SAU Community

Gauge Mounting

MrStabby

I think it's rather flawed this law. I always wondered why people weren't getting defected for suction cap GPS's while hard mounted guages were an issue. In the event of an accident the tacho ain't going nowhere. Both will be an intrusion to the driver either way. What if I used suction caps on a monster tacho? Would look ugly as heck but it would break off in an accident?

I'm old school. Gimme a street directory and I'll get there.

you could assume that,,,, but don't forget your listening to hear/say, ask rta they will tell you for sure, and see if you can get it in wrighting aswell

you could assume that,,,, but don't forget your listening to hear/say, ask rta they will tell you for sure, and see if you can get it in wrighting aswell

yeh good idea I will give them a ring. :P

just thought that i might be ok as my car is qld registered

Did you use one of these? Is it mounted low down on the pillar?

autometerpods.jpg

Nah,

I just have the cup screwed into the pillar....

th_Picture003Large.jpg

th_Picture002Large.jpg

No one has ever had a problem with them sitting there... so yeh...

behind the stering wheel its a defect if mounted on the pillar

it may well be, but like i said, i've been defected 3 times and never have had the rta or the cops say anything.

they have looked at it, but they have never defected me for it being there, yet when i had my other gauges mounted on the dash in front of the vents, i was defected for it so go figure...

a bit more hear/say Like Kujotk said ^^^ check with the rta, get it in writing and keep a copy in the car hehehe

bout 7 yrs ago now I got pinged for my 'A' pillar guage being 2 far up the pillar and was told by the blue slip bloke (real hard a$$ type) the entire guage must be behind the rim of the steering wheel ( the bit ya grip), moved it down and got passed

also I had tweeters in the vents(had them hid back behind the grill) , old eagle eye spotted em while sus'n my guage and made me move them 2, so I'd say guages in the vents would be out

I have in the past rang the RTA to ask specific Q'z and if ya nice enough they will post a printed extract of the regs

:Source

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/mot...adr_online.aspx

The Third Edition ADRs were made national standards by Determinations Nos 1 and 2 of 1989 published in Special Gazettes Nos S 264 and S 291 dated 2 August and 1 September 1989 respectively. However, the standards first became effective from 1 July 1988 to ensure that the transition from previous technical requirements was made smoothly. In addition, not all Third Edition ADRs applied as from 2 August 1989. Importantly, the implementation of the lighting ADRs was postponed until 1 October 1991 and 1 July 1992 for some vehicle categories.

The Third Edition ADRs were re-made as national vehicle standards in September 2006 to comply with the requirements of the Legislative Instruments Act 2003 (LIA) and registered on the Federal Register of Legislative Instruments (FRLI) (www.comlaw.gov.au). The list of Third Edition ADRs below has each version (e.g. /00) linked to the FRLI web site, where the ADRs, as vehicle standards (including amendments and compilations) and explanatory statements, can be found.

But they obstruct your vision.

I didnt read the full thread to see if this was answered but 3 diff cops ive asked about GPS units have told me "because they are considered a 'safety' item they are exempt". Meaning because it tells you where to go so you don't get lost it's allowed to be mounted on your windscreen?

By the way, i have one of these with 2x gauges in it:

autometerpods.jpg

Never been harassed about it.

If only a GPS unit could display boost and temps etc...

I have a single gauge in a cup on my A pillar mounted as low and far back as possible, and 3 under my head deck. That one officer is the only one to have said anything about it. As for what the officer told me it is pretty much hearsay too, they enforce the laws not make them. As everyone else has said check with the RTA or an approved engineer.