SAU Community

Gauge Mounting

MrStabby

Ok, so AFAIK;

1. it must not obstruct vision

2. it must not be able to come into contact with body/head in an accident (unless there was ADR compliant cushioning)

So where can they go and be legal? I assume A pillar mounts are illegal for reason 2, and i dont want to put it in the RHS air vent.

I wonder what the legality is with GPS units attached to windows is like then.. hmm

Far right hand corner between the dash and the glass is a good spot. The only thing it obstructs is dashboard unless its a massive gauge.

Otherwise if you've got a single DIN head unit you can mount it in the DIN pocket under the headunit..?

spoke to a highway patrol copper a while back who pulled me over for a check and he said GPS units are ok because in the event of an accident they will break from the glass.

That's the major issue...

You have one of those on your window, have a collision at say 50KM/H, it comes loose... Ever seen what an object weighing around 1KG does to a human skull at 50KM/H?

They should be BANNED full stop. f**king distracting things they are, and if it does come loose in a crash!

Whyy do you think we have to remove EVERYTHING from the cars at track days?

Yah i have my 60mm boost guage mounted on my steering column to the left side which just covers the bottom of the speedo so i cant see 170km/h or 180km/h, never had any problems with police cause in an accident my head will obviously hit the wheel first. My other 2 guages are mounted under the head unit. Need 1 more to complete the set, very snug fit :banana: And if they complain about boost guage covering speedo i will say well when are you aloud to do that speed on the streets lol.

Edited by Calsonic14U

i got myself a single din headunit, used one din for the climate controll, and used the other din for a combination 3 in 1 din boost, oil and water temp.... its the best LEGAL place to put it..... but then again if you really wan't to be picky, NO MODIFICATIONS ARE LEGAL UNLESS ENGINEERED, even a small crucifix hanging from your rear vision mirror is an offence

I reckon it's so silly...

you can't mount a gauge on your dash/pillar etc.

but thousands of people mount their GPS units on their windscreens and it obstructs vision HARD!

not to mention cabbies.. there's like 5 stickers on the windscreen, their dispatcher and their GPS and their 3 different versions of toll tags..

That's the major issue...

You have one of those on your window, have a collision at say 50KM/H, it comes loose... Ever seen what an object weighing around 1KG does to a human skull at 50KM/H?

They should be BANNED full stop. f**king distracting things they are, and if it does come loose in a crash!

Whyy do you think we have to remove EVERYTHING from the cars at track days?

I totally agree mate, thats just what the officer said to me.

I've got one gauge on my a-pillar which the cops/rta were happy with. 3 times i've been defected and they have not cared about the gauge that sits on my pillar

i used to have my set of gauges sitting on the flat bit in front of the air vents in an r32 and i've been defected for that. apparently they are located in a crash zone for the person who sits in the middle seat in the event i have an accident....

so now i have moved 2 of my gauges to sit underneath my stereo and 1 gauge sits on my steering column and the cops/rta are ok with it now + its all on my engineers certificate as well.

hope that helps.

pic.... admittedly its pretty low though

and as you can see this is why i need a new tacho COUGH

I've got a triple gauge cluster (plastic, screws into dash and holds 3 x gauges) where your avcr is, it's very securely mounted, will not come into contact with my face in an accident and I does not hinder my view of the road one bit. Never had any problems with cops and the cluster

I've got one gauge on my a-pillar which the cops/rta were happy with. 3 times i've been defected and they have not cared about the gauge that sits on my pillar

Did you use one of these? Is it mounted low down on the pillar?

autometerpods.jpg