Superlap 2010 Ramblings

Bozman1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely amazing times yesterday, it was great to see!

I thought the quickest cars might get to super car speed, and that the 2 local supercars would be in with a chance....wrong on both counts!

Here's some tin top lap records at Eastern Creek for reference:

Sports Sedan: Darren Hossack Audi A4 1.30.4632

Supercar: Mark Skaife Commodore VT 1:31.7301

Sports Cars: Allan Simonsen Ferrari GT 360 1.33.4054

Super Tourers: Cameron McLean BMW 320i 1:33.8642

Carerra Cup: Alex Davison Porsche 911 GT3 1:34.2011

Improved Production: Dave Loftus Nissan Skyline 1.42.5294

Bob Pearson Mitsubishi Evo 10 1.45.7433

and outright:

Nico Hulkenberg (GER) A1 Lola Zytek 1.19.142

So the sports sedan is still quicker, but the Cyber Evo is quicker than everything else. And the Sierra Sierra car is 1/10th slower than the supercar lap record. Wilfred in the Open Class EMO was within 2 seconds of the carrera cup times, and the clubsprint times fit in between IPRA and Production cars (surprisingly slow but I guess tyres were a huge limit....budget and power certainly weren't!)

Errr, those times were done with what tires? are we comparing apples with oranges? Mark Skaife did what Qualifying with super soft compounds??

Cyber evo had an issue with the head on friday, they used a standard head with what im been told standard valves but with cams and gears and was down 120hp'ish or more.

Even so Tarzan wanted to crack sub 1.30 but the rear wing came off.

Wasn't donut king ex v8 supercar?

If those cars are so fast then superlap should send an invitation for next years.

Was a great 2 day, nice to see so many people there hope the event just gets bigger and better.

Meet alot of SAU people in the pits coming to have a look at my car, nice to meet you all :D

I was very happy to get in the 1:49 with full trim and bolt on suspension parts out the box with Kumho KU36's.

And what a drive from Jackie in the 200sx only running 210rwkw with E85, said he borrowed alot of parts of mates to bolt on the car for the event, Must have some very good mates.

Car looked great. Sorry didn't come say hi to you and Bianca. Walked past your pit and you looked pretty busy.

Making comparisons to V8 supercars is ridiculous. They are built to rules that that govern almost every aspect of the car...superlap rules are a little bit more liberal in comparison. For the V8 supercars to be doing those times when you see the technology and freedoms for the superlap cars... speaks volumes for the lumbering taxis, their drivers and engineers in my opinion.

Anyway, the day was great, heaps to see, awesome cars. But what happened to the shootout they've run the previous couple of years? I loved the 1 car, empty track, 1 chance to get it right approach - tests the car and the driver. I personally think that the final standings should be decided by this format run last on Sunday - by the last sessions yesterday it seemed like many had given up and had decided they wouldn't go any quicker. What does everyone else think?

I'm also intrigued as to what those with more experience think about the fastest lap done by the sierra sierra car

Strange lines...? Compare them to someone who has done a billion race laps around EC, Mr Loftus, and there are big differences at T2, T6/7 and T12 onto the straight.

Dave (and others), what do you think? A second or so still in that car?

Well I don't count as an expert...but turn 6 entry was poor and 11/12 was a little slow, but otherwise it was almost inch perfect. Which is a real credit to the driver who I assume has not done hundred or thousands of laps like some locals have. The difference to Dave's lap at turn 2 is immaterial, on sticky tyres you can do either single or double apex for the same result, only the second apex and corner exit matters.

The g output in that video is interesting...he was pulling up to 2g which is extraordinary in a tin top. Also he hardly backed off in turn 1, would love to know their apex speed - it is very likely the quickest a touring car has ever gone through that corner

Re the lap times...absolutely not.

In fact the superlap cars are on super soft/1 session tyres. For a lap record to count it has to be set during a race, so Hossack's time was set on tyres that can last at least 20 minutes at full noise (probably mediums) whereas all the front runners here were changing to new soft tyres every 2 laps.

Both the Rose and Fernandex cars are ex-supercars, but they were running on hard semi slicks.....very bad choice and it's a shame - I still think with the right focus the local supercars would go just as fast as the front running emos.

While on development...Luff coming home 4th in the elise shows the value of a car that has been developed over years, great showing. I have no doubt Mark Berry's car will be back in the top 3 next year with a year of 4wd development under its belt - I just hope they can find some wind tunnel time, aero is clearly a major difference to the front cars.

Thanks for your input Duncan,

Interesting how you said inch perfect yet I noted Dave used alot more kerb in some areas - I think your claim is valid though given how stiffly sprung the cars were, using the harsh saw tooth kerbs in the evo would likely bounce it off the track.

Anyway, i'll stop nitpicking drivers from my keyboard and get some photos up

It would have been awesome to have a radar on turn 1. The speed some of those cars carried through there was amazing.

The yellow rx7 barely backed off at all.

Shame the HMUAS ZED didnt make the event. Would have been fun to see if to go up against the ex V8 Supercars. :D

As Duncan has said, a dedicated build of an Ex-V8 Supercar would be a good thing and funny to see a big sedan keeping them all honest. Less cage, some carbon guards to increase track. Less crap because they dont have to go 50laps. Either an alloy Chev or turbo6, depending on whether you go Ford or Holden. Glass to lexan, and a bit of development of the aero they run....get rid of air jacks, all the looms etc for data logging.

yeah your onto it chris, that incar from gtr was on different tyre ( sports sedan slick)

we ran very similar lines at superlap to sierra with r spec tyres (a little more kurb maybe:) )

its all about power down in straight line not as much mid corner.

im sure the incar stuff from us will be up soon

dave

bsm

post-37870-1274606513_thumb.jpg

Edited by lofty

ahh well shortcuts are one of the things that come with local knowledge. they are big curbs at EC but a couple of them don't cause much upset. I wouldn't be hitting the curbs on a track I didn't know with a stiff car with big aero either.

lucky for the visitors it wasn't oran park....lots to be gained on the curbs there.

noel.... +1 on the panspeed car in turn 1...would love to know

Great day all, I didnt get chance to come up to the hill for a meet and greet but from my point of view it looked like you all had a great view point.

Next year can we set up a zip line from the hill to turn 2 so you can all share the love... and booze.

does anyone know where i can find the list of lap times from the day?? i forgot to look them up when i got back in to the pit area.

lol those wicket energy drinks...yeah I almost needed a defibulator haha

the pulse racing evo was dam quick!

Stuart Inwood did a PB also, top work Stuart and was good to meet you!

That blue 180 in opens looked a pretty bloody good set up car too!

Well fact is Cyber made 475 awhp on Friday night at 1.2 bar. They ran it at 1.6 on Saturday to set that time. So 600 would be closer?

Interestingly we compared a bit of data with some other teams and one fun fact was Berry's car was 20klm/h up on Sierra car at the end of the straight. Shows how

much downforce/drag that SS car has!

Cyber car weighs 1125, and creates 1250lg of dowforce. Yes, you read that right. They said under that car is really something special!

:-))