SAU Community

R34 Four Door Questions And Enquiries

Ezy03

hey guys i might be interested in getting a 4dr r34 (Gtt) soon but before i do i would like some help with something so i can get info before i go looking for one, so if you dont mind share what ever with me so that i can learn a thing or two or three.....or four :D

anyways im just wondering if anyone or a group of you can answer the following questions (for now)

1- what year did nissan stop making the r34 four door (gtt)? (the latest year i saw up for sale was a 2001)

2- how is it on fuel (weekly cost l/100kms, tank size, how much kms do you pull from full tank)?

3- what are the common problems of the car?

4- how much would i be looking at for a black or b/blue, stock, auto, s/roof (or not), low to mid km's (if someone can also tell me the average km range there in right now aswel that would be great), great condition, no work needed to be done, no accidents ever etc..?

5- would it be cheaper and a better idea to import one instead of buying one already in NSW?

6- insurance cost, how much? i know this will depened on me personally but just want to get a general idea of what you guys out there that own one pay.

7- any costs that might in there once a while eg- service etc.

thats all for now i guess, thanks guys.

hey mate,

im a new owner of a r34 4door, i love it to bits! iv hand no problems with it so far. its not to bad on fuel about 400-450 per tank.

oh mines a tiptronic turbo btw.

im not sure about some of the other questions but yeah hope that kinda helps :P

could i ask ya how much km's you had on it and price if possible (pm the price if your not willing to post it to the whole fourms - thats if you even wanna tell me aswel :))

also bud hows the tiptronic gear box on the car and how does it put up with the turbo?

hey guys i might be interested in getting a 4dr r34 (Gtt) soon but before i do i would like some help with something so i can get info before i go looking for one, so if you dont mind share what ever with me so that i can learn a thing or two or three.....or four :)

anyways im just wondering if anyone or a group of you can answer the following questions (for now)

1- what year did nissan stop making the r34 four door (gtt)? (the latest year i saw up for sale was a 2001)- i think your right here

2- how is it on fuel (weekly cost l/100kms, tank size, how much kms do you pull from full tank)? -mine gets 450-500k's a tank, about $65 to fill

3- what are the common problems of the car? -coilpacks (around $600), normal bushes age related, no other real mechanical faults if driven sensibly and serviced

4- how much would i be looking at for a black or b/blue, stock, auto, s/roof (or not), low to mid km's (if someone can also tell me the average km range there in right now aswell that would be great), great condition, no work needed to be done, no accidents ever etc..? - seach carsales be able to get a good idea from there

5- would it be cheaper and a better idea to import one instead of buying one already in NSW?- cheaper yes, there is pro's and con's to both

6- insurance cost, how much? i know this will depened on me personally but just want to get a general idea of what you guys out there that own one pay.- 28yr old driver $60 a month fully comp

7- any costs that might in there once a while eg- service etc.- like any car, $120ish a service, timing belt at 100k, tyre's and age related stuff

thats all for now i guess, thanks guys.

All in all they are an excellent car, if looked after properly will serve you fine, mine has done 160k's and still going strong only thing we have done is coilpacks

ah k thanks so far guys, just wondering how are the r34 gtt 4dr for long distance travelling, say from syd to melb to to qld, how do the tubro's in them handle the long distance and australian weather?

they travel along good for long drives, i do wish my auto r34gtt had a fifth gear thou.....

Well they kinda do, they have what they call a fake 5th, its when the torque convertor locks, u can feel it when it slips into 4th then drops again.

Mine sits on 2700rpm in 5th at 110km/h.

We get 500km's a tank in it on long journeys which i reckon is excellent, seats are OK for long distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I own a r34 4 door manual. I get about 370kms to a tank (50L) around town thats with A/C in this heat and 200rwkw. Ive gotten 500kms+ on a long trip. I recently drove from syd to adl and it was fine even with coilovers. Biggest pain I've found with my 34 is that the interiors are prone to the plasticy paint scratching off easily from the plastic console. Having owned a 32 and 33 previously, its by far the best. I would never own another coupe again either!

• 5 months later...

