SAU Community

2860-5 Too Much Lag

trvgtr

Its always the guys trying to do things on the cheap at CRD who always whinge and its the ones who are prepared to spend the money and follow their instructions that get the results.

thats a bit harsh paul... not all of us are super cashed up, im not saying you are, but you have spent alot of money on your car.. so you stand up for CRD and thats great... so someone like me saves up as much as possible to get my car tuned by the best because of what you said... and they recommend me something that i just plumb cannot afford.. im prepared to spend the money... i just dont have the money to spend... so does that mean they wont do their best to work with what ive given them??

Customer service? mate its the modified car industry...harden up for gods sake...its not a GTR owners counselling club where they waste their time chatting over coffee.

aint gonna be much going on without customers... first impressions last and little personality goes along way, and its free..

This is the same reason i pick and chose my work...as soon as someone who wants an engine done doesn't want to spend the money to make it work properly and reliably then i suggest to them that they should probably look somewhere else to get it done. My reputation and piece of mind are not worth short-cuts and people who are not prepared to listen.

i want to spend the money.. but if i dont have it, i dont have it! so would you just brush me off as not being good enough for you or would you help me achieve the best i can with what ive got??

now what if someone chose you for your reasons above, they listened to you and were prepared to spend on whatever you recomended, and you left them in the lurch with an untuned car making much less than you said it would make.. what would that do to your reputation?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi finally got the car back from croydon yesterday. Jim had the car for 2 weeks and re-checked everything i had previously checked. He ran the car on the dyno with actuaors closed, exhaust off ect and showed me the dyno print out. I was amazed to see the difference with the exhaust off, boost came on strong at 5000rpm (1500rpm earlier!!!) I did try this but obviously you cant see the difference on the road while trying to drive, thats the beauty of having a dyno i guess!!! He also fitted new eboost 2 and explained to me that installing cam gears will also help alot and gave me a money back guarantee!!! I have purchased some cam gears which i will fit up next week and take back to croydon for another tune. Jim was very helpful at crd and was very shocked at how cheap he was ($700 for eboost install and setup, and 2 weeks worth of diagnoses!!!) will keep you posted after the cam gears are fitted up

cheers

so the problem was a small exhaust?

the actuators werent closing properly?

timing was out?

did u ask jim went u went back that wen he had dyno tuned ur car , didnt he feel it was laggy as shit on the dyno , and y he never really did anything to sort that out while he had it , or even mention anything to you?

Hi finally got the car back from croydon yesterday. Jim had the car for 2 weeks and re-checked everything i had previously checked. He ran the car on the dyno with actuaors closed, exhaust off ect and showed me the dyno print out. I was amazed to see the difference with the exhaust off, boost came on strong at 5000rpm (1500rpm earlier!!!) I did try this but obviously you cant see the difference on the road while trying to drive, thats the beauty of having a dyno i guess!!! He also fitted new eboost 2 and explained to me that installing cam gears will also help alot and gave me a money back guarantee!!! I have purchased some cam gears which i will fit up next week and take back to croydon for another tune. Jim was very helpful at crd and was very shocked at how cheap he was ($700 for eboost install and setup, and 2 weeks worth of diagnoses!!!) will keep you posted after the cam gears are fitted up

cheers

So the exhaust was too restrictive. What did you change?

My opinion is you have to be clear with what you want out of a tuner. If you go to a tuner stating you only want to spend $750 and you want 300awkw. Technically he has done what you asked.

If the car has been 100% for the past year and you are just upping the boost 5psi then sure just ask for a tune. But if you have just installed aftermarket turbos, dump pipe etc etc then I would personally say can you please inspect my setup and if everything is fine, tune it.

Its such a fine line between leaving them help out and leaving them do whatever they want.

Sounds like they definitely came to the table in the end though.

Yea Travis,

What did they fix? what did they change? what did they do? you havent told anyone yet :P

I reckon buy a supra, put a gt35r in it and be done with :)

Yeah I agree aswel

Supras are great cars, super strong drivetrain and of course the 2J

can wait to get the 35r on mine

hi guys, not posted for a while but have been nosying on here..i dont want to upset anyone on here, but why is it time and time again you guys buy the wrong turbos for there applications?.1.2 bar? the turbos wont do anything until 1.5 bar. get some boost in them and there will be no lag. we run an rb26 here with -5 at 1.7 bar there is 1 bar at 3200rpm and full boost by 4000rpm. you would have been better buying -7 or gtss for the power you are making. remember lifes starts at 2bar of boost..lol. bernie.. get them wound up or change for smaller ones and get them wound up then enjoy the car for what it is..

so, without changing anything else apart from the peak manifold pressure, how would the turbos come on boost quicker?

how is your engine comparable to his unless we know the full details of each engines specs and everything related to power production that's bolted to it?

the low-mid rpm flow characteristics of the compressor/turbine wheels hasn't changed. if the wastegates stay shut right up until the desired boost setting is approached, the transient response time will be the same regardless of if you're running 1.2 or 1.7 bar

Those results are pretty good. I am putting the same turbos on with CAM gears and will be stoked with that power level and full boost by 4,500RPM.

P.S. Seen your car around looks great with the black wheels!

yeah its fun on the street, i just got cam gears too, fitting them next week then off to crd for final tune,

cheers for the compliment :)

so the problem was a small exhaust?

the actuators werent closing properly?

timing was out?

did u ask jim went u went back that wen he had dyno tuned ur car , didnt he feel it was laggy as shit on the dyno , and y he never really did anything to sort that out while he had it , or even mention anything to you?

He told me that the exhaust was too restrictive, and that fixing that along with a set of cam gears on there it will fix my problem, so i will be replacing the exhaust and fitting the cam gears next week, jim assured me if this does not fix my problem he will give me my money back

As to why he never told me that it was too laggy when they had it, i couldnt tell you, all they said to me when i asked this was " you only told us you wanted 300 atw which it made

Yea Travis,

What did they fix? what did they change? what did they do? you havent told anyone yet :D

I reckon buy a supra, put a gt35r in it and be done with :)

hahahaha danny, you make me laugh, only if supras werent so ugly maybe i would have got one from the start hahaha :(

so, without changing anything else apart from the peak manifold pressure, how would the turbos come on boost quicker?

how is your engine comparable to his unless we know the full details of each engines specs and everything related to power production that's bolted to it?

the low-mid rpm flow characteristics of the compressor/turbine wheels hasn't changed. if the wastegates stay shut right up until the desired boost setting is approached, the transient response time will be the same regardless of if you're running 1.2 or 1.7 bar

spot on!!!