SAU Community

Nistune Daughterboards For 33gtst Only

Dorifta

i thought this thread needed to be started as the 33gtst seems to be the least common for the nistune daughterboard

looking for info and the lengths involved in running the cheapest form of tuning, nistune daughterboards, whos done it

They say only option is to run the z32 ecu with daughterboard,

Does it fire straight up, what are the pro, cons and obvious;y the headaches involved

no you cannot put a nistune into a r33 ecu. you can put it into a r32 and some r34 ecu's but not the 33. the 2 options with a 33 as far as nistune go are the z32 ecu or a r32 ecu. r32 ecu will fire straight up but you lose the VCT. z32 requires a few wires to be swapped (about 6 from memory) as some of the injectors or ignition signals are in different spots on the loom and you have to double up the o2 sensors. but once that is the z32 ecu will run the car if you also have a z32 afm on it as well. if you have the stock ecu it wouldn't be safe to run it (if it runs at all).

with either ecu you would drive it to the tuners with the stock ecu in then let them plug the ecu in when they are ready to tune. if going the z32 ecu option you could just have the wires precut and just joined back together in the stock locations with some joiners so all they have to do is unplug them and plug them into the right locations when the new ecu gets put in.

the only option that uses the stock r33 ecu is adding in an eprom chip which isn't as quick for tuning as you have to use an emulator and can't just update the tune whenever you like by simply plugging in a laptop.

I do a few each week now, I always use Z32 ECUs and yes they do start without trouble.

My r33 s2 has had the z32 ecu installed. Since then it has a stutter off idle. Say when you on/off stab the throttle for instance when downshifting or taking off etc. I asked the tuner about this and was informed it has something to do with how the z32 tps functions??? Have you come across anything like this????? ... its doing my head in, just quietly.

I do a few each week now, I always use Z32 ECUs and yes they do start without trouble.

does daughter board get wired into the z32 ecu or does it get wired alongside it,

u guys sell the daughterboards and solder/wire them in, or oustource that part and just provide tuning

info would be great, thanks

does daughter board get wired into the z32 ecu or does it get wired alongside it,

u guys sell the daughterboards and solder/wire them in, or oustource that part and just provide tuning

info would be great, thanks

www.nistune.com All the info you need.

i just got my z32 ecu and got a nistune board with base map installed, i also have tps problem, although i havnt had it tuned yet.

ok so the ecu is connected to the nistune software and i comes up with a TPS error code. it seems to be telling the care to idle between 1v and 1.5v. and it should b around .5v right?

so when taking it for a spin as soon as the TPS hits 1v it cuts out, lol so i disconnected the TPS and now it runs fine??? i found that very interesting. as long as i can get it to Shaun at Boostworx im sure he can sort it out... i hope.

and by the way i didnt rewire anything in my loom, pluged it straigt in. since the 33 has batch injection.

any tips :D

Adam - you are using a test ENT file that I provided to Pete. It should be TPS idle < 1 volt and then use the fuel maps above this. However 1 volt was a starting point, after some discussion tonight about 0.9 volts should be used. Suspect that the TPS trigger may be backwards hence the problem. I'll retest the firmware changes and probably get Pete to recheck on Monday. Unplugging TPS makes the car drivable in the interim

In regards to R33 daughterboards, as per the picture:

r33_ecu_daughterboard.jpg

This is a Techtom daughterboard installed into an R33 ECU. The main 84 pin MPU is removed and a 84 pin transition socket is fitted to the ECU. Then carefully the board fits into the 84 pins on the transition socket and the MCU is plugged into this daughterboard. The daughterboards are very expensive and emulators used to tune the ECU and then an EPROM chip is burnt afterwards

Workarounds to this is like Toshi does - use the board to tune and then remove the original MCU and reprogram a blank MCU with the tuned maps. The blanks are about $80-$90AUD each and burn once then throw away jobs. An EPROM to MCU adaptor is used to program these PROM MCUs

Making a Nistune equivalent with 32KB NVsRAM is no easy task. The transition sockets alone are very expensive and require expert installation to fit to the ECU. On top of that is reverse engineering the existing operation (which I kinda got sussed) but then there is the design effort, mulitple logic chpis and the effort in putting a prototype together. The consult speed is slower (less buffering) and sync and cell change speeds may be affected.

This is not an installation process which most workshops would be able to do, even EPROM boards which I've fitted for dr drift have experienced problems and after checking all connections, something like a single coil etc shown not to work due to track problem on the board or even a pin not connecting properly on the MCU to the socket. Its not reliable and very difficult from a support point of view

The Z32 ECU works well, and even skimping on swapping injector lines not not appear to impact the running of the vehicle. The TPS transition from idle to fuel map is something we are making configurable for completeness with this type of install

Edited by darkhalf

nistune would be perfect if you could do away with the afm's and run a map sensor

Whats wrong with using the AFMs? We did quite a bit of research on moving to MAP sensors and concluded its just not worth the effort, especially given the problems experienced by those with those who do use MAP sensors. AFMs will always have an accurate measurement, no retuning required, even after intake and exhaust modifications and can be enlarged beyond Z32 AFM to Ford Cobra/Lightning versions for higher HP readings

The Z32 ECU works well, and even skimping on swapping injector lines not not appear to impact the running of the vehicle. The TPS transition from idle to fuel map is something we are making configurable for completeness with this type of install

So i can get a Z32 ecu plug it in and run it the same as an r33 ecu, is it one of those things where its just good to limp it to the tuner or can i drive it like normal, are there any problems with the injectors (z32 V r33) or the afm?

if the Z32 ECU has a board loaded with R33 maps then I've had feedback that the maps which I've grafted into the R33 image are sufficient to get the vehicle driven to the tuner.

I've grafted in the R33 injectors and VQ (AFM) map as well as fuel and timing maps onto the board so those things arent a problem

I was going to order an rb20det ecu today because the Z32 looked liked it had too many issues. What things would I have to worry about if i used the Z32 ecu? Changing over the 6 wires is easy as and dosn't bother me. Seams like the TPS issue is also sorted? What about engine temp correction I read some where the Z32 does this via fuel temp and wont add more fuel if used for the rb25. Am I then better off using the RB20 ecu and hooking up a VCT controller?

Im very happy with Nistune, been running it in my 33 Gtst S1 for 10 months now. Using the Z32 ECU, no problem soldering it yourself if you have some basic knowledge about soldering.

Fired straight up, of course after sorting the cable changes that is required. Tuned by myself (own a tuningshop in sweden) and have had great success so far in dragraces against similar basic modded cars. Have got faulty coilpacks for the moment so i havent had time to dyno it yet.

Ill put Nistune to the test the coming months since i've got a forged RB30/26 build on the go, running twin's and E85 through 1600cc's :D

like i said before i have the z32 ecu, the tps is now sorted, although the car seems to idle fairly low, drops to 500rpm every now n then, still hasnt been tuned, have to wait till the 21st. so just running the base maps.

and you dont have to re-wire or solder anything. i just pluged in the z32 ecu with the nistune and r33 base map and started my car. so far no problems.

ive had a look throught the 2 ecu pinouts and the only difference is the power steering, which is on pin 19 for one and 34 on the other. ill check with my tuner to c if i should change them around, but i havnt lost my powersteering even with them not connected.

ofcourse ther are other differences, but where one ecu has a pin or a wire the other has nothing there.if u get my drift. so u never have the wrong connections.

well this is the case for me anyways.