SAU Community

Recording Police Conversations

Astro Bear

sounds like a good investment eh? voice recorders aren't all that expensive these days.

but frankly, till now i've never been pulled over before. but it helps to be prepared, since there's so many horror stories floating around.

Don't let the horror stories scare you too much. It is a bitch when it happens, but do remember that the bad get reported 10 times more often and faster than the good. Nobody speaks up when things go the way they're meant to :(

Yep that way you can be charged with using a mobile while driving too :(

Hahaha I was going to say, "I wasn't talking on my phone officer, I plan to use this to record our conversation that we're currently having" probably won't go down well either which way you look at it.

If I pull over legally and remove my phone from it's legal cradle or concealed centre console location and begin recording what can they do ?! :( Nothin', I have just done what you are legally required to do in order to use a mobile phone without hands free in a car... pull over, apply handbrake, etc. The first thing I do when a cop pulls me over is turn the engine off, so the car isn't even running!

In addition to all this, how is operating a phone any different from operating a dictaphone or other recorder, especially if the car is stationary/parked, and even turned off?

If I pull over legally and remove my phone from it's legal cradle or concealed centre console location and begin recording what can they do ?! :) Nothin', I have just done what you are legally required to do in order to use a mobile phone without hands free in a car... pull over, apply handbrake, etc. The first thing I do when a cop pulls me over is turn the engine off, so the car isn't even running!

In addition to all this, how is operating a phone any different from operating a dictaphone or other recorder, especially if the car is stationary/parked, and even turned off?

wow, are you really planning to do this?? your crazy, such a rebel!

If I pull over legally and remove my phone from it's legal cradle or concealed centre console location and begin recording what can they do ?! :) Nothin', I have just done what you are legally required to do in order to use a mobile phone without hands free in a car... pull over, apply handbrake, etc. The first thing I do when a cop pulls me over is turn the engine off, so the car isn't even running!

That's the problem with these laws though man, they are not well thought out at all. They have made it so that these laws need to be interpreted down to the finest loophole and the police...let alone average Joe...will have trouble understanding them and what constitutes breaking the law. It's bullshit and I foresee many amendments in the future.

I imagine safe would have you turn off the car's ignition and then being able to use your mobile phone.

Always worth recording it, just 'in case'.. if it all goes wrong then you have something to back you up. Best method is turning it on as soon as you're pulled over and putting it in your pocket, if you are asked to exit the vehicle and pop your hood then you are still in audible distance of your phone.

Actually I have a recording somewhere from the time I was pulled over and told "it's nothing personal, its just this type of car you drive, theres lots of 17yr olds hooning around here with all these big exhausts hanging off the back, big enough to stick your foot in..."

Nothing personal, being discriminatory and harrassing import drivers is all ok though apparently.

I haven't really had any issues where I would need to take it further though. I think most ppl that have issues with TMU are usually rude little pricks that do nothing but get themselves into more trouble and then wonder why they are constantly pulled over.

Keep in mind that you are entitled to refrain from making any comments and ask that they submit any questions to your legal representative. However saying this may cause them to look for more issues, so it may be worth just answering their questions and complying. Depends on the situation.

99% of cops are great, its just the 1% that spoilt it for the good ones.

ive had an incident where a vic cop thought i was some hoon who flew around the streets everywhere in wodonga. threw my licence at me even.

it was the 2nd time i had driven my car there. sadly enough missed the nsw plates :D

but every other instance ive found them to be great, even when writing out an infringement

That's the problem with these laws though man, they are not well thought out at all. They have made it so that these laws need to be interpreted down to the finest loophole and the police...let alone average Joe...will have trouble understanding them and what constitutes breaking the law. It's bullshit and I foresee many amendments in the future.

If you look at it from another perspective, they are well thought out. Remember the news a few weeks back, when the statistics were that 50% of challenged traffic infringements were dropped, but less than 10% of all fines were challenged?

By making it ambiguous, they can fine more people, and most will just pay up.

pull car over, stop the engine, take keys out, press record button on your phone, then place it on your door handle and let it sit there for really good recording.