SAU Community

Broken Fuel Gauge

kikutaknight

i did a forum search and went through 4 pages of results without finding anything...

so my fuel gauge on my R33 is broken. it's funny...i had a r31 before this and it broke on that one too. maybe it's just me. it just sits on dead empty all the time. so i just fill it up every now and then, hoping i don't run out of fuel.

Does anyone know what's involved in getting it fixed and who i can go to for it? I thought i would ask on the forum before asking shops to see if i could learn anything useful. learn from ur experiences perhaps.

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
pull the sender out of the tank and give a good clean out as they get covered in rust and gunk

Umm...how easy is this to do? 

It seems like you can get access to it by following this guide: http://www.skyline-owners-club.com/forums/...l-pump-r33.html

minus changing the fuel pump...

• 2 months later...

its four screws for the cover, then about 6 -8 for the sender and it will come straight out.. check that the spring and floater arm are in good condition, i had the same problem with mine bcoz my floater arm thingy was bent from a previous owner swapping fuel pumps dodgey like...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey man, I donno if it would be any use to you.

There is 3 pins at the back of the 33 dash that refer to the fuel.

By the sound of things it seems that it is more a gauge problem then the sender unit (if it went up when accelerating).

You can measure the 3 pins and see what you get. There is labels on the back of the dash for the correct pin (well it is actually 3 screws)

You can't miss it: Looking at the back of the dash, next to the right 10pin connector the fuel track that connects to the centre screw of the gauge is the sender signal.

The signal is a measurement between 0 ~ 180Ohm depending on level of the tank. With the ignition off, measure that wire in relevance to a ground. Using a multimeter on the 200 ohm setting. Alternatively.. Measure the other two pins. The top pin (screw) is GND, the bottom is +8V when ign is on.

If you find out that the gauge is at fault (measurements ok) let me know, I have another instrument cluster you can try and plug in, and see if that fixes the problem.

• 1 year later...

hey guys

i have the same problem with my r33 gtst

i parked the car on a slight angle with a full tank of fuel and when i came back the needle was past the E right at the bottom of the gauge. i plugged in another dash cluster and the needle started dropping streight away.

did you guys work out what was wrong?

clean or replace the sender unit?

if replace new or second hand? expensive?

cheers!!

Try get a variable resistor and plug it into the terminals at the fuel tank. Turn your ignition on move the resistor and see if your gauge moves. If it does then your fuel sender is nackered. If it still doesnt it could be a wiring fault between the fuel sender and your instrument cluster or the cluster itself may be nackered. From memory you can get variable resistors from somewhere like dicksmiths for a few dollars. Not to sure which terminals to prob but, you may need a wiring diagram for that. Hope that helps a bit?

Try get a variable resistor and plug it into the terminals at the fuel tank. Turn your ignition on move the resistor and see if your gauge moves. If it does then your fuel sender is nackered. If it still doesnt it could be a wiring fault between the fuel sender and your instrument cluster or the cluster itself may be nackered. From memory you can get variable resistors from somewhere like dicksmiths for a few dollars. Not to sure which terminals to prob but, you may need a wiring diagram for that. Hope that helps a bit?

I tried this and the gauge works fine so it must be the sender.

• 2 months later...

Ok i took out the fuel sender unit and the float is not stuck plus it looks in good condition!!!

but the gauge is still stuck on reading 3 1/4 full??

i even filled the tank right to the top to see if it would move but no luck...

how can i check to see if its the gauge thats faulty or the sender unit not working??

Ok i took out the fuel sender unit and the float is not stuck plus it looks in good condition!!!

but the gauge is still stuck on reading 3 1/4 full??

i even filled the tank right to the top to see if it would move but no luck...

how can i check to see if its the gauge thats faulty or the sender unit not working??

Did you pull apart the sender and give it a clean? Also the gauge could be faulty. You can test with a potentiometer or by simply pulling apart the fuel sender and then plugging it back in turning the ignition on and moving the float up and down to see if the gauge moves.

hope this helps. :)

might be a stupid question but do u have to do any thing before opening the fuel tank

from my understanding i thought they were pressurized

you can start the engine and run the car and then pull the fuel pump fuse or relay this will remove the pressure in the fuel system and then the car will stall.