SAU Community

Air Conditioning - Regassing

Sarumatix

Dunno mate, all I know is the oil's are not compatible. From reading level323's post's in the other thread linked above, it seems like its just an oil change but I really dont know.

I'd shoot him a PM and see if he replies

Well I spent a lot of time talking to a rep from HiChill yesterday which was fascinating. Basically Bozz is on the money about the deal. HiChill is simply a mix of iso-propane and butane (called hichill -30). You can buy it off the shelf from R&E parts in Glen Waverley - aristoc road. The mechanic next door is going to put it in my 94 gts-t which is currently running R134a, all that is involved is a flush (most importantly to remove lubricant which converts to acid in the presence of moisture) and new receiver/dryer which I have been advised is recommended for any re-gas anyway (if you like doing things properly). It is flammable but there appears to be a lot of misinformation about this and the relevance of the flammability of less than 300gs of butane, when you consider you have 50L of petrol or LPG anyway :D.

If you have an early model R32 which is installed with R12 then usually it's as simple as removing old gas and installing hichill. R12 doesn't use the nasty lubricant and hence a flush isn't required. I called around a few places and prices are generally around 60-80 for a straight re-gas and 200-300 for a flush and new dryer.

Thanks Bozz, the mechanic I spoke to wasn't happy about putting HC into a system designed for 134A is the compression issue the likely reason why? Or does 134a have exactly the same problem?

oo it can be used in R134a you say? Keep me up to date with this. I might change mine to HC if it can run fine in r134a.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Grrr still no aircon.. apparently compressor is toast.. Now how does one get a good one? because everyone tells me if the compressor has been degassed even for a few hours the compressor will cop it. Find someone wrecking a car with a complete system still working?

Grrr still no aircon.. apparently compressor is toast.. Now how does one get a good one? because everyone tells me if the compressor has been degassed even for a few hours the compressor will cop it. Find someone wrecking a car with a complete system still working?

Thats odd?

I supplied a second hand one to be fitted by AC mechanic. It was posted from NSW to Vic and took a couple of weeks before it was installed. Working perfectly fine. (although it is making a racket now when idling due to the high pressure. This was after 1yr of installation)

• 1 year later...