SAU Community

Damo's R32 Gts-r, On Going Project Fun Car. History And Use Full Info

DJRIFT

• 3 weeks later...

sick incar man, GOD your car makes good noises ,*starts dreaming* haha,

thanks mate. im not quite finished with the note just yet haha.

7 days till round 2 of the tas drift series. made one or 2 small alterations to the car.

i am also trying Kuhmo tyres for the first time. i have been running federals for years but thought id try somthing new.

Ive also had the car sign written with the 3 sponsors ive been lucky enough to pick up and also a bit of a graphic (of sorts) to help it look the part.

will upload some pics once its finished, the guys at Freestyle FX have done an excellent job of the Vynal. they also done it all in a day and stayed back late on a Friday so i could pick the car up. top job.

pending the result from round 2 the car may be getting a mid season birthday.

• 2 weeks later...

you were killing it at RND 1.

that battle with matt Russell? was crazy.

thanks mate. im hoping ill have more than one good battles at the next few rounds.

for the people that like to watch vids here is a very cool vid put together for round 2.

the weather was bullshit wet so i have a poor mount to pics and incar. will upload soon enough.

Edited by DJRIFT

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate,

what size wheels and tyres are you using for the sprint days?

Also still running standard r32 4spot brakes on this? What pads do you run?

i run a miss match depending on what i have and what rims are available. the last few events i have run 235 40 18 dunlops on r34 gtr rims. 18x9. they are light weight. and 285 35 18 Kuhmo on the rear but will be changing to 265 40 18 dunlops (due to availability and advice) on a pair of 18 x 10 light weight rims.

i am running r34 gtt stock rotors and calipers. they take the same pad but the rotors are 30mm bigger diameter. Pads are once again what ever i can get cheap. currently running Padjit pads. im pretty gentle on the brakes as i tend to lock them frequently.

This thread is an interesting read! I've followed your car/s since back in the 4 door days , good to see you don't listen to the net mechanics and try stuff for yourself! I find the r33 rack info quite interesting!

Thanks Toffy. I've found that you need to see stuf for yourself in life and learn from your own mistakes. I also like to do something a bit different and whist it isn't always a success it's individual and I have a good time learning.

right o, ive been slack getting these up but this is how the car looks now. round 2 was dismal weather wise and the sun only came out once i loaded it up to go home.

IMG_9291.jpg

So a BIG thanks goes to Boost Automotive who are helping me out for the remainder of this year. They are able to supply racers with full support in parts, labour and advice.

I currently use their services for: Power plus E85. Drift tires and race tires supplied and fitted. Dyno tuning. garrett turbos and much more.

http://www.boostautomotive.com.au/

IMG_9281.jpg

Levee Food Co for their on going support. Kerry has supported all of my motor sport since the start of this car. its also a nice place to dine with friends or unwind on a sunday arvo on the deck drinking beers.

http://www.leveefoodco.com.au/

And my newest addition from a good mate. Kings Meadows Sea Food, for the best original fish and chips. My mate Dimi has recently taken over the family business where i have eaten for the past 14 years. and they have continued to grow while all the others seem to disappear.

IMG_9274.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg

Dimi has also filmed and photographed my car from the outside since my original 4 door. he's also been there to assist when ever ive needed the help.

Im running at a Drift Prac this weekend and will be trying to sort a few of the handling issues ive started to notice. looking forward to having a free run with no pressure and heaps of laps available. the past 2 events i have only had 14 passes including 2 qualifying runs and my battles.

• 1 month later...

One week count down to my next outing.

I was very happy with the car last prac day so I've only done minor things. I've had to re paint a few bits after my round 2 excursion in the rock trap.

I didn't take any pics but I decided to gut the factory side intrusion bars out of my doors charting with the passenger one. I didn't want to gut the frame completely as I wanted to keep the glass and electric window operations for cost and minimal weight saving. I was able to get 10kg out of the one door. Very happy with a mod that cost nix.

I've also been developing a higher amperage bolt on alternator kit to suit rb engines designed for mainly rally where there is a high current requirement. Watch this space as I'll be putting up some info very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just going through some pics from the last event and thought id post them up.

as far as real updates go im currently building a second diff with different ratios to try at the next practice day. also been removing the fuse box and battery out of the engine bay to save some weight along with gutting my drivers door. will post up some pics when thats done.

DSC04287.jpg

DSC04284.jpg

DSC04305.jpg

DSC04432.jpg

• 2 months later...

its been a while since an update.

i did some drift demo laps for the improved production nationals round at barkerville a few weeks after round 3 and it was the first time ever getting to drift the last turn onto the front strait. car was grate the setup has come a long way in the last half a year of 2012

one of the laps looked like this.

i had been working on the car building a flat floor and different front bar ready for the light car club super sprint champs a few weeks after the drift demo so i haddent updated with any progress of the flat floor. this was all to be done after a successful day at the super sprints. well because race car and the way things go after 2 weeks of prep the car lunched an engine on lap 2 of the day. the excitement of this was topped off by ben damaging his engine by the end of his 4th lap.

with 2 weeks to the final round of the drift series and 4 weeks from xmas id had enough of cars. 1 week from the final round pulled the engine out and down to work out what went wrong and why and it was then found that a few new bits and it would live again. if i had have been in the top 8 of the series i may have fixed the engine in a week and got back out there but the decision was made to fix the engine properly and do a few odd jobs while the car is in bits ready for the 2013 drift series.

first event is power cruise tas on the last weekend of january. this is moreso a social outing and the only opportunity all year we get to drift the full track. i have every intention of fitting a passenger seat for this event as well.

here are some pics from the club day.

DSC05454.jpg

DSC05441.jpg

DSC05442.jpg

DSC05433.jpg

Thanks Roy. It's taken a while. Only a few things left to do now.

Thanks bushy. Yea the bar is odd. I've had it for nearly 2 years. It needed some love. I think it's molded off a tommi kiera r33 front bar. The pic isn't the best but I'm sure you will see it at some stage in 2013.

And a ride will be fine providing I get a passenger seat in in time.

• 2 weeks later...

i may need to take you up on that offer jangles. i thought i had one floating about but turned out to be drivers side one. i have a sparco bucket to go in there but seats take fab time i dont have

Spent a chunk of today porting the exhaust ready to take to the machinist tomorrow. just getting the valves re-seated as there was minimal damage to the head. i pulled the head apart myself thanks to a very handy tool boost automotive have and found some very dodgy work from the last engine machinist. needless to say will never be using or recommending them again.

also cleaned the block ready to be honed and reassembled and washed down the exhaust manifold ready to be repaired.

oh and the cause of the engine failure was due to a faulty injector. 2 faulty injectors actually it just happened to be that no 6 was the weakest of the 2 so it went pop first.

i cant thank Brad from boost automotive enough for his help in diagnosing the fault. quite a few components were checked and tested to make sure the cause was found.

Edited by DJRIFT