SAU Community

Nzm.031's R32 Gtst Ground Up Build.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work lint

Its good when you have room to do all thist ype of work, not like my garage, filled with all of Fatz crap.

Cheers

thanks kyle, funny you should say about the space as the stack happened 1 week after moving into our own house with a garage.. before that she was parked in a tiny driveway with no room or shelter to do anything.. having the garage and knowing that no landlord can kick us out definatly makes a huge difference, anything that doesnt belong in the garage is in the house..

you should charge fatz rent... or sell it bit by bit until he notices. haha.

• 2 months later...

hey guys... been a little while since i updated this... not much has been going though... my garage is a pain to work in during the summer.. plus with christmas and febuary bills... there hasnt been much doing at all..

but a few things have been happening lately.

firstly.. sound deadener.. after attempting to do it with loctite freeze spray.. which works until it melts and becomes wet..

prestrip.jpg

i decided to quit while im ahead... and got some dry ice.. the nice man gave me 16kg for the price of 6kg.. cant complain about that!!

dryice.jpg

snap... crackle.... pop.... BANG! one swift hit with a soft mallet and 90% of it just lifted straight up..

driversside.jpg

boot.jpg

rearseat.jpg

passengerside.jpg

firewall1.jpg

now that thats done... i can get moving with the interior.

i removed the exhaust from the car... its a beautiful exhaust, but too quiet for my liking.. its a kakimoto stainless jobby if anyone wants to buy it. great street note, very quiet though.

kakimotoexhaust1-1.jpg

kakimotoexhaust1.jpg

i was intrigued by the kakimoto stainless cat... as its very small and light...

decatpipe1.jpg

and you know why.... coz there was nothing inside it!!

decatpipe2.jpg

fate is a funny old thing.. and it works in wierd ways.. i absolutly loved my panasports... they set the car off.. just the right size and offset.. i was devastated that id destroyed 2 of them.. and always keep an eye out for some.. they are hard to find in decent sizing with good dish.. i passed up a set of 17x12 and 17x10 when i first got mine.. i wish i didnt now.

then i found these

ebaylove.jpg

17x9.5 +25 off an R32 GTR... should get them in the next few days.

now the fun part of this is, as they are 3 piece rims... i can mix and match all the pieces to create a perfect set of wheels... i was so excited on saturday night that i couldnt sleep... so at 2.30am.. i played around

this is the original rear wheel fitment... 17x9.5 +25

251.jpg

252.jpg

then i swapped the rim centres with the front ones. which have a more meat on the hub face to clear the brakes... 25mm more meat.

(rear on the left, front on the right)

21032010844.jpg

now i have 17x9.5 0 offset... and it looks cranky!!!!!!!

-03.jpg

-02.jpg

-01.jpg

tossing up now what to do about the rear guards... if it was a pure drifter... and i was always going to run stretched tyres... i would just flare the guards as much as possible.. but as i want to run wide tyres like 285's for track days and 255's for other uses.. im thinking +30 or +50mm front and rear fenders.

like this... but with the visible gap at the back of the fender.

three10.jpg

i want it to have a stance like the tomei/cusco wrx

130_0904_12_z%20subaru_wrx_cusco%20exhaust.jpg

i think the engine is next on the list... mainly as i want it back in its home.. it takes up too much room in my little garage, and suspension is expensive due to all the little $200 parts.. i can do the engine relativley cheaply in its first stage.

till next time folks and thanks for looking

Linton

This is a great write up. Keep up the good work mate. The photoshop pic looks the goods too. Maybe with black powdercoated r34s

thanks... i wont be quitting my day job to be a photoshopper though.. i do not have the attention span.

lookin good mate! bastard sound deadening, i went the other direction and bought a heat gun and a slab of vic and spent ages with a paint scraper... wish id known the dry ice trick hah ha

following yours and bens threads with interest. and poaching ideas lol

cheers, Rowdy

new wheels turned up today... bit of shame they are only 17x9... not 9.5's like they were advertised.. not really a drama.. well sort of is.. but i can make do for the moment...

thanks rawdon, poach away... rest assured most of my ideas are far from original.. i do not have the brain capacity.

cheers

Linton

I love the dried ice trick. Tried it on my mate drift Ceffy, soooo effective! I hope you had some fun putting it in water as well :D Although that is mainly for small minds :(

haha, i did not even think of that.. considering how expensive it is and how much i got for free vs how much was needed to do the whole car... any thoughts of playing around with were simply non existent, i just wanted to get it in and get it done so i didnt have to go back for more due to stupidity.

ok, bit of an update..

so i got the panasports... and out of all of them, i can make 3 good 9" rims.. by good, i mean, no cracks and no damage..

heres a pic of the GTR fronts and rears... barely even what id call good fitment..

27032010864.jpg

and out of my panasports, i can make.. hmm... 1 good 9.5" rim. hahaha..

but i found a guy in the uk who turns up custom dished outers for panasports to suit the really wide widebodies.. or does someone know of someone in aus?? 3" dished outers would be good... just need 2.

so i played around with some ideas.. and figured i could use the 2 Rear 9" rims, swap the rear spokes with the front ones, and have some decent dished front wheels.

27032010863.jpg

now thats one way to add some more track..

then i put my 9.5" rim on the back, now its got a pretty decent footprint.

