SAU Community

Decision Issues

hay guys, i no how most forums resent "X vs Y" threads mainly because they have been covered 10000times but I have done a thorough search of google, this forum aswell as a few others yet still haven't found an exact answer...

my question, im stuck on my decision between a series 2 33, s14 and s15....

i've just recently acquired my full licence and left my beloved 60kw vtec civic after making love to it all through my p's lol

i've got a budget of around $15,000 and until recently s15 was not an option, but seeing as how there are a couple popping up for around 16,17 i figured its achievable..

power wise im aiming for around 200kw atw for a daily, i belive in all 3 of my options this is somewhat a reasonable figure.

the car will never c a track day and most probably never a drag strip either...

BUT i want lowend power more so than top end power so i figured the torque from the rb25 is an advantage over the sr20 am i right?? to sum up the power side of things, i'd prefer a redlight light warrior over a freeway monster like a tt supra or something.

please do understand i am not looking for a hoon mobile... RE: exterior modifications, the car will be left stock maybe sum HID's and a good ride height, maybe a lip kit of some sort, definently no chrome or bodykits..

sorry for the long post, but i've spend like 3 years looking for a car and im still so confused about it lolll

thanks guys

Personally I'd go the S15, the R33 are known hoon mobiles, which is something you would like to avoid. The R33 has become so common and so cheap that its instant cop bait and it really doesnt do that much for people any more myself included, the R33 GTR thats another story. The S15 is a proper little sports car, great handling and it looks good to boot, most importantly its completely different to the HMAS R33, its looks light and nimble and plus chicks dig S15's.

I'd go the 33. But why not just drive all 3 and make the decision for yourself. Keep in mind that the s15 will have a much higher insurance premium than the R33. For me it would cost me like 500-600 more than my R33 to insure an S15.

I don't really know why people give a f**k if there's a lot of people own the same car as yourself. Is your ego that big that you must have something that others do not? Cops will pull over an import =\

Personally I'd go the S15, the R33 are known hoon mobiles, which is something you would like to avoid. The R33 has become so common and so cheap that its instant cop bait and it really doesnt do that much for people any more myself included, the R33 GTR thats another story. The S15 is a proper little sports car, great handling and it looks good to boot, most importantly its completely different to the HMAS R33, its looks light and nimble and plus chicks dig S15's.

thanks mate, honestly, i considered a 33gtr when my budget was around 20k, but couldn't justify the near 30grand price tag on most of them, plus having driven in one before, it doesn't have the lowend pull that im after, more of a +4800rpm type of car i think right?

the S15 is really a "if im lucky and find a great deal i'll buy it" sort of car, because 15k is tight for the S15

I'd go the 33. But why not just drive all 3 and make the decision for yourself. Keep in mind that the s15 will have a much higher insurance premium than the R33. For me it would cost me like 500-600 more than my R33 to insure an S15.

I don't really know why people give a f**k if there's a lot of people own the same car as yourself. Is your ego that big that you must have something that others do not? Cops will pull over an import =\

i am not concerned about which is more popular etc, i think franga meant that because there are so many hoon R33's that police target them more? i guess in a sense this is right, you are more likely to get pulled over in a WRX than a S15 in the long run...

thanks mate, honestly, i considered a 33gtr when my budget was around 20k, but couldn't justify the near 30grand price tag on most of them, plus having driven in one before, it doesn't have the lowend pull that im after, more of a +4800rpm type of car i think right?

the S15 is really a "if im lucky and find a great deal i'll buy it" sort of car, because 15k is tight for the S15

a stock 33gtr will have exactly what you want. the low end. the 4800rpm+ one that you drove must have been modified with lagggy turbo(s).

Sorry to break it but you wont get much more down low pull than a GTR with stock or similar turbos.

R33: Go series two, pick some nice subtle rims and keep the stock kit. I'd rip off the spoiler too (and that just apperance...) They're common and get a lot of attention from the oink oink. Not to mention they are pretty ugly in stock form. The rb25 is great to modify though!

S15: I'd pick this out of the list hands down. nice, quick cars. JDM ones will hold their value better, but will prob be out of your price range because of that. Maybe save up a bit more first? It'll be worth it in the end. Heaps of part for the SR too.

S14: MUST be a series two. i.e. s14a. Series ones are ugly as. A nice aggressive body kit all round, lowered a bit with decent rims and you have a f**king sick looking car IMO. Same as with the s15, parts easy to come by, light, handle well too!

