SAU Community

Driving Highlights In Perth?

Tony de Wonderful

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a road down south near bridgetown that has the speed sign with a circle with a line thru it...

meaning open speed limit...

now that was a FUN yet legal spirited drive :ph34r:

Just so everyone knows that open speed limit in WA is still 110Km/h

^^ Yup, the "open speed limit" signs just mean you can do up to the state limit, which as stated, is 110km/h.

There used to be one on the way to Barbagello's but not anymore.

So does that also work the other way around, like you can drive around like a total granny doing 60km/h or so? Where normally you are not suppose to drive >20km/h under the limit (well that's what the driving test dude told me anyway...).

Why don't they just chuck a 110km/h sign instead?

Edited by Mayuri Krab

o really?

thanks for the heads up... if thats the case I was still legal... =)

the road was extremely windy and small though... Not to mention trees either side. You would have to be really pushing it hard to get it up and over 110kmh.

why dont they just put a 110kmh sign there? or whatever speed that they decide to put up there?

Edited by br3ndan

They are basically saying "we don't know what a good limit for this road is and wouldn't be bothered to find out so do whatever u like" similar to those yellow signs on on and off ramps, they are just serving suggestions.

Lol so you went bizerk and drove over 110kmh thinking it was legal.

bravo :P

Where did i say anywhere i went over 110kmh?

I simply said i had a fun spirited drive. Depending how the road (Bends etc) is and other factors such as road condition and time of the day/night... spirited drives do not have to be over 110kmh... or even 100kmh...

Edited by br3ndan

if you see one of these signs in say NT then you can go as fast as you like unless they have changed it since (someone in NT correct me)... most of those signs are being replaced as i have seen a few myself on country roads as the signs were used back when cars would not go quite so quick :P

Where did i say anywhere i went over 110kmh?

I simply said i had a fun spirited drive. Depending how the road (Bends etc) is and other factors such as road condition and time of the day/night... spirited drives do not have to be over 110kmh... or even 100kmh...

What ever you say buddy :P

if you see one of these signs in say NT then you can go as fast as you like unless they have changed it since (someone in NT correct me)... most of those signs are being replaced as i have seen a few myself on country roads as the signs were used back when cars would not go quite so quick :P

Pretty sure they removed the open speed limit and set it to 130.

yep NT is now 130km/h limited. I believe that the road toll increased after they did this...fantastic effort there.

Only non limited roads are those not gazetted public roads or accessible by the public. They are the only truly unlimited speed roads (i.e. private tracks).

Back on topic I find the best roads are those unknown ones in the middle of nowhere. There's no one that sticks in my mind mainly because I don't bother reading what road I'm on but there have been some great roads, they're just not necessarily the main roads. The back roads are where it's at where you can enjoy your car within the speed limit.

Back on topic I find the best roads are those unknown ones in the middle of nowhere. There's no one that sticks in my mind mainly because I don't bother reading what road I'm on but there have been some great roads, they're just not necessarily the main roads. The back roads are where it's at where you can enjoy your car within the speed limit.

+1

Many a road ive been been on out serpentine or past brookton way that i cannot remember the name, but the twists and winds in the road are so enjoyable you dont mind the speed limitation and just enjoy the feel of the car on the road.

One of my personal favourites. Nettleton Rd, (just before the Petrol station as you coming out of Byford heading south on Great Western Highway) follow it till it hits Jarrahdale Road then west till you hit Great Western Again. Ups downs, lefts rights, ins outs, and slow downs and speed up's....just how my R likes it :P

mmm +1 for the mundaring weir road. mega fun road right there... don't have to speed but it helps.

another one - if anyone is ever out the york way just for a nice little drive, head towards beverly. just nearing beverly is top road beverly. no speed limit, very undulating, good road quality, can see ahead for quite a bit, nice view from the hill crests, and the shit is awesome... and i have never seen authority out there. ever.

also, take aldersyde road off mundaring weir road and it's incredible stuff. follow it out to pingelly and whatnot.

good driving roads are in the country boys and girls!!

also, toodyay road's a pretty good cruising road. turn right before toodyay town and head towards northam, chuck a right into katrine road there. 12km of shear riverside driving pleasure... road is a tiny bit harsh in some areas, but in a car with tein super drifts (that haven't been fulcrum-specced) i managed to stay comfy the whole way through. and, 110 feels prreeeetty damn fast in many areas. i remember taking my little old subi wagon through there at 130. RUSH. especially for that old girl.

anyways... just a few i know of. can't imagine how shit this world would be without awesome roads to stomp.

and, someone was talking about fauntleroy avenue before? that's a straight section of road. how can you have fun on tha.... oooohhhhh. i get it now.

Edited by Dorigecko

+1!! Haven't driven it myself, but went with a friend in his VR4 Galant (twin turbo v6 - like a fat evo) at a 'moderate' pace... and... well... yeah... big PLUS ONE

I'll have to try it out.

Probably find a cop w/ a radar gun when I go up there now. :P

Not that I would entertain the notion of breaching our wonderful and wise speed limits of course!

The speed limit in the NT was changed a few years ago after some dudes in a Fezza crashed their car and killed one of the Gumball Rally(?) marshals on one of the ONLY corners/bends on the entire stretch of road that was raced on. Was from memory a Fezza F40, the guys driving it (doctors I think they were) survived it but they changed the speed limit shortly after that if memory serves...

As for roads I enjoy driving on, South West Highway is a bloody nice drive :ph34r: Also Caves Road along the south west coast, REALLY nice to drive down there. (I know I know, they aren't really in Perth :happy: )

Edited by stormtrooper

As for roads I enjoy driving on, South West Highway is a bloody nice drive :) Also Caves Road along the south west coast, REALLY nice to drive down there. (I know I know, they aren't really in Perth :) )

+1

The new Perth-bunbury extension???????

3931415475_60fa35f063.jpg

at least its a leisurely drive..or will be.

but for a real drive there's a road near bridgetown heading west towards another town that goes every which way. lots of bike clubs go along it. did it early last year in my old bunky wishing i took the coupe instead!

Edited by dodgsun