SAU Community

Bang For Buck Tyres.

KezR33

my experience: nexen n3000: unbelievable grip cold or hot... and only about $130each traction rated at AA and also temp is rated at AA i think

another is khumo ecsta very similar.... $130 each fitted as well

these prices were for 215/45/17's

obviously 18's will be more pricey

As has been stated Falken RT615's are like the KU36's and Federal 595's

They are designed to be a high performance road tyre, not a semi slick.

Falken have two semi slicks, the RT215 and the RS-V04 which both have a lot more grip.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been stated Falken RT615's are like the KU36's and Federal 595's

They are designed to be a high performance road tyre, not a semi slick.

Falken have two semi slicks, the RT215 and the RS-V04 which both have a lot more grip.

The RT615 replaces the RT215 IIRC... both are an S compound "semi"

The RT615 replaces the RT215 IIRC... both are an S compound "semi"

Not quite, the RT615 is really a good street tyre, the RT215 is a proper semi slick.

I know that Tempe Tyres still sell both, the RT 215 is a much softer compound with a lower tread wear rating and bigger tread blocks.

The RS-V04 is stickier again.

Not quite, the RT615 is really a good street tyre, the RT215 is a proper semi slick.

No, Ryan was right the first time. The RT615 supercedes the RT215.

I know that Tempe Tyres still sell both, the RT 215 is a much softer compound with a lower tread wear rating and bigger tread blocks.

The RT215s have a Treadwear of 180. The RT615s have a Treadwear of 200. It's not "much softer". And since the tyres have been discontinued for quite some time, the RT215s Tempe is selling will be old.

The RS-V04 is stickier again.

And also not road legal in Australia. I used to run a set, and it took me a few months to notice that they have no European nor US DOT markings on them.

They are also, to my knowledge, discontinued. Falken hasn't advertised them on their Japan nor US web sites for a few years.

No, Ryan was right the first time. The RT615 supercedes the RT215.

The RT215s have a Treadwear of 180. The RT615s have a Treadwear of 200. It's not "much softer". And since the tyres have been discontinued for quite some time, the RT215s Tempe is selling will be old.

And also not road legal in Australia. I used to run a set, and it took me a few months to notice that they have no European nor US DOT markings on them.

They are also, to my knowledge, discontinued. Falken hasn't advertised them on their Japan nor US web sites for a few years.

Thankyou.

I know the RT215 was seen to be a better weekend tyre than the RT625 but I am guessing the RT615 was made to be the way it is for a reason that suits Falken and possibly the market they are aiming it at.

The tyres I currently have on my car read: 225/40 R18 on the front, and 255/35 R18 on the rear.

The KU36 has the front size perfectly, but only 245/40 R18, or 265/35 R18 for the rear.

Once again, excuse my noobishness, I have been doing some reading but it is difficult to find decent information as most of what google finds are short tidbits of information given out by companies trying to sell to you.

Is there only one size of tyre that fits each size of rim, or can tyres be stretched/compressed or rolled differently so you have different sidewall height etc?

Also, if tyres can be stretched etc, it can be assumed that the readings on the tyres may not be the best for my rim anyway. Finding the width is any enough, but how do you work out what kind of sidewall you want?

Thanks again.

Edit: I just measured with a ruler, they're 10.5 inches on the back (265) and 9.5 (240) on the front. I think I'm answering my own questions here. So would my best option be the 245/40 R18 on the front and 265/35 R18 on the back? Thanks.

I ran the KU36 on my Supra, 245/40 front and 275/35 R18 rear. The rear gaurds needed slight lipping to clear them on my 9.5" rims - can't remember the offset. I was prety happy with them even on the track - they were surprisingly good actually.

You can't beat the KU36 for bang for buck as a combination street/track tyre. I also have them on my Legnum daily driver and they're wearing well on it.