Considered an r32? You could pick up a good GTS-t for under 10 grand then spend some money on one, maybe even an rb25 conversion if you/your friends are mechanically minded...

thanks guys, just to let u guy no, if im getting a skyline, its going to be 40th anni' edition 97 or 98 model R33... if im getting a s14 its gotta be 97 n above.... just let go of my 94 civic, and dont want to go back in time again, R32 interior was to oldschool for my liking so i cut that off the list...

thanks X trail, but as i mentioned in my OP that im leaving exterior stock with lowered springs, stock rims, maybe maybe maybe a lip kit of some sort...

anyone have anything else to say about the performance factor of things? sr20 v Rb25??

Stock for stock the RB25 is faster. The RB25 will take more abuse than it's younger brother with alloy heads. The power delivery in an RB25 is extremely smooth, really is a pleasure to drive. I haven't been in an SR20 in ages but iirc it wasn't as smooth.

I'd say both engines are good and if you're just going to do minor mods, just buy the one you like the look of, sounds better and handles to your liking.

If you take a test drive in both cars you'll know 100% which one you want by the time you tested both.

definently not interested in the R34's, only ever will i touch one if its got GTR at the end of its name :ninja:

thanks very much rb25pwr i am getting the similar sort of response from ns.com aswell

why not a r34? the neo rb makes more power than any of the cars you mentioned stock... more modern interior etc....

s15 sums up exactly what your after, lip kit, wheels is all they need. plenty of response if you make some small adjustments and all round nicer then a 33.

problem is low ks s15 are pricey for what they are.

sorry shoulda read more posts forget s15 ur budget wont allow. get an r33 because s14s also are pricey for what they are.

What I posted on NS...

All cars have a similar setup, eg, turbo, 5 speed / 6 speed manual, RWD, they are all pretty quick off the mark.

But you would gain more top end with the Skyline as it is a 2.5lt, inline 6 vs 2lt inline 4.

All 3 cars will have its own characteristics and I suggest you test drive all 3 cars and you decide which you prefer.

S14 and S15 are pretty much the same but you won't find a S15 for $15,000 (Not that I know of) at least $16K and up to mid $20K's.

R33 GTS-T, price from $9K to $25K (Some will say best bang for your buck)

All car are easy to take advantage of the power.

But looks wise I'd go S15 / S14 then R33.

I have to agree. When it comes to bang for buck the R33 GTST beats the S14/S15 argument (in my opinion)

When it comes to power upgrades, I am a fan of the SR20, but agree with comments about RB motors being smoother. I've got an RB20DET in my HR31 and it's like a sewing machine. Extremely smooth.

The SR is like a v8. Lumpy and noisy!

I also agree that R33 = a Magnet for the police.

I'd go for a really late S14a, one of the hi-spec ones with the factory style body kit.

Because they look the goods in factory form, all is needed is a set of nice wheels (r33gtr's!) and a nice ride height and you done.

Plus being a s14, you could pick one up and have some change leftover for modification or maintence.

PS: Hi Nik!

A bugger it. :ninja:

I'd go a 1972 Datsun 1600 with an SR20DET.

Just run the factory motor with FMIC and 3" exhaust and it will out perform any lightly modified Silvia or RB25DET skyline :P

Hi Waz/Dan!

I don't think you've driven the right one.

The R33 GT-R is so much more upgradable anyway - and it can stick like glue around a corner.

A GT-R is a GT-R. When Shoisman took the R33 GT-R around Nurburgring in less than 8' & Kirosawa in 8'01" those cars were stock.

Nothing else could touch em at the time.

So to increase low end power, go for Propellers like 2530s, HKS-SS, GT2860-5s, and don't forget to get 700cc injectors, fuel pump, yaddayadda

Edited by CARSICK

If you could find an s15 that cheap I would definately go for it over the r33.

Having said that, i'm not sure that you will find one in great condition for that price where you could buy a very good condition 33 for around 10-13k and still have money left over for rego/insurance etc...

What's wrong with the 34? When I was looking I found some for around 16.5K.

Plus factory comparison to factory comparison the GTR's usually have slightly less lag than the RB25's because of the twin turbo setup.

I've driven an R32 GTR with Garrett T28's and the engine still had plenty of grunt and full boost by around 3200rpm. Was excellent. Mind you I haven't driven an R33 GTST so can't really compare.