

next round is 13th September @ OP South.

Car prob makes around 70-80rwkw! It has pretty good corner speed, just lacks straight line speed LOL

Plans for next year are cams and an ECU - can net upto 100rwkw - while its not MASSIVE power, it helps in a lighter car!

Anyhoo, a few pics from some track days,

5896_119503661075_536561075_2842498_7324786_n.jpg

5896_122263676075_536561075_2885930_2828140_n.jpg

4844_103902701075_536561075_2575155_603833_n.jpg

5494_244671285523_897505523_8134742_6230463_n.jpg

While its not going to set any world records, its a fkn fun car to drive, and will teach me alot about driving @ the track, and set me up for later races and door to door!

Here is a vid from our SAU NSW OP GP day

Thanks for reading,

I'll update as I go :down:

Cheers,

Chris

Is it possible to pull more weight out of the car while keeping it registered or is it pretty much bare bones as it is?

Have you considered playing with the diff ratio to gain some acceleration down the straight or is it already running a bit short on gears at OPGP and EC?

How are you finding the r888's out of interest? I wasn't particularly impressed with mine and will be going back to re55's for the next set.

This thing looks even nicer in the flesh.

With those lap times it just proves that you do not need buckets of power if your weight is kept down and with good set up you can make up the time in the twisty bits.

Is it the 1.6 or the 1.8 motor? The 1.8 produces more mid range torgue and an engine swap could be an easy power upgrade.

Stu - cheers mate! its smooth because it cant spin the wheels on exit :) although today I had issues.. LOL

Matt - thanks mate - when they are clean, it looks awesome, but I jhave been lazy lately and havent cleaned my wheels...so they are filthy with bucket loads of brake dust built up....next time I put my street tyres on i'll clean the track rims real good!!

Dave - Sup! Interesting... I was at OP south today and was on my old r888's that came with the car...they have 10-20% tread left....funny thing is I did a PB with them over last time, when I had dunlop direzza's on with about 60% tread left...dont know if its because I was driving harder and getting used to the car now? dont know! Reason I had to go back to the old r888's is because I had a major flat spot

heres a small vid of lock up (this was one of 3!! lol)

(thats ando's voice in it lol)

with the weight - I could take some more of dash out, door trims, power windows etc, but then it would be out of the 2F class it was built for, and I plan on racing in that class next year.

diff ratio - good question - havent looked into it! I know it has been changed.....hmm...better go find my folder from prev owner with all details on it!!!

Charles - Hows it going mate!?!? cheers !

I did a PB today @ OP South but unsure if I got class win....fingers crossed!! lol

Exactly - I was all over a WRX today, but as soon as he got to the straight, he took off....end of turn 1, I was on him again and being a supersprint..I didnt want to make any big moves under brakes lol

Will post up as soon as Natsoft is updated!

Finally natsoft times are up,

smanaged a 54.2 @ OP south on sunday, came first in class 2B.

So considering I have about 10-20% tread left on my semi's, to take a second off is a pretty good effort!! w000t

Oh, and last month @ OP GP, turns out I came first in class - there was an error with the timing with the Clio Sport

• 3 weeks later...

You making an appearence at the BLCC speed weekend Chubbu? Thinking I might be having my first experience of going round corners fast in my GTR.... Want to see me spin in the Chase from behind?

LOL

Id love to mate but our car club - SSCC is havings its presso night the sat night, Im thinking I may do just the saturdays supersprint - it'll be slower than my old 33, but might do better in the class!

yes, enter the GTR, you have done your few years @ flagging!

get out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Raced at EC yesterday - was a bit worried as its long track with alot of straights, and I dont have much power

Made it up under brakes and the corner speed. Alot I can improve on!

Managed a 2.00.44 which for my first time in the MX5 @ EC, Im happy! plenty more in it, just need seat time!

Cheers Simon!

Yeah I think Im going to paint them black first of all!

Oh, and I have decided to take it a notch up in racing, I have entered the last MRA (www.motorracingaustralia.com.au) at Oran Park on sat december the 12th with the mx5 challenge. My first ever real grid race - door to door!!