Nice infos here but on a side note anyone has any recommendation if you factor in noise? I'm looking at getting new tyres for the missus' beelte. Been reading on the RE001 and apparently they're not very good on wet (dont know how the driver drives though). I'm thinking of KU31 or the Esta KU31? But which would have the best compromise for noise/wear(>30000km)/grip(wet/dry)? Looking at 215/45/17.

I'm currently having RE050A on mine and love it. The bit that turns me off is the price tag. But if all else fail, I might have to op for it.

Hi There!

This is Shanilee!

Im new in this site!

I hope I can have more friends here!

I'd consider these as well as the KU36s. Don't bother with RT615s; they cost more and I don't know if they perform noticably better.

Thanks!

Have a nice day to all!

Good Luck!...

Car Sale Hub

Boston Used Cars

Edited by shanilee

Nice infos here but on a side note anyone has any recommendation if you factor in noise? I'm looking at getting new tyres for the missus' beelte. Been reading on the RE001 and apparently they're not very good on wet (dont know how the driver drives though). I'm thinking of KU31 or the Esta KU31? But which would have the best compromise for noise/wear(>30000km)/grip(wet/dry)? Looking at 215/45/17.

I'm currently having RE050A on mine and love it. The bit that turns me off is the price tag. But if all else fail, I might have to op for it.

RE001 is an incredible tyre in the wet... Who told you they weren't? I bought them for that purpose.

I know the RT215 was seen to be a better weekend tyre than the RT625 but I am guessing the RT615 was made to be the way it is for a reason that suits Falken and possibly the market they are aiming it at.

I'm not sure what market they were aimed at.

My last 3 sets of tyres were:

RT215 (245 width rear) -> FK452 (285 width rear) -> RT615 (275 width rear).

The RT615s are comparatively rubbish as a street tyre. I don't think that there's that much more outright grip out of them than the FK452s (I haven't driven them hard for long enough to compare overheating points) but I remember how loose the car felt when I went from the RT215 to the FK452s, despite the noticably wider footprint.

To be fair, it could have been a specific batch of bad tyres though. A mate of mine got RT615s about the same time I did, and he replaced them recently. He said his new set are noticably grippier. I'm still reluctant to replace these RT615s with another set, given my current experiences, though.

I'm considering just putting KU36's on the front of my car for the time being, is this a bad idea?

Main reason is the front right tyre is pretty much unroadworthy, I'm low on funds and I'm headed to Deca soon. I figure I may as well shred the old tyres up at DECA and replace them shortly after.

Is there any complications I might encounter having high performance road tyres on the front and average tyres on the rear?

Thanks.

I'm considering just putting KU36's on the front of my car for the time being, is this a bad idea?

Main reason is the front right tyre is pretty much unroadworthy, I'm low on funds and I'm headed to Deca soon. I figure I may as well shred the old tyres up at DECA and replace them shortly after.

Is there any complications I might encounter having high performance road tyres on the front and average tyres on the rear?

Thanks.

oversteer

considering the rears will wear quicker anyway(most likely, based on most sports RWD car owners driving styles), it might work out okay. just do it IMO. better than having no turn in and having an accident due to bald front tyres.

oversteer

considering the rears will wear quicker anyway(most likely, based on most sports RWD car owners driving styles), it might work out okay. just do it IMO. better than having no turn in and having an accident due to bald front tyres.

Cheers mate, might actually combat the understeer I suffer from already!

• 2 weeks later...

i got the ku31s on missus accord ..beautiful smooth & quiet tyre.. maybe a bit soft..but good

i got the ku31s on missus accord ..beautiful smooth & quiet tyre.. maybe a bit soft..but good

wouldnt bother with KU36's with just skidpan, NEED heat badly. the only other real bang for buck tyre i can think of is the Direzza Z1 Star Spec, but once again, really does better with heat (not as bad as the KU36 tho)

Edit: I just measured with a ruler, they're 10.5 inches on the back (265) and 9.5 (240) on the front. I think I'm answering my own questions here. So would my best option be the 245/40 R18 on the front and 265/35 R18 on the back? Thanks.

lip to lip, or bead seat to bead seat?