Hi iv got a 2001 4door gtt manual and get about 450kms out of it . Great to drive and leaves my mates r34 coupe at the line . I payed 20,000 in Jan this year with 107,000 on the clock . Haven't had any problems with it yet an plan on keeping it till it can't be registered any more .i love it

• 9 months later...

what do people think of the non turbo version?

im on my p's and im really interested in the non turbo version, but people say its a complete hunk of junk.

i want to know the opinions of the skyline community.

also ive asked around and people think that its a hideous car?

I'd say a non-turbo R34 performance is comparable to the latest 4 cylinder camry/older model commodore/falcon.

No that fast in the straight line, but it's not slow - but generally pretty good overall around town and highway.

But once you put handing and braking mods they make an excellent twisties car.

yeah but i want opinions on buying a n/a skyline.

is it as bad as people say it is?

They're really not a bad car at all. I think a nice clean non-turbo 34 is a pretty decent car for a young P-plater. iseekool pretty much summed it up performance wise.

When you say the NA model is 'as bad as people say it is', you're likely talking to someone /reading something that's comparing it's performance to the turbo model. Having driven both myself, the non-turbo is a very different drive - both models are in a class of their own.

If you are a young car enthusiast eager on performance and power, buying the non-turbo is a waste of time and money. It's just going to depreciate in value by the time you want to sell it (to then buy a turbo model). If you want to drop in a 25DET NEO later, you are still up for a decent bill - and that's doing all the work yourself. It's worth waiting till you are off your P's, and just going straight to the turbo model.

If you don't care about power and performance, and just want the non-turbo model for the fact of owning an r34 - go for it.

They're really not a bad car at all. I think a nice clean non-turbo 34 is a pretty decent car for a young P-plater. iseekool pretty much summed it up performance wise.

When you say the NA model is 'as bad as people say it is', you're likely talking to someone /reading something that's comparing it's performance to the turbo model. Having driven both myself, the non-turbo is a very different drive - both models are in a class of their own.

If you are a young car enthusiast eager on performance and power, buying the non-turbo is a waste of time and money. It's just going to depreciate in value by the time you want to sell it (to then buy a turbo model). If you want to drop in a 25DET NEO later, you are still up for a decent bill - and that's doing all the work yourself. It's worth waiting till you are off your P's, and just going straight to the turbo model.

If you don't care about power and performance, and just want the non-turbo model for the fact of owning an r34 - go for it.

Also the non-turbo R34 has vvt (compared to the non-turbo R33 and R32), I find the powerband is wider, therefore you don't need to flog it as hard when driving it around town. I suppose the advantage of owning any skyline is the large number of braking and handling mods.

• 1 month later...

ah k thanks so far guys, just wondering how are the r34 gtt 4dr for long distance travelling, say from syd to melb to to qld, how do the tubro's in them handle the long distance and australian weather?

They love it. You will wish you had cruise control (not an option on skylines unfortunately) though. I've done 4380km in a week, across the Nullarbor and back. Fuel consumption isn't an attribute of imports as a rule, so expect something in the 350-450km range from a tank of 50L (the most I've put in mine was 54L...I think I was pushing boundaries that time ;) )

As far as road handling, comfort, etc, they're pretty good, if it's turbo, then there's plenty of power available for overtaking, I haven't been in an N/A. Mine gets a lot of use, and is now at ~170,000km, I've only really had typical maintenance and wear and tear issues (rear wheel bearings being the most significant).

A few of my mates have bought them since I've had mine, so I guess that speaks for itself.

• 1 month later...

Guys.. i have a question

What is the difference between the ER34, HR34, EN34? i know that the BNR34 is the GTR

also.. are the shock absorbers the same for the sedan and the coupe?

I believe it is a brief chassis description sedan/coupe, RWD/AWD, not sure if it describes engine capacity and if the vehicle has a turbo or not.

I believe it is a brief chassis description sedan/coupe, RWD/AWD, not sure if it describes engine capacity and if the vehicle has a turbo or not.

Doesn't negate body style but afaik ER34 is turbo,EN34 is non turbo and at a guess HR34 could be the RB20 model.