SAU Community

Bye Bye Oran Park

Neil

haha great work! love the time lapse pic of almost a whole lap at night. the pic along the wall at the last turn is funny too....so crooked...you can see where it used to get hit all the time

chris....sure did take forever.....but racing is about close, not about speed. otherwise it's just a super sprint. no better place to learn racing than in slow and even cars.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry that video is a spectacular find!

I love the guy sitting 1m from the exit at suttons corner...and the guys standing on the infield next to the straight. Things sure have changed.

Would love to see the original course layout if anyone know is...clearly the original layout was not what we called the "GP" circuit. I can't work it out, looks like there was a bridge over a creek before the last turn (the "lake" remainined in the middle but everything else was removed) but does that mean the flip flop was different?

Thanks for the comments on my photos guys... this thread is turning into something good!

The early vids are great, I love the commentary. As for the track, I'm pretty sure it was much the same South circuit as was in use up until the end however the North Circuit was added in 1974 (according to wikipedia) to make the track longer. Leaving the lake on the inside of the last corner would have made things more interesting though.

If anyone has any more photos of themselves at the track, or interesting photos of the track itself post 'em up - I might post up some more of mine later.

from absolute years ago......proof my car even without a rear windscreen is quicker than john's z

pwn3d.jpg

Hey that's an old pic!!!

That was the first Aaron mcgil day I did.

That's me on the far left in the White car

I thought I'd lost this little puppy. 2009 NSW Supersprint day/nighter. It's cold,,,wet,,,dark and I'm on slicks. Who cares it was mad fun.

Neil.

here's a video from Oran Park 1964 (not as good but still a little interesting)

thanks Duncan for that video too....amazing how quickly they went to a ripple strip at the last turn, I guess those half tyres didn't cut it for more than a few days! nasty crash at 3min too with that car rolling over the armco and down the hill

• 2 months later...

I seen on the back window of a car today a white sticker that was the track layout + "Oran Park Farewell"

Can't find them online does anyone know where these can be purchased?

Thats a very nice s13 nismoman! subtle but serious!

Thanks evil! It's hard to beat - bang for buck wise.

I was devestated seeing that photo of the bridge being knocked down. :wub:

Guess there were no takers on keeping the old bridge? Imagine the transport costs!

I would think not many of the assets will be sold. Alot of them are old and rusty.

I wish i could drive a S13 but i either have to have my my neck bent or about 2 inches of my head poking out the sun roof

I wish i could drive a S13 but i either have to have my my neck bent or about 2 inches of my head poking out the sun roof

Yes the S13's don't have alot of room, but having a sunroof model makes it worse. There are low mount seat rails available that provide more headroom also.

I'm 6ft tall and have no problem but I imagine anyone over 6ft 2 would face difficulties.

I heard rumors that they were keeping the main straight as one of the streets in the estate, but pretty sure photos earlier in this thread showed all the tarmac being pulled up.

I doubt there will be anything left to remind us of one of the best tracks in Aust.

I heard rumors that they were keeping the main straight as one of the streets in the estate, but pretty sure photos earlier in this thread showed all the tarmac being pulled up.

Well, there will be a street where the Main straight used to be, but it won't actually be the main straight. They could have at least kept the strip of bitumen that had the finish line painted on it...