31032010890.jpg

reason being is i work on the Pyramid principle when it comes to wheel track... i think that the wheels should be the widest part of the car.. the body can rock around inside the overall wheel width and push the weight onto the wheels instead of pulling the wheels to follow the weight.. i think it allows the car to sit flatter when you are sliding through a corner.

so now ive got the stance soughted... i can get to work mocking up different suspension ideas. work out angles and shit like that... headache stuff. also know for sure how wide i need a body kit to be.

moving on..

one thing i felt like playing with is the intercooler locale.. i liked it in its original spot... but it was lower than the chassis and very easy to damage if you scraped something

24082009537.jpg

i thought about mounting it high and in between the headlights... but didnt like it.. then i thought about a vee mount, but that was alot of work, and alot of the top time attack cars run the intercoolers out the front... so theres no reason why i shouldnt...

so i decided to mount in in the same spot, on an angle so its above the chassis rails (as this is where ill bolt the splitter to)

28032010866.jpg

its kind of a vee mount :( i used the old reo to get the top in the right spot so it didnt cause front bar fitment issues.. that would be ghey... speaking of ghey, i think silver or shiny intercoolers are ghey, so now its gunmetal grey.

ill make a nice shroud either c/f or aluminium to direct air from the front bar... should look good

at the bottom i used 2 bolts to get an even space which ill block off with foam or aluminium, and used and old elec wire as tie wire to let the top rest in the right spot.

28032010868.jpg

now i can make up to alloy straps to hold the top in place... these are temporary so that the cooler is solid and i can build a frame around it to hold the front bar on.

28032010873.jpg

do not ask to see the bottom mounts... they are horrible..

now the cooler is all mounted up and with the phat tyres on the front, it looks supermegahecticcranky.

now i can figure out where to make some nice toight piping go...

the next money to be spent will be on a single bucket seat and some old semi slicks... some friends (non car friends) saw the car and thought it was a mere street car that i was doing up..... um noo... not quite.. so for sheer shits and giggles... i want some f#%k off tyres and a seat that just does not look at all comfortable. . this will also keep me inspired as they are physically large items.. it will look more together.. haha.. even though its a long long way off.

cheers

Linton

edited due to double post... but while im here...

it doesnt look it in the pics but the cooler is on a much greater angle than before.. and its raised the bottom 3cm higher.

• 3 weeks later...

back again.. bit of an update for the month

so i decided to start on the interior... working from front to back.

cleaned the firewall

04042010897.jpg

painted the firewall

04042010898.jpg

cleaned, checked, painted and regreased the pedals.. i was tossing up with a full on pedal box... but i can do that later if need be.. in an effort to get it driving again sooner, i will be using the standard brake system with upgraded discs and pads.. ill get some nice pedals and position them for better heel/toe action etc.

05042010900.jpg

and then cleaned the steering column and fitted it and the pedals

05042010903.jpg

i also painted the support bar matt black.. dunno why, you'll never see it.

05042010904.jpg

now the dash pad can go back in

05042010899.jpg

and on to the outside..

its been quiet at work... so i decided to do some fab stuff.. one thing i wanted was to replicate the nismo powerbrace.. i dunno why.. every little bit helps i guess.. its a free and easy mod so why not..

13042010908.jpg

13042010909.jpg

13042010910.jpg

ive just got to box it up underneath, reinforce and reposition the castor rod mounts a little higher and paint it silver..

i also started carving up the old a/c mount to make it a p/s pump mount... so in its full state.. it weighs 3kg, which is the same as the original cast bracket..

15042010911.jpg

and in this pic it weighs 1.5kg

15042010915.jpg

ive cut a bit more off since then and swiss cheesed it.. down to a final 1kg now.. so the original r32 pump and bracket was 7kg (4kg+3kg) and the new combo is 3kg (2kg+1kg)... will get photos of it mounted up later.

so i decided last night to start measuring things for roll centre adjustment.. so out came the shocks and springs, and up went the wheels to my desired ride height... it looked sooo phat so instead of actually doing anything, i put the old front bar on and sat the headlights in place and spent the evening taking some pics..

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

i hope the size isnt too big.. some are phone and some are proper camera pics.

had a quick look at the angles of the arms.. and at that height.. the lca appears flat.. or maybe pointing up a little bit... so i can get a rca adjuster easy enough for the bottom arm... but what about the top arm?? what has people done there?? the only thing i can think is to raise the top mount on the strut tower to match the angle of the lca.... is it worth worrying about RCA on a double wishbone setup?? i mean, whatever i do at the front, has ot be replicated at the back.. ill be raising the subframe and mounting it directly to the chassis.. which is a 13mm or so lift.. argh.. brain explosion!

so to refresh my poor brain, i played in photoshop

rhf2.jpg

lhs1.jpg

front.jpg

oldfront.jpg

rhf1.jpg

enjoy!

Haha... photos look sick!

Please post up how you go with the roll centre measurement and so on. You going to look at bump steer too? It is something I want to do but have not built up enough patience to have a go yet.

Mike

its definatly something that im way over my head with... but you have to learn from mistakes, so ill see what happens and yeh ill definatly post up the goings on here.. with the help of my old boy we should be able to nut something out..

cheers

Linton

hey Linton

check out this thread. it has a pic a few pages in that shows a cool way to raise the front upper control arm mount.

http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/showthread.p...highlight=beast

and also check out the unique Z build for more pics http://www.uniqueautosports.com/

i was going down this hole role centre idea but after talking to a suspension gooroo he talked me out of if unless i was ready to put in many hours of ground work.

for example a wats linkage rear end if changed 5mm up or down changes a car from an understeering cop to a oversteering cop.

also it makes a huge difference changing front to back roll centre.

Re the castor mount as well. the holes for the castor rod on the castor rod bracket should be lower than the standard spot. ie the castor rod mount centre should be lower than the lower control arm inner pivot point.

if you can make sense of that. hope it